Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Running application only on external display

Running application only on external display
gphillipk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 09:40 AM

I've bought a Fujitsu-Siemens 17" LCD display and immediately noticed how much brighter it is than my 6-month old PowerBook screen.
What I'd like to know is if its possible to change an application's behaviour such that all the windows appear on the external display. I do not want to have to drag over every new window I open to the external display.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 18, 2005, 09:45 AM

Turn on Mirroring.... in Display preferences

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2005, 09:47 AM

Function key and F5 or F6 i believe lests to change teh display properties when an external monitor is connected. It's the function key with the two boxes overlapping each other. By hitting that key you can have the external monitor off, external minitor mirror powerbook display, external monitor extend powerbook's desktop. and external monitor as the main display.

Not to offend you but since you were not aware of that you do realize that you can adjust the brightness of the powerbook's display?
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

gphillipk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 09:58 AM

Eerr, yes. I'm aware of the 2 buttons to adjust brightness...no offence taken. Before I wrote that, I turned the PB screen to its brightest; the external display is still brighter. Dragged over the same window that was on the external display and did a comparison...anyway, thanks for the F7 suggestion. What I was actually wondering was if I could change an individual application's behaviour...but I've noticed that after I initially drag over all the usual windows that I work with, any new similar ones open on the external display automatically.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2005, 10:39 AM

Yeah, it was F7. Being on a Tibook I wasn't sure if they were the same. One thing to note I have tried on my PowerMac since i dual displays on that. If you have applications and windows open on the second display then use one display, say you take your powerbook out of town, and open the same applications in one window. When you reconnect the second dispay (must be the same exact one) OSX remembers what applications and windows you were using there and goes back to using the second display that way. A very nice and cool feature.
( Last edited by southtdi; Aug 18, 2005 at 10:40 AM. Reason: text error)
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

gphillipk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 10:52 AM

The kind of thing that makes me drool with admiration... I also noted that when I connected the external display the first time, OSX almost immediately recognised the model of the display without me installing any drivers...

Forum Links
Forum Rules