Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Make your iBook G4 keyboard better!

Make your iBook G4 keyboard better!
Zoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2004, 11:38 AM

I discovered a neat little thing about the g4's keyboard just now. Look closely at the light for "num lock," and you'll see it has a little slot. Get something like a jeweller's screwdriver and give the slot a half turn, and a little plastic tab will pop out and, if you push the keyboard down, into a slot on the inside of the case.

Hey presto, the keyboard is no longer squishy, and now resembles the keyboard on a Powerbook! It wasn't terrible before, but now it is firmer and much more pleasant to use. According to an Apple pdf, this keyboard "lock" is open by default. I can't imagine why. Try it!

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 11:58 AM

This little screw has been there since the first DUAL USB iBook (almost three years ago already). Not sure if it's the same on the clamshell. I guess the keyboard is not locked by default to let people add extra memory/airport card.

Zoc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2004, 12:53 PM

Damn, so it's old news. I was pretty excited about it for a second there. Still, perhaps this thread will remind someone who'd forgotten of it.

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2004, 12:59 PM

I've never heard of it before. I'm currently saving for an iBook so I'll keep it in mind...thanks for the tip.

233mhz iMac 1.2ghz iBook G4 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
This little screw has been there since the first DUAL USB iBook (almost three years ago already). Not sure if it's the same on the clamshell. I guess the keyboard is not locked by default to let people add extra memory/airport card.
The clamshell had it too. I owned an iBook for a few months before I noticed it.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Mar 26, 2004, 04:14 PM

Yeah it's very useful. Just make sure that service people know about it if you're ever getting more RAM or something - so that they don't just try to rip the keyboard out .

Also, I just saw someone with a Japanese iBook 800MHz G4 yesterday, and the keyboard on that is a bit different. I haven't seen any other iBook G4 so I'm not sure, but it seemed a lot more like the new Powerbook keyboards in terms of firmness and feeling.

More interesting, however, was that it didn't have this little screw tab that we're talking about.

Anyway, I hadn't really seen an opaque white iBook before, and I far prefer the old style... my one's style .

Zoc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2004, 10:06 PM

Actually, I have a Japanese iBook too, and mine does have the little tab. Maybe there was a different production run or something?

I think you're right, the older translucent keyboards are nicer looking than the new ones, but the new ones feel better.

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2004, 05:15 PM

i don't know what you guys are talking about, the keyboard feels plenty solid to me without giving it the half turn

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2004, 06:45 PM

good to know, planning to get one for uni

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

nikon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2004, 01:19 AM

I don't really notice any difference between before or after turning the screw. But it is good to know about.
"Laugha while you can monkeyboy." Dr.
Lizardo

700MHz iBook G3
640MB Ram
OS 10.3.9

Forum Links
Forum Rules