Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Customizing OS X Theme...

Customizing OS X Theme...
Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2009, 12:43 PM

OK so I recently switched my sister, and so I've for the most part been surprised at how easily I can make the Mac work in the non intuitive more Windows like way she's used to. (tap to click instead of pressing the track pad, switching command and control key functions etc) The other day she said she wanted to get rid of this, "Awful grey". Now, granted her previous windows laptop had the most strange and unappealing combination of the classic theme with a green over lay and a cursive pink font (no joke), but I gotta say it is weird that Apple really doesn't make room for much OS customization beyond changing your wall paper and icons.

I've heard about a few theming apps I'm not sure how much I trust em all, I know I used to run Uno back in the day sometimes, but I think it'd be nice if Apple gave us a few more colour options than just the stop lights. I'm aware it would mean that some icons wouldn't look super great or this that and the other thing, but there's gotta be a few options.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2009, 03:08 PM

check out macthemes2.net...a great resource for customizing the GUI (there's also a gui forum here at macnn, kinda dead these days..)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 12:13 PM

Hmmm how was leopard out for so long but nobody came out with theming apps for it? I guess that juts says how good Apple's been with the GUI... or how people care more about iPhone apps now?

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 02:11 PM

OS X theming is dead, unfortunately.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2009, 09:24 PM

Really unfortunately. I am a color oriented type, so I customize everything in my environment with this in mind. The only thing I can't adapt to my taste is my OS! Thank goodness for the Abstract 1 Desktop

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Hmmm how was leopard out for so long but nobody came out with theming apps for it? I guess that juts says how good Apple's been with the GUI... or how people care more about iPhone apps now?
More like how Apple made it even more difficult to theme the OS. Whatever happened to BBX anyway?
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2009, 04:21 PM

"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was "Oh no, not again". Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now."

the same unfortunately goes for anything asking about BBX.

see SkinFactory and William Bart.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Aug 17, 2009, 11:40 PM

I was spoiled when I came on board during Tiger. I've been scraping by with a theme here and there by a dedicated artist. I will always hold hope though.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2009, 04:14 AM

You know I'm actually very puzzled by Apple's hard core dedicated reluctance to let us theme it. Why not make it easy? They know by now that there's a huge demand for this kind of thing. And they know that the OS X... look... theme... is what a LOT of windows users converted over. Can anyone tell me why? I just want to know.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2009, 11:25 AM

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2009, 12:53 PM

Wow, thanks Carter!
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

JayMan8081
Aug 24, 2009, 10:54 AM

Awesome! I've been looking for a way to theme Leopard for a while now. Nice article carterx!

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2009, 09:10 PM

every time we get a new OS (each year)
Apple break the theming community
it takes a while to figure a new work around and by then...a new OSX
I am hoping for something a little more elegant next year
...will be a visual year

J

Curiosity
Senior User
Sep 27, 2009, 02:04 AM

I cannot figure why Apple did not at least let users choose their own cursors. The tiny black cursor which you get with Mac OS is very difficult to see against a dark desktop. If they had even provided cursors of different colours, that would have helped.

Mac007
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2009, 12:12 PM

To quote Dr. Frankenstein, "it's alive!!!" ThemePark has been updated for Snow Leopard!

Get it here: http://www.geekspiff.com/download.php?product=themepark
It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness

Forum Links
Forum Rules