Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which is the best looking laptop?

Which is the best looking laptop?
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2005, 12:24 AM

Hi,

Just curious as to the various opinions out there. I've had pretty much all the different powerbooks after the pismo, and I was wondering what you thought was the best looking laptop that you have seen or experienced. The sony vaios are definitely attractive. But what else?

In terms of Apple laptops, I think that even though the aluminum line is nice, I must say that I really like the titanium line better, especially when the titanium powerbook is in good condition with no flaking paint, etc. The thinness makes it unique, even today, and i really like the contrast of the silver and dark keyboard. After that, I think the 17" powerbook is simply in a class of its own. I never really cared for the ibook g4 line, I always felt that they looked a little cheap.

So what's your opinion? regardless of performance, specs, etc., what's the best portable that has caught your eye?
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

christopher.y.wang@gmail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 12:47 AM

i have a ti 15 in, 867 mhz. i still get compliments from friends on campus like "oooooh did you get a new laptop?" (it's almost 3 yrs old now, but i keep ridiculously good care of it) other than the apple's, which i think are the most beautiful laptops in the world, the newer sony vaio's are pretty sexy and have very cool high tech looking colors.

~CW

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2005, 12:58 AM

Hi,

That's what i think about titaniums. If they are well taken care of they look simply amazing and beautiful. I was fortunate to get the used one in my sig in mint condition. I've seen them with paint chips and dents and its just sad to see. There really are not too many laptops today that can match the design of the titaniums (nor the aluminums for that matter).
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2005, 01:01 AM

I agree. I like the way Sony designs their laptops. Very innovative, way more innovative than most manufacturers...most don't have a clue. Just large and clunky blocks of plastic and parts with no rhyme or reason to layout. I think that's what impresses people most about the Apple Powerbooks....the design of how they're layed out. There are no 'words' all over the laptop telling the user 'this is the usb port, this is the power, this is the internet shortcut key..etc.' Apple takes for granted their users have enough of a brain that they can figure it out themselves. And I agree, I love the Ti series. I could never go back to the Al. (I sold my Al for a Ti).
"I cluck, therefor I am."

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2005, 02:33 AM

My wife just did the opposite: traded her 15" Ti (and cash) for a 17" Al. Personally I like the smoothness and clean lines of the Al better , though the Ti was thinner, pretty sleek looking and maybe a tad more distinctive than the Al. I prefer the current silver to the old black keyboard, which reminds me of so many PC laptops and wasn't as responsive as the new one. And I Iike not having that door on the back to cover the ports. But the clincher is the paint leprosy problem she was starting to experience with the Ti.

Both are beauties, but I think I prefer the less cluttered look of the Al. In fact, it's so beautifully simplistic I'm wondering how the next generation Powerbooks will top it without starting to look cluttered or like all the other laptops out there. But I bet Jonathan Ive will figure out a way!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2005, 03:09 AM

Best looking? Sony X505/SP

Mmm, CFRP

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by brettcamp
My wife just did the opposite: traded her 15" Ti (and cash) for a 17" Al. Personally I like the smoothness and clean lines of the Al better , though the Ti was thinner, pretty sleek looking and maybe a tad more distinctive than the Al.
But weren't the 17" Al's also 1" thick? But there again, that could be my bad...

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2005, 09:54 PM

The 17" Al books are thinner than the 15" Al books.
"I cluck, therefor I am."

Forum Links
Forum Rules