Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "Warning: Terminal is not fully functional" -- ???

"Warning: Terminal is not fully functional" -- ???
brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 02:15 AM

In Terminal, I got the message "warning: terminal is not fully functional -- press RETURN" when running find.

Never seen this before and I can't seem to find out what it is either on these forums or by Googling.

Any ideas? The terminal prefs say I'm running /bin/bash.

Thanks!

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2006, 08:02 AM

What was the find command. I will see if I can replicate it. Also were you running this on an OS X machine via Terminal?

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 01:07 PM

What do you get if you type

echo $TERM

? For the standard Terminal app, it should be set to 'xterm-color'. Having this set to a less capable terminal could cause the error you're seeing.

brachiator  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 04:32 PM

WJMoore, now I can't even replicate it! It was something like find lame* - I am not that familiar with find and was monkeying around before RTFM. (I have since closed that Terminal window.)

Yes, this was on an OSX machine in Terminal. 10.4.8 on a Powerbook 1.67mhz. I'm not sure if I was logged in in Terminal on my standard, non-admin account or on my admin account.

chrismear, the Terminal window in which I'm logged in on my non-admin, everyday account echoes "xterm-color". The window in which I'm logged in as admin echoes "network."

But again, I can't reproduce this... Maybe there was just something funny about the Terminal session I was using at the time?

Thanks!

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 12, 2006, 05:02 PM

maybe this google search will help?

brachiator  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 05:30 PM

rjt1000, I'm a dumbass on so many levels.

First, I did use The Google to search for that string, but I also added the term "osx," which severely limited the responses. That comes of being a Unix noob and thinking this was a Mac issue...

The search you set gave a lot more hits and plenty of research to do. SO far, seems the answer may be that terminfo is not populated systemwide...

I recall now that I was not getting the error on running find, but on running man find. And this error is pretty well documented in the hits on the search for that string. Also seems to appear with less.

I've also narrowed it down and reproduced it under the following circumstances. First, it doesn't happen using Terminal as the GUI logged in user. If I run man find as myself when logged into the GUI in either my non-admin account or my admin account, there is no problem.

But if I log in in the Terminal as the other account, $TERM echoes "network" and the warning appears running man find.

Thanks a lot!

Mike

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 13, 2006, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by brachiator View Post
...being a Unix noob

Thanks a lot!
Me too. Hope it helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules