Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What would a larger iPad really be good for?

What would a larger iPad really be good for?
HamSandwich
Feb 17, 2014, 05:04 PM

Thought this is worth its own thread, really. Any ideas?

I don't know, I'm often non-plussed I haven't seen them so much around. I mean, tablets with bigger screens. The screens should be there anyway, as this is netbook and ultrabook territory, at leaet without the touching.
Wouldn't that be great for many things? Or is it iPad's portability that makes iPads great?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2014, 06:40 PM

Utterly

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2014, 06:46 PM

Netbooks no longer exist. There is no such thing as "netbook territory", because that is what iPad completely soaked up.

I would rather like a larger iPad for:

—Magazine reading.
—A4-size display of sheet music and lead sheets for live work.
—nicer display of video.
—better editing of photos.

my next one will probably be a 10" iPad Air, though.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2014, 09:16 PM

2 apps at the same time.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2014, 10:00 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2014, 01:27 AM

Bwhahahahah

-t

HamSandwich
Feb 18, 2014, 04:33 AM

That's large

HamSandwich
Feb 21, 2014, 05:18 AM

Well, I don't know. I get confused all the time about why the iMac is not as thin as an iPad. You could simply build an iPad with a 20-inch screen, put a stand behind it and forget about the retina thing and use the resolution they use now. Just a thought - it pushes enough pixels already to be reasonably fast here. That would be slim.

I rather thought about uses like video editing and image editing. I used Photoshop Touch for a while to do graphics work, I did study graphics design for a while, I thought it was fantastic, but the tiny screen is confusing. You sort of fall in love with big screen estate when you use a large display for image work. Touching your image, for many purposes, could become a serious alternative.
Video editing I sort of image to be reasonable.

That's what I would more image an iPad Pro to be like, a big screen, maybe a stand, not as portable, a total touch based alternative, a good test for what touch could mean for desktop users. My parent's TV streams cable TV to the iPad at wish, so that would be better either, solving the whole widescreen or not so wide a screen debate by simply using a bigger screen.
What would it feel like in your lap though? I say not bad.

Maybe someone thought about all this BEFORE ever releasing an iPad at this size to market, though, and they ditched it for good reasons.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
Well, I don't know. I get confused all the time about why the iMac is not as thin as an iPad.
Because iMacs are much more powerful in terms of CPU and GPU, and include a lot of extra hardware like I/O boards for USB, Thunderbolt, Ethernet, more RAM etc...

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2014, 07:27 PM

A lot of which boils (ha!) down to heat dissipation. A modern Intel CPU without a large (relatively speaking) heat sink on it will instantly fry itself if you powered it up. Heat sinks take up space. They work better with fans, which take up more space and need room for airflow.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2014, 09:35 PM

Plus, what does it friggin' matter if my iMac is 1/2" thin vs. 1/4" thin.

It's sitting on my desk, no in my hand.

-t

ScottGG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2014, 12:40 AM

First, before anyone starts with the on this. I think you need to look at a use of a larger screen. I can see Apple making a whole new line of systems that is more Mac OSX and a little less iOS without pushing the complete Mac OSX into a full Tablet system, which if you think about it would seriously kill another market system from Wacom. Now the Wacom group has released 2 portable Tablets with pens that run full versions of PhotoShop right now on Win OS...Right! Who Cares!!! It's very cool looking and does run nice, but it's still the Win-Junk under the hood. Now we also have a company that offers a conversion of a MacBook Pro to a full Tablet System called a ModBook. Yes we all know the sorted history behind that dead end company when they first came out. Well the owner Andreas Hass has returned to do it again but this time with the MacBook pro. I saw a played with the Modbook Pro at PDN Photo Expo NYC October 2013. I have to say that after a few years of playing with the design they seem to have finally got it correct. Although how the first model was abandoned still leaves lots of us owners of the original with a bad taste in our mouth, to reinvest again in a new product similar to the first leaves me very nervous. Their new modbook makes me want a 12 to 13" Tablet/MacBook Pro hybrid, WITH an Active Stylus. Again another dirty word at Apple (Stylus). The Retouchers, artists, designers, VR dev, Photographers!!! We need a bigger screen! We need a full working version of PhotoShop, LR, Ai, etc. on a tablet Apple Mac Design System, From Apple. Not some kooky conversion that will set you back over 5K to do that swap to a Mac Tablet.

I invest in a ton of iPAD Stylus's, just a few days ago I got the Super Fine Tip Nota Stylus from KickStarter, and it's WONDERFUL!!! Now that I'm drawing again on the iPAD AiR with incredible accuracy I only now realized that WE truly need a bigger screen.

It really needs to be considered by Apple, if it isn't already in testing.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ScottGG View Post
Now we also have a company that offers a conversion of a MacBook Pro to a full Tablet System called a ModBook. Yes we all know the sorted history behind that dead end company when they first came out. Well the owner Andreas Hass has returned to do it again but this time with the MacBook pro. I saw a played with the Modbook Pro at PDN Photo Expo NYC October 2013. I have to say that after a few years of playing with the design they seem to have finally got it correct.
Whatever they may have done with the hardware (I've only played extensively with the original ModBook, for which the retailer I worked for at the time was the exclusive distribution partner), the solution may work only for a very, very tiny niche market.
A pointer-based interface does not and cannot work on a touch-based input device. Using the ModBook was clunky, and not having a stylus to operate it is unthinkable.

Don't get me wrong: It's a cool product, just like the Cintiqs are awesome — for a market of a couple thousand (maybe a couple ten thousand) people. There is absolutely no chance of ever turning something like that into a mass-compatible successful product. Microsoft tried for a decade, and the concept failed utterly until Apple figured out how to build a tablet by throwing away the pointer.

Originally Posted by ScottGG View Post
I invest in a ton of iPAD Stylus's, just a few days ago I got the Super Fine Tip Nota Stylus from KickStarter, and it's WONDERFUL!!! Now that I'm drawing again on the iPAD AiR with incredible accuracy I only now realized that WE truly need a bigger screen.

It really needs to be considered by Apple, if it isn't already in testing.
I have very little doubt that it is going to happen eventually, but a product like the ModBook, running a variant of the mouse-pointer-based OS X, is definitely not the way it will happen.

It seems obvious to me that iPad will be getting more and more capable over time, making a larger-screen version inevitable.

HamSandwich
Feb 22, 2014, 12:53 PM

Hmm, it is sort of a strange adventure, though. I think it feels as if iPad would lose some of its wonder. It was so miraculous it was so small, yet powerful. Browsing was extraordinary even though the screen was comparatively tiny...

I think what I was trying to say on hardware, with thickness and thinness, and now on industrial design, is rather that there are now somehow two speeds at the same time, two ways to think, two worlds - that is entirely confusing. Tablets and smartphones somehow appear to have solved many problems notebooks and desktops are now facing. Web design is often being rethought to be more fullscreen, somehow emulating app's examples.
Somehow, thinking about an iPad with a bigger screen is a bit like thinking about a Samsumng Galaxy Note which is neither tablet nor smartphone, confusingly stating that it is both, however. A 13-inch iPad would be - what? Tablet, notebook, or, with a stand, desktop? I don't know.

I still remember the original iPad's introduction, they carefully introduced all the things it can really do. It was a bit dangerous, entering totally new territory without apps, or even without big industries behind the screen's production. It worked out over time, but they introduced carefully. Somehow, some of the original qualities would quickly be lost, but maybe, it would open a new world.

Hmm,
Pete

Forum Links
Forum Rules