Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Computer randomly shuts down.! Help Please!!!

Computer randomly shuts down.! Help Please!!!
kobain06
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2008, 05:49 PM

I am running windows xp service pack 2 via bootcamp on my mcbook pro. My computer will automatically turn off at random times. Before it shuts down however, I get a blue screen that lasts 1 second. I am taking a test tomorrow and I need my laptop to work properly. I'm scared that it will randomly shut down while I am taking it. If anyone has any clue to what is going on, please help me!!! Thank you.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 8, 2008, 06:30 PM

Any idea what was running before it shut down? That could have a lot to do with it...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kobain06  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2008, 12:14 AM

I was only running firefox, that's it. It happend to me before when I was running microsoft's "One Note" program. I recently got this computer so I wouldn't be having any of these problems. There are tons of threads online of people having these same problems, but it seems either 1) I cannot find it or 2) no one knows how to solve this yet. I need some serious help. thanks.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 9, 2008, 12:17 AM

^Your first steps is to figure our with ghporter said. Also I know this is a dumb question, but was it ever plugged in when it shuts down. If it wasn't plugged it, it could be a faulty battery. I know mine is about 2 years old and about once every few months or so I'll get a random shut down. Nothing too serious for me since I'm always plugged in. The blue screen you're getting does kind of cancel out the battery issue to an extent. Usually if it's a battery issue it just turns off and you don't get any screen, just a cold slap in the face.

Post how you're doing and any results!

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 9, 2008, 12:19 AM

Well if you just got it, that also would pretty much cancel out the battery issue. I would make sure all the drivers and updates are properly installed. If this is common then there might be a quick fix for it.

kobain06  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2008, 12:21 AM

no, it still shuts down, plugged in or not. This has happend to me 3 times over the past month and is becoming more rapid.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 9, 2008, 12:26 AM

Is it only shutting off when you're running XP via Bootcamp? And do you need to use XP for your test?

kobain06  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2008, 01:29 AM

yes, that is correct.

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2008, 02:27 AM

why not just run it in osx for the test?
Bow chicka bow-wow

Forum Links
Forum Rules