Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Avenger for Windows - port to Mac ?

Avenger for Windows - port to Mac ?
aquaslave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 11:09 AM

Hi All

I have been using the Avenger skin (by Mike Bryant)for windows for the longest time and it is a terrific skin. Here is a link to a preview :

Avenger by Mike Bryant

I recently switched to a mac and I want to bring over this wonderful skin to the mac community. Would someone be interested in porting this ? Please do not be too turned off by the preview - may seem too dark and complex. In reality, the skin is a marvel of usability and is thorough in all respects. Each element is crisp and very well defined and quite frankly, this skin belongs to the mac gui

Looking forward to responses.
Thanks

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 11:27 AM

looks nice

i just got themepark yesterday to see if i can take a swing at theming. I'd like to port this, but i'm sure i dont have the skills just yet, maybe wibs or mac15 can check it out, there always busy around here
i'm too lazy to come up with a sig

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 11:43 AM

Aquaslave, Dragon Tounge has a theme sort of like this, See this thread http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=216706

You might want to contact him and see if he would be interested in helping you are porting the theme over. You will need to have the original authors permission though.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 11:58 AM

I have something similar in the works too.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by cube3:
I have something similar in the works too.
Care to share cube3?

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 02:37 PM

f.y.i.

i sent out an email to Mike asking for permission to port this, should anyone be interested.

seriously, if you have a windows box lying around, apply this skin and you will notice how great it really is. or talk to your friends with a windows box and have them experience this skin. the level of detail in the skin is amazing and i have never been distracted in my daily work ... ever. i have been using this skin almost two years now!!

thanks

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
Care to share cube3?
I will release it with latest changeling update mate, I am busy finishing new icons and more desktops, so about 2 weeks time(massive icon set, a bit more polished then the last one). It's a new variant called "Hades", and it's looking quite nice atm.

mac15
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 07:47 PM

I can't seem to see the image from the link, its down for me? Could somebody post a preview?

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 07:50 PM

So, is someone proting this avenger theme or not? If not I caould do it. It looks awsome and Id love to help out. (and since I'm not creative enough to make up my own theme I figured I could find a theme that was needing a port)

mac15
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 09:24 PM

I don't like the look of it that much so I'm gonna say nope

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 10:58 PM

Mike has been kind enough to reply with his approval for a port of his Avenger theme. Here is the relevant text :

"That would be cool with me. If anyone wants to port it, I�ll gladly give permission. Thanks for your interest. =)
Mike"

macman4000 - u wanna take a shot at this ?

thanks all.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 11:46 PM

Im on it. Im running windowblinds on virtual PC to get screenshots of the theme. Any ideas where I can get a progress bar in Windows? Or mabey a place to download a "theme preview" kind of app for windows? that would be much easier.

I'll post back with updates as often as possible.

mac15
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 11:54 PM

Do a search in windows and you should see the progress bar

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2004, 04:20 AM

Care to share cube3?
http://homepage.mac.com/cube33/.Pictures/hades.png

this is the very beginning, it's also got the new drive icon and folder icon, plus the start of the new desktops. Ignore the lcd bits, there will be none in this version.

There will also probably be some lightsource changes, this is alphaalphaalpha .00001Zero
( Last edited by cube3; Jun 24, 2004 at 04:25 AM. )

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jun 24, 2004, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by cube3:
http://homepage.mac.com/cube33/.Pictures/hades.png

this is the very beginning, it's also got the new drive icon and folder icon, plus the start of the new desktops. Ignore the lcd bits, there will be none in this version.

There will also probably be some lightsource changes, this is alphaalphaalpha .00001Zero
cube3 that is looking really good! Has a completely different feel than your LCD themes. Good job so far, i can't wait to use it

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2004, 10:20 AM

thank you, but still quite a lot to do before that is released finishing up the current flavours, desktops and icons

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2004, 11:04 AM

@MacMan4000: i have asked Mike Bryant if it would be okay for you to contact him for help with the port. He *might* be able to help out by providing the resources/images/pngs etc ... I will let you know as soon as I hear from him.

