Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac HDD

iMac HDD
Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2005, 10:21 PM

I threw a 120GB HDD in my iMac 800mhz FP, and all I am getting is a grey screen. Do these particular models support these larger drives? Or should I stick with a faster 7200 60 or 80GB HDD?
"I cluck, therefor I am."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2005, 10:26 PM

120GB is under the 128GB (137 billion bytes) limitation.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2005, 10:48 PM

Your drive is fully supported. In fact, any hard drive will work in your iMac. If you are telling us that you can't boot the machine from the CD, I'd advise you to take another look inside and make sure you got everything hooked up right.

Chris

Jacob  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2005, 11:40 PM

Well, I did, just a grey screen. In fact, I set the drive as master, cable select, slave, changed the other drive around for the heck of it ...just to see if it would work...still no go. Reset the PMU, reset the PRAM. Still nothing, and the thing was too stubborn to open up the CD-ROM drive.
"I cluck, therefor I am."

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2005, 12:56 AM

Take out the hard drive and see if you can boot from the CD. That will narrow the problem down--you'll know if it's the hard drive or not.

Chris

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2005, 06:02 AM

Orig from Chabig:-

".... In fact, any hard drive will work in your iMac..." - just to be a pedant, any PATA IDE drive should work, obviously not a SATA or SCSI drive etc (but I guess these have different connectors so don't plug in anyway)

I only wanted to add that as others reading this forum may misinterpret it.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2005, 11:36 AM

Will, you are right. I should have been more specific. Any parallel ATA hard drive will work, without regard to size. On machines that are limited to 128GB, larger hard drives still work, you just can't use the full capacity. Thanks.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules