Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Avenger for Windows - port to Mac ?

Avenger for Windows - port to Mac ? (Page 3)
Thread Tools
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2004, 10:40 PM
 
Originally posted by digitaljames:
Then tuck it under if you are goning to use the inset bevel.........

That's what I was about to suggest.
click one
     
fireside
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Floreeda
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2004, 12:00 AM
 
Originally posted by digitaljames:
Then tuck it under if you are goning to use the inset bevel.........

i kinda liked the idea where he got pissed off and called everyone incompetent a little better
     
quandarry
Registered User
Join Date: May 2003
Location: between a rock and a hard place.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2004, 03:20 AM
 
nice job MacMan4000!



progress bar could be 3d and still chopped into blocks like it is tho.



<edit> looks like i credited the wrong person...fixed now tho.
( Last edited by quandarry; Jul 5, 2004 at 05:49 PM. )
     
Lancer409
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Semi Posting Retirement *ReJoice!*
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2004, 03:26 AM
 
lol .. heated =)
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 4, 2004, 02:16 PM
 
I wish it were that easy.

If you guys want to make ALL the bevel things that grey background color then it could work like James's picture. Really thats not a bad idea... I like the grey background. But I can't change just the bevel for the apple and not the others.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Jul 4, 2004 at 02:23 PM. )
     
Dave-o
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2004, 04:45 PM
 
MacMan.. What's the scoop on the theme? Any updates for us?

Though i do agree with you about the grey bevels, it's the only place in the whole theme that it's used. Might be something to think about, dunno, maybe?
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2004, 05:20 PM
 
Unfoutunatly my power was off for about 18 hours last night and this morning (thats what I get for living in a place called "TORNADO ALLY") so I havn't got much done, Im almost done with the sliders. I reworked the tabs so they will play nice with aqua. Screenshot soon.

I you guys like the grey bevels (I do) then I will use them insted of the darker black ones. I might keep the dark bevels as a varient, not sure yet.


<edit> screenshot on my site is updated.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Jul 7, 2004 at 06:28 PM. )
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2004, 06:41 PM
 
Looking nice. I look forward to the first release. Keep up the good work.
click one
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2004, 08:48 PM
 
for those of you too lazy to go to my site:
<SNIP>

notice the slightly different tabs, the sliders, and the buttons are not so wide that they touch
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 11:49 AM. )
     
cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2004, 09:20 PM
 
you changed the titlebar widgets, I kinda liked the other ones.
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2004, 10:07 PM
 
I had to change the titlebar widgets to make them look ok on a dark background. I have been experimenting with the metal windows and the bevels. This is what I have right now:

Im not sure I like it Its kinda windozey. Im thinking about making it the plain grey background that I am useing everywhere else and mabey keeping the dark out-line. If that still looks too much like windoze then I'll use the aqua bevels with the flat grey color. If I do go back to grey background then I will go back to the old titlebar widgets. Comments and suggestions welcome
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2004, 10:20 PM
 
It is a Windows theme port, so if it's "windozey" that's why, and means you've done a good job. I really don't like the plane old metal bevels, I think the "windozey" alternative matches the theme quite well.
click one
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2004, 11:04 PM
 
Any Idea what could cause this? Its the lower right corner of Safari. I just noticed this as I was testing a few of the metal window features in safari. The arrows look fine in the finder.
last time I checked there was only supposed to be 2 arrows for virtical scrolling. The bottom one is not functional.
<SNIP>



it should look like this:
<SNIP>
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 11:50 AM. )
     
fireside
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Floreeda
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 9, 2004, 12:47 AM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
I had to change the titlebar widgets to make them look ok on a dark background. I have been experimenting with the metal windows and the bevels. This is what I have right now:

Im not sure I like it Its kinda windozey. Im thinking about making it the plain grey background that I am useing everywhere else and mabey keeping the dark out-line. If that still looks too much like windoze then I'll use the aqua bevels with the flat grey color. If I do go back to grey background then I will go back to the old titlebar widgets. Comments and suggestions welcome
you should just make it look the same as the aqua windows.
     
fireside
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Floreeda
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 9, 2004, 12:50 AM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Any Idea what could cause this? Its the lower right corner of Safari. I just noticed this as I was testing a few of the metal window features in safari. The arrows look fine in the finder.
last time I checked there was only supposed to be 2 arrows for virtical scrolling. The bottom one is not functional.





it should look like this:
IIRC its a safari problem. or is it a shapeshifter bug? once of those.
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 9, 2004, 01:20 AM
 
Safari I think, I had seen that before the days of SS.
click one
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 9, 2004, 09:13 PM
 
Status report:
Safari seems to have fixed itself. The arrows look fine now. I have got all weekend to work on this theme so I hope to get a lot done. I have been using a Pre-Alpha version () of Avenger to check for problems and conflicts and most things are working fine, other than a few things beeing to big. The push buttons look like they are too tall also (I already had to make them skinnier, is that a word? skinnier? more skinny? less wide?) Other than that everything is going smoothly.

Full Screen Screenshot!

<SNIP>
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 11:50 AM. )
     
codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2004, 12:49 AM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Status report:
Safari seems to have fixed itself. The arrows look fine now. I have got all weekend to work on this theme so I hope to get a lot done. I have been using a Pre-Alpha version () of Avenger to check for problems and conflicts and most things are working fine, other than a few things beeing to big. The push buttons look like they are too tall also (I already had to make them skinnier, is that a word? skinnier? more skinny? less wide?) Other than that everything is going smoothly.

Full Screen Screenshot!

A few comments.
  • I don't like the bevel on the metal windows. I think it would look HOT just as the same grey with a slight rounded highlight that the black part of the aqua titlebars has.
  • I think the progress bar should have some shading. maybe not a lot, just something subtle, but the flat black squares seem to clash with the rest of the theme.

That's it. Otherwise I think it's looking very secksay. keep it up. I'm very much looking forward to this theme.

     
aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 10, 2004, 10:31 PM
 
macman4000 : is it just the screenshot or do the tabs look too square with gaps at the edges ? i think that does not go well with the other faintly rounded elements in the theme.

otherwise this is looking to be great!
thanks
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 12, 2004, 09:51 PM
 
I do tthink the tabs could be re-done with rounded end tabs. I should have done that the first time. I will be out of town for a few days coming up (leave wednesday 14, come home sunday 18) so don't be expecting updates durring those days. I'll be in Palm Springs !!
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2004, 09:44 PM
 
<angry yelling> IM REALLY PISSED OFF! </angry yelling>

I just got home from a great vacation to this:


all the images in the .tpark file are screwed up.

Anyone know how to fix/repair this?!?


note: edited for language after i found a fix.
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Jul 18, 2004 at 10:21 PM. )
     
Dave-o
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2004, 10:11 PM
 
Slow down... i know this feeling all to well... i would first check your monitor res and color settings... if you were working in millions of colors make sure that's the setting.. i would also run the maintenance scripts and zap the PRAM... Good luck.. and i hope it's this simple...
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 18, 2004, 10:20 PM
 
<--- feels like a complete assclown

that fixed it. somehow i ended up in thousands insted of millions.

<--- just kicked himsef


befor and after:


Sorry for yelling.
     
Dave-o
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2004, 09:50 AM
 
MacMan, You don't know how happy that makes me... I know on one of my systems, games are the cause of this glitch... So glad everything is A-O-K...
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2004, 05:12 PM
 
this is probably a dumb question, but what is "window placecard" in themepark? where is it used? what color should it be?!
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2004, 06:19 PM
 
I still need feedback on what apple menu to use. Here are the options I have so far:


(this one could be tweaked so that the apple stem/leaf would fit inside the bevel, not overlapping it.)


(If you guys want this one I would have to re-do the bevels so they are all silvery. I can't change just one. I also think the non-clicked one would need to be the same size as the clicked one)


(This is the one I have been using and I like it, but its not perfect, it's kinda boring really )

I think if the second one could be worked on so it matched the clicked version it would be awsome. As long as you guys like the silvery bevels. (I do.)
     
Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2004, 06:29 PM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
this is probably a dumb question, but what is "window placecard" in themepark? where is it used? what color should it be?!
Window Placards are used in PhotoShop for the Pressed/Active states of the toolbar palette buttons.

This is, of course, just one example.
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2004, 07:01 PM
 
Window Placards are used in PhotoShop for the Pressed/Active states of the toolbar palette buttons.
Thanks, Im guessing you mean like this:



if i'm wrong please correct me.
     
Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2004, 07:27 PM
 
The actual buttons, themselves.

On the Placards you have these elements, Edge Line Vertical/Horizontal which in your snap would be a grayish color, Placard which would be whiteish and Pressed which would be grayish in your snap above.
( Last edited by Lord Sith; Jul 19, 2004 at 07:34 PM. )
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2004, 07:41 PM
 
Themepark says the buttons are "butted bevel button"

Click the image for better view:


so the buttons can't be the placecard too, can they?!
     
Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2004, 08:32 PM
 
     
Dave-o
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2004, 08:33 PM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:

(If you guys want this one I would have to re-do the bevels so they are all silvery. I can't change just one. I also think the non-clicked one would need to be the same size as the clicked one) I think if the second one could be worked on so it matched the clicked version it would be awsome. As long as you guys like the silvery bevels. (I do.)
I would have agree.. though it might mean more work i feel that it's the best solution to the problem at hand.. It looks like it belongs to the theme.
     
demograph68
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 20, 2004, 01:34 PM
 
This looks so cool! Dude, take your time on this sexy thing!
     
aquaslave  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 26, 2004, 04:23 PM
 
i'd hate to see this go to the second page :-)
how is the port coming along macman4000?
     
eFX
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2004, 12:36 AM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
I still need feedback on what apple menu to use. Here are the options I have so far:


(this one could be tweaked so that the apple stem/leaf would fit inside the bevel, not overlapping it.)


(If you guys want this one I would have to re-do the bevels so they are all silvery. I can't change just one. I also think the non-clicked one would need to be the same size as the clicked one)


(This is the one I have been using and I like it, but its not perfect, it's kinda boring really )

I think if the second one could be worked on so it matched the clicked version it would be awsome. As long as you guys like the silvery bevels. (I do.)
Thats a tough decision, personally I like the apple but the apple pressed should be a solid grey and no gradient.
The boring one you say should be like the apple gradient bevel or smuffin the pressed A turns solid well just like what you have really why not just include all? since you already shown people now everybody will say such and such is nice but dont like the other and vice versa.

Stupid question you have seen actual theme right? just this port still seems rough not quite soft enough for when looking at the Windows shot http://skins2.wincustomize.com/MikeB...nger-wb-ss.jpg
his has all the detailed nigly bits as yours seems a bit to plain am I right?

Also you seen the wall logo? just to get some ideas thrown about here to maybe help http://skins2.wincustomize.com/Hippy...enger-dark.jpg
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2004, 06:42 PM
 
sorry its been a while since i last posted. I've been out of town for a while. a 4 day convention (mostly for my dad, not me) and a 4 day family reunion 2 days after the convention.

So not much has happened since the last update; I did get the bevel buttons done before I left.

I hope to get this finished before school starts (the 17th). If for some reason It doesn't Then I wont have much free time to work on it. But don't worry, I really doubt it will take that long.

I will probably have the screenshot updated on my website later today or sometime tomorrow. I will put a date on all screenshots from now on so you can tell if it has been updated or not.

...all the detailed nigly bits...
What are "nigly bits" ?!
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2004, 08:50 PM
 
There has been lots of requests for a different rounded or 3d-ish indeterminate progress bar so Iv been working on one based on the dashed line across the window title-bar.

check it out! and let me know what you think.

I have no idea what to do for a normal progress bar (non-indeterminate). Suggestions?
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Jul 27, 2004 at 11:27 PM. )
     
afphreak01
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: <? echo $location; ?>
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2004, 08:52 PM
 
love the new progress bar
i'm too lazy to come up with a sig
     
codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2004, 09:59 PM
 
Originally posted by afphreak01:
love the new progress bar
ditto
     
Dave-o
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2004, 08:31 AM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
There has been lots of requests for a different rounded or 3d-ish indeterminate progress bar so Iv been working on one based on the dashed line across the window title-bar.

check it out! and let me know what you think.

I have no idea what to do for a normal progress bar (non-indeterminate). Suggestions?
I like how the progress bar fit the theme.. good match! Why not make a version of the same style for the normal progress bar?

On a side note, are the metal windows going to stay that way or do you plan to make them look like the PC version of the theme?
     
servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Madison, WI USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2004, 09:11 AM
 
Wow, looks very nice. Definately a nice change from the usual themes.
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2004, 10:32 AM
 
Originally posted by Dave-o:
I like how the progress bar fit the theme.. good match! Why not make a version of the same style for the normal progress bar?

On a side note, are the metal windows going to stay that way or do you plan to make them look like the PC version of the theme?
I have been thinking about how I could use the same design for a normal progress-bar, maybe without the candy-cane stripes? or would that be too boring?

As for the metal windows, I thought they DID look like windoze. What did you want them to look like dave? looking back at the windoze screenshot I am thinking maybe grey background with the same border? It that what you ment?
     
Dave-o
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2004, 10:40 AM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
I have been thinking about how I could use the same design for a normal progress-bar, maybe without the candy-cane stripes? or would that be too boring?

As for the metal windows, I thought they DID look like windoze. What did you want them to look like dave? looking back at the windoze screenshot I am thinking maybe grey background with the same border? It that what you ment?
I think plain would be fine, but it should have a consistent look and feel to the overall theme, which might mean stripes.

I'm looking at the sceenshot from the first post in the thread (so we can be on the same page), the Control Panel window is the one i'm referring too... The Internet Options screen has the same look to it as well.. I think to match this you will need the title bar and a grey background. Just my 2 cents on this...

Great progress and i'm really looking forward to using this...
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 28, 2004, 07:31 PM
 
Originally posted by Dave-o:
I think plain would be fine, but it should have a consistent look and feel to the overall theme, which might mean stripes.

I'm looking at the sceenshot from the first post in the thread (so we can be on the same page), the Control Panel window is the one i'm referring too... The Internet Options screen has the same look to it as well.. I think to match this you will need the title bar and a grey background. Just my 2 cents on this...

Great progress and i'm really looking forward to using this...
The grey background is easy, but metal windows just were not meant to have title-bars. I tried to force it to use title-bars one time and it failed miserably.

I was planing on making a screenshot of a metal window with a grey background and posting it here, but I can't find the metal window background color anywhere in ThemePark. Its probably right in front of me and I just missed it, but any help finding it would be appreciated
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 31, 2004, 04:34 PM
 
I found the window background color. Its actually called window gradient. Here's a screenshot of a grey window with the black border, but I probably won't be useing that border anymore. Thanks to Dave-O I now Know how to make a title-bar on a metal window (I hope). I haven't tried it yet, but when I do you all will be the first to see the finished product.

<SNIP>



<edit> That was easier than I thought. Here's the finished one.

<SNIP>

For some reason when I did this the window title ("Brushed Metal Window") Disappeared. Does anyone know why? Or how to fix it?
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 02:28 PM. )
     
Dave-o
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere in your mind.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 31, 2004, 06:10 PM
 
looking good bro.. As for your 'Problem' you might want to contact one of the themers that haunt the threads and ask them...
     
fireside
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Floreeda
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 31, 2004, 07:44 PM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
I have no idea what to do for a normal progress bar (non-indeterminate). Suggestions?
why don't you just make the background grey (or black) and make the fill black (or grey).
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 31, 2004, 08:27 PM
 
Originally posted by fireside:
why don't you just make the background grey (or black) and make the fill black (or grey).
Because Im already done with the progress bars.
Check them out!
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Jul 31, 2004 at 11:53 PM. )
     
digitaljames
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cupertino
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 31, 2004, 08:33 PM
 
Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Because Im already done with the progress bars.
Check them out!
and they look Magnificent!
     
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 1, 2004, 03:44 PM
 
It looks like the problem I had earlier about the brushed metal window title not showing up is just a glitch in ThemePark. I was about to post a new thread asking how to fix this problem, but decided I better test it outside of theme-preview first. I'm using the theme right now and it works fine for finder and safari (both of which are brushed metal) so I guess I don't need to worry about it.

The more I use this theme the more I want a more readable window title. I was planing on changing the window title text color. I was thinking maybe a light grey or white. I let you see a screenshot when i get around to it.

<edit> Here's the screenshot. Feedback welcome.
<SNIP>
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Aug 29, 2004 at 02:29 PM. )
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,