Thanks for taking up the port. I am sure this will turn out to be a great piece of work!!

<<edit>>
Mike just got back to me with a YES!! So you can get in touch with him at mike-at-skinplant-dot-com (damn you spammers)

here is mike's reply to my query :
"No problem. Feel free to send him my way. I can provide him with my photoshop files if needed"

what a great guy!
( Last edited by aquaslave; Jun 24, 2004 at 11:35 AM. )

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jun 24, 2004, 11:39 AM

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!! Get along little doggies!!

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 12:12 PM

I'll e-mail him right away. The only progress bar I can find in an "intermediate" progress bar. I hope Windows has a normal one too... I only use windows when forced to so I don't know.

Here is a quick preview of what I have so far. All I have finished right now is the menus and menubar. And that apple logo is going to have to change, it clashes too much. I am also going to need to tweak a few things so this prewiew is not etched in stone.. it might change.
<SNIP>
I'll try to keep everyone updated. Im going to start the window titlebars and traffic light widgets. (dont worry they wont be red yellow and green, I just couldn't think of the right word for them)
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 01:34 PM. )

Tarambana
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 12:34 PM

Looking great!

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 01:04 PM

I forgot to mention: That font is not part of the theme. Thats from silk. So just imagine that image with Lucudia Grande font.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2004, 01:08 PM

lookin' good. keep it up!

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 01:38 PM

looks great were you going to do the apple logo with the metal plate like the start menu in windows?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 01:40 PM

wow that is a nice menu bar and menu.
click one

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 02:32 PM

I tried to make the apple like the metal plate in windows but it didn't work with the end caps. It showed the metal plate with the endcaps from the other menus when you clicked on it. It was ugly. I'll let you know what it looks like when I finish it... Im not working on that right now.

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2004, 02:39 PM

wow! you are fast !!! and that looks great.

a suggestion for the apple logo : how about using the user icon that Mike has in the preview (to the left of his name in the Start menu) but instead of a capital A, we use a lower-case 'a' ? just a thought.

@MacMan4000: do u have the theme installed on your windows machine ? just wondering ... 'cos then you would be able to see the cool mouseovers on the buttons etc ...

again, i think this theme is going to rock!!

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 02:40 PM

hmm... i'm sure it can be done though, check out Swiz's ChosenOS theme:

heck, i'm prolly not even sure what i'm talking about yet, i still havent even cracked open themepark yet

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 03:16 PM

In Swiz's ChosenOS theme he is not useing the "enable more menu customization (MenuEnhancer)" checkbox in the themepark prefs. If I did that all of the menus would not have end caps.

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 03:26 PM

yep, i'll STFU now and learn themepark

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 03:49 PM

yep, i'll STFU now and learn themepark
LOL.. sorry if I came of kinda harsh, didn't mean to.

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 03:54 PM

np dude, its all good .... unless you dont complete the theme, then i'll have to hunt you down

Mighty_Mike_T
Jun 24, 2004, 03:58 PM

Both themes look really sweet. Can't wait for them to be finished.

By the way, MacMan4000, what font is that in your menubar screenshot? Is that HandelGotDLig, or something else?

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jun 24, 2004, 04:10 PM

You guessed correctly Mighty Mike T.... *hands you an iPod*

gautch
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 05:18 PM

sweet! You guys are doing great!

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 05:19 PM

By the way, MacMan4000, what font is that in your menubar screenshot? Is that HandelGotDLig, or something
yes it is. I love this font!

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 11:43 PM

Well I have had a few interuptions since my last preview, but I did manage to get the menubar and menubar widgets done... Mostly. I had the toolbar button done too but adobe pulled an "unexpected quit" error on me (that reminds me, I need more RAM). I am alomst done with the horizontal scroll bar and horizontal scroll arrows.

Heres the latest preview:
<SNIP>
I would have more done but the "unexpected quit" slowed me down and right after I got back into the groove my dad wanted me to go to his office to fix his printer that was messed up. That took 2 hours just to find out it was a bad wall outlet.

