Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iLife 07' dissappointment...

iLife 07' dissappointment...
solofx7
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 01:47 PM

it is nearly the end of 07' and there is still no new iLife 07 or iWork 07...
i am slightly concerned as to why there is not even as much as a peep about them.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 03:05 PM

It's only June, just barely half way through the year.
Apple said yesterday that 10.5 will be shipping in October. I'm sure we'll hear something between now and then about new versions of iLife and iWork.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2007, 03:24 PM

I sure hope so. Both iWeb and iPhoto could use a refresh, none of the apps seem to get as much attention as iTunes - though I guess they don't really bring in money. Then there's iWork, which still doesn't have an aswer to Excel.

We're only halfway through the year though...

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by shinykaro View Post
I sure hope so. Both iWeb and iPhoto could use a refresh, none of the apps seem to get as much attention as iTunes - though I guess they don't really bring in money. Then there's iWork, which still doesn't have an aswer to Excel.

We're only halfway through the year though...
sorry, i did notice that when i posted this that we are roughly half way through the year.
i think they all need a refresh.
on a semi-side note. i really think that Apple needs to do something like Entourage.
email - contacts - calendar - notes - password secured notes - address book.
putting all of those apps that belong together only makes sense. i am tired of using a bunch of different apps and having to launch them to get one little tidbit of info... coherence is a great idea.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2007, 04:20 PM

Woah no. What's wrong with an app to manage contacts that's not part of a huge sprawling monster? You can set it to launch at startup.

danaherd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 04:27 PM

I'm betting we don't see an iLife 07 and that the next one comes out in 08.

vaccy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 10:49 AM

I would tend to disagree...I believe iLife 7 will be released in October.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by danaherd View Post
I'm betting we don't see an iLife 07 and that the next one comes out in 08.
against my wants and desires, i will agree here.
i think that it is too late in the year to launch as a part of 07...

in regards to the sprawling monster...
i see it both ways. sometimes it is too much stuff going on plus a long launch time, but other times you have to open 4 - 5 programs to get all of the info or put the info together. in that aspect i think it is a bit much.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by vaccy View Post
I would tend to disagree...I believe iLife 7 will be released in October.
The problem with releasing '07 in October is that three months later, it will seem outdated. I'm not against an October release, but it better be called either '08 or something else (iLife 3? iLife Leopard? iLife XTREME?)

Plus, you know people will compare iWork '07 with Office 2008... "Well, we could get the iWork thing... but Office is newer! Let's buy that one!"

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
sorry, i did notice that when i posted this that we are roughly half way through the year.
i think they all need a refresh.
on a semi-side note. i really think that Apple needs to do something like Entourage.
email - contacts - calendar - notes - password secured notes - address book.
putting all of those apps that belong together only makes sense. i am tired of using a bunch of different apps and having to launch them to get one little tidbit of info... coherence is a great idea.
I agree coherence is a great idea, but I feel like we sort of get it already. Mail already pulls my contact info from Address Book, and I think there's limited integration with iCal. From what I've seen on Apple's website, updated Mail will be able to recognize info such as addresses and event dates and be more closely integrated with Address Book and iCal to automatically exchange that information. And this happens without having to launch them all, so I guess I feel like we're halfway there already. Building too much into one application can make it more confusing for a lot of users and that is not Apple's m.o. I do think that some of their apps could benefit from enhancements but there's a reason they keep them so simple, I doubt it's something they'd sacrifice.

And yeah, the iSuites definitely, definitely need a refresh, and though it's only June and technically not too late for more annoucements, tying the next release to the year and releasing it in the second half would make it feel outdated real fast. I think I was really hoping this stuff would be built into Leopard and from that point on be tied into the OS updates.

Truth42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 03:53 PM

Along with some people here, I tend to think that Apple will jump straight to iLife '08.

Leopard will appear in October, iLife will be clinging to its tail.

No marketing person would want to begin 2008 with iLife '07 on the shelves and looking already out of date. ILife 08 will be far more marketable.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 04:36 PM

There are some rumors that iLife 07 might ship before 10.5.

Sethro
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2007, 06:15 PM

Yeah apparently some sites like Apple Insider just got the scoop that Mac iLife 07' is just gone golden meaning that its feature complete, dont be suprised if we get a few screenshots in the near future. I was personally hoping for iWork 07' would be relased soon. Just because Microsoft Office is too slow and I need something that can handle more. Pages is a great application but when dealing with more than 15 page documents it gets really slow.

Taylor C
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2007, 11:39 PM

Personally, I think if the next revision of iLife is released this calendar year, they'll just call it iLife '08. It makes sense, honestly. A lot of products are announced/released several months prior to the revision year their name corresponds to. An update in October or even later wouldn't be unusual.
15" MacBook Pro - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 2GB - 7200RPM 160GB HD
20" iMac - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 1 GB - 250GB
8GB iPhone

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2007, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sethro View Post
Yeah apparently some sites like Apple Insider just got the scoop that Mac iLife 07' is just gone golden meaning that its feature complete
Actually, "going gold" means complete complete, as in "this is the version that people will be buying" complete. More of a difference than you'd think, actually.

Originally Posted by Taylor C
Personally, I think if the next revision of iLife is released this calendar year, they'll just call it iLife '08. It makes sense, honestly. A lot of products are announced/released several months prior to the revision year their name corresponds to. An update in October or even later wouldn't be unusual.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2007, 10:19 AM

If the rumors are true, we should be getting ready for an announcement soon. ThinkSecret claims that redesigned iMacs are coming in August, so we might hear about iLife before then. I hope so. The iPhone is cool and all, but I've been dying for significant hardware and software news. Let's hope for some screenshot goodness.

Here's another thought: the WWDC 2007 Leopard presentation hinted at more usability and functions in .Mac. Is anyone expecting tighter iLife/.Mac integration?

hamertime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2007, 02:02 PM

Mac Rumors: iMac Revision, iLife, iPods on August 7th? [Update]

ThinkSecret (c/o MacRumors) says the new iMacs are probably coming out on August 7th, with a high probability that the new iLife, whatever they'll call it, will be coming out then as well.

What do you all think? Is this likely? I'm actually thinking about waiting until August 7th to buy a macbook pro for the chance of having the new iLife for free instead of going out and buying one this very minute. Is this wise?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by hamertime View Post
I'm actually thinking about waiting until August 7th to buy a macbook pro for the chance of having the new iLife for free instead of going out and buying one this very minute. Is this wise?
August 7th is two weeks away. I would wait, unless you honestly need it before then (college starting, etc). You probably wouldn't get the new iLife free though. Story time: I bought my old iBook a week after iLife '06 was released. Obviously, the box did not contain the new version, as it had been sitting in a store. Instead, Apple hosted a program where you could upgrade to the new iLife for ~$10, provided you could show proof of purchase that you bought your computer after the new iLife was released.

Of course, if you are buying online, my entire point is moot.

hamertime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Of course, if you are buying online, my entire point is moot.
Why?

Forum Links
Forum Rules