Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > All 64-bit apps crash – but they run in 32-bit mode?!?

All 64-bit apps crash – but they run in 32-bit mode?!?
brachiator
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 06:25 PM

I've been trying to run the new beta of Lightroom in 64-bit mode, by unchecking the "Open in 32 Bit Mode" box in Get Info for the application. It crashes every time, although it runs fine in 32 Bit Mode.

Now I've realized that every 64-bit application crashes. Both Chess and XCode crash after I've used Get Info to move them into 64 Bit Mode. Both run fine in 32 Bit Mode.

Any ideas? I'm fresh out of them, short of reinstalling the OS. Thanks!
Mike

In each case, the crash log detail begins with:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00007fff80c1a040
Crashed Thread: 0
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2008, 06:33 PM

Have you run Monolingual or any other space-saving software along those lines? Some of them will strip architectures from the system frameworks, which would result in 64-bit apps dying if their framework parts were removed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

brachiator  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 06:39 PM

Thanks, Chuckit. I've regularly run a Perl script equivalent to Monolingual. I guess I outsmarted myself, eh?

Are these likely to be OS-level frameworks or merely application-specific frameworks? I installed Lightroom, for example, well after running the Monolingual script last time.

Assuming they are OS-level, any way to restore those frameworks without doing a full reinstall? Ouch!

Thanks again.
Mike
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2008, 02:38 AM

It would be OS-level frameworks, though I suppose private application frameworks would get bitten too. I don't think there's any easier way to restore the system frameworks than an archive-and-install. Sorry.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2008, 08:17 AM

Is space that tight that you or others run these types of scripts. While many people have run monolingual successfully. I've read more then my share of posts of people running these and all of sudden they cannot run carbon apps or perhaps in this case run 64bit apps.

I generally do not run any "clean up" scripts or applications that go into library or the system folder, just too risky.

brachiator  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 10:18 PM

Chuckit, thanks. A fresh install did the trick.

MacosNerd, my using this script was a combination of old-school thinking from back in the days of running OSX on a small laptop, and some sort of weird "get those non-English .lproj outta there" linguaphobia.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 10:31 PM

For the record, I have to say 64-bit runs fine here, but it appears you have solved your problem
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules