Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iphoto albums, slideshows have vanished

iphoto albums, slideshows have vanished
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2012, 09:24 PM

All of the albums and slideshows that I've had for years have suddenly vanished. I had a bit of a struggle importing some photos today and may have disconnected my device improperly. Could that have caused this problem?

Looks like all the photos and events are still there, but the many albums and slideshows are gone.

All that appears on the left side of the window under "Albums" is "Recovered Photos" which contain the import I did earlier today.

Is this an easy fix? I've been using Time Machine to back up.

Using iPhoto 7.1.5

Thanks.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2012, 03:20 AM

If you have a Time Machine backup, then close iPhoto, navigate into your pictures folder in Finder, open Time Machine and restore a version of your iPhoto library from just before the import that went wrong. Then just redo that import.

You could rename or trash (but not empty) the hosed iPhoto library before restoring from Time Machine, if you have enough free space for both, so that the restore doesn't replace it, just in case something goes wrong with the restore.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2012, 08:31 PM

Thanks. Good ideas.

What are the steps for renaming the hosed iPhoto library?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2012, 06:25 AM

Close iPhoto and rename it in Finder, just like any other file or folder.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2012, 10:27 AM

Also, you can first try just holding down the Cmd and Option keys while starting up iPhoto (press and hold them down before and while clicking on the icon on the Dock), and selecting the various options to verify and repair your iPhoto library.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2012, 10:42 AM

Thanks you guys.

Just finally got to look at TM and sure enough the old iPhoto version that had my
slides and albums is there in the source pane.

So just need to proceed with caution with your directions as I don't want to blow it.

I live in fear that I'll lose all the photos just to get some albums and slideshows back
which begs another question.

Can I access just the albums or sildeshow I need directly from TM and dispense with
the restoring? Hmmm?

Forum Links
Forum Rules