I will not be doing much with this for the next few days because I have to work Friday and Saturday (not all day so I might get some time in the afternoon to work on this). All of Sunday I am free to work on this. Monday I work again.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 01:36 PM. )

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2004, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Well I have had a few interuptions since my last preview, but I did manage to get the menubar and menubar widgets done... Mostly. I had the toolbar button done too but adobe pulled an "unexpected quit" error on me (that reminds me, I need more RAM). I am alomst done with the horizontal scroll bar and horizontal scroll arrows.

I would have more done but the "unexpected quit" slowed me down and right after I got back into the groove my dad wanted me to go to his office to fix his printer that was messed up. That took 2 hours just to find out it was a bad wall outlet.

I will not be doing much with this for the next few days because I have to work Friday and Saturday (not all day so I might get some time in the afternoon to work on this). All of Sunday I am free to work on this. Monday I work again.

*thought to self* If I wasn't broke I'd be home enough to finish this withen a week.
GIMME!!!!

awesome work dude

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 11:54 PM

MacMan4000: Just wanted to say... I saw your scan of the eMac flower over in the Lounge, thought, "Boy, he should kinda join the themeing scene", and, well, here you are, and already using ThemePark like a pro. Good to see another talented theme author added to the list.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2004, 11:57 PM

This is awesome!

If you feel the need to add some beta testers at any time, PM me.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 04:02 AM

This looks frickin' excellent! Smooth like a mofo!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

mac15
Senior User
Jun 25, 2004, 05:32 AM

very nice indeed!

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jun 25, 2004, 09:51 AM

2 things to consider: One is the fact that black text is hard to read against the menu bar, which i know you will change. or isn't that possible yet?

two is the spacing around the title bar text.. it looks like you're really hanging low. Could it be the baseline of Handel? I know Eurostile likes to do that, unless you use the free version.

All in all this is my favorite sudo dark theme!

aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2004, 10:02 AM

amazing work !! please let me know if you need beta testers (shameless plug: i did get the ball rolling on this one !!)

*but*

ALL CREDIT goes to macman4000 and of course Mike Bryant (the person who gave us this beautiful theme).

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2004, 10:04 AM

not a big fan of avenger .. but hey to each their own .. =P ... it's a bit complicated for my like .. still i hope someone ports it

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2004, 10:05 AM

cube3 that is looking really good! Has a completely different feel than your LCD themes. Good job so far, i can't wait to use it
yeah .. smooooth .. any chance for an icon set with that (yeah i'm getting greedy =P)

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2004, 11:34 AM

Looking VERY good, so far. Please finish this theme. I'd definitely use it.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 07:53 PM

2 things to consider: One is the fact that black text is hard to read against the menu bar, which i know you will change. or isn't that possible yet?

two is the spacing around the title bar text.. it looks like you're really hanging low. Could it be the baseline of Handel? I know Eurostile likes to do that, unless you use the free version.
I can change the font in Carbon apps, but all Cocoa apps use hard coded font colors. This new screenshot shows the normal, Lucidia Grande, font so you can see how low it normally sits. It also shows the finished toolbar button.
<SNIP>
I had the large push buttons finished but I noticed the buttons were too dark to read. Luckly the PSDs I got from Mike Include a lighter version that works fine.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 01:39 PM. )

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2004, 08:28 PM

awesome work dude got an eta on it?

i actually kind of like it how you got with the black text on the title bar, i can read it fine, but i guess thats just me

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 09:15 PM

I can change the font in Carbon apps, but all Cocoa apps use hard coded font colors.
If you're exporting a guiKit for ShapeShifter and using the guiKit template in ThemePark, ThemePark's previews won't show correct text colors, but the applied theme using ShapeShifter will use unified text colors everywhere, Carbon or Cocoa.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 09:17 PM

I like the black text on dark background too, but some people don't like hard to read stuff like that. Mabey it just looks better on my CRT ... it might look terrible at the wrong angle on a flat screen like an iMac or laptop.

How do you guys like these buttons? Too dark? Too light? Perfect?
<snip>
<snip>

(I know it's a choppy animation and the timings wrong, but you get the idea)
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 10, 2004 at 09:42 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules