Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > questions for a newbie to MACs

questions for a newbie to MACs
drx604
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2004, 07:31 AM

I'm new to the mac world... just got a 12" ibook G4...

3 questions:

1) is a .mac acct worth paying for? ...
2) if i don't go with .mac.... whats a good antivirus software to go with?
3) how long to charge the ibook.... i just drained it... and doing its first charge as I speak....

thats it for now...

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by drx604:
I'm new to the mac world... just got a 12" ibook G4...

3 questions:

3) how long to charge the ibook.... i just drained it... and doing its first charge as I speak....

thats it for now...
I've never had a .mac account so I can't say much about them.

As far as an antivirus program goes you really don't need one. There are no known viruses for OSX as of right now. The only reason I have one is so I don't pass a virus on to my friends with a PC.

The charge will take a few hours. When the light turns from orange to green you are charged.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2004, 11:31 AM

.Mac is worth the cost if you see yourself using most of its services. I use most of them quite a bit and find it a good value, but some of the components can be found freely on the web (or you may already have access to something similar).

I use my iDisk quite a bit--particularly my Public folder for sharing large files among friends and relatives. Those who own a Mac in Panther can access directly from the Go menu. Those on previous versions of X and Windows XP users can access if from Apple's iDisk Utility (or through a file sharing page created from HomePage).

As well, I use my iDisk for off-site backup of important personal files (drag and dropping and using Apple's back-up), images serving for eBay and forum posts, and the occasional web page created through HomePage.

My other major use is keeping my @mac.com email which is my main address. Over the past couple years, my ISP and job email addresses have changed through mergers and I've changed jobs twice. Rather than going through the hassle of notifying/updating everyone of a new address, my @mac.com has remained constant (and always will as long as I keep paying the $99/year). I like that bit of control. Plus it's a short, neat address that's easy for people to remember and type (friends of mine are @twmi.rr.com or other somesuch).

I don't use HomePage as much as I should, but of the few pages I've generated, it's been quite easy and my far-away relatives enjoy them.

Other features I use occasionally, but find them valuable when I do use them. iSync via .Mac is cool because I have multiple Macs and a user ID on my father's G4, so my bookmarks and address book are always accessible. Occasionally, .Mac members get free or discounted games/programs or discounts on AppleStore items.

I find .Mac worth it, but if you already have some of these features through an ISP it may not. .Mac is nothing if not elegant, and as a new owner you do get 60-days free (but limited to 20MB of iDisk space).

More info:

http://www.mac.com/1/learningcenter/

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 27, 2004, 11:59 AM

I always wear a seatbelt, always look both ways before crossing the street, and ALWAYS use antivirus software. There ARE virii that can hurt your system, and others that can grab your Microsoft Office address book and mail it to someone using security holes Office's scripting. They aren't very widespread, but they are out there.

I have been a fan of Norton for a long time, but there are other antivirus packages available, some of them free. A quick Internet search for "Mac" and "antivirus" turns up a huge number of possibilities.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nikon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2004, 01:27 AM

Avoid Norton like the plague, it tends to cause more problems on the mac than it solves.
"Laugha while you can monkeyboy." Dr.
Lizardo

700MHz iBook G3
640MB Ram
OS 10.3.9

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2004, 12:24 PM

For me, the .mac account is worth it. I use the large email account. I love being able to publish from iPhoto to the site so I can share photos with family. I use the backup service for a few files. I use the virus software.

Forte
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2004, 02:17 PM

Intego makes a pretty nice anti-virus/firewall/anti-vandal/backup solution (Internet Security Barrier), the various programs of which are also available seperately. They have info on their products at http://www.intego.com .

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2004, 03:16 PM

Virex (the antivirus software that comes with .mac) is crap. I don't know about Norton. But you really don't need virus software on a Mac. That may change in the future, but for the time being, I really don't think it's necessary.

And it's "Mac," not "MAC."

jadekitty24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2004, 01:09 AM

I have .mac untill next month and I'll say it isn't worth what they charge. I'm definitely not going to renew it. I do believe there is a free trial you could try. I know my iBook came with one. Check that out and see if it's worth the money. You can pick up an antivirus program for much less, and that was the only real benefit of the .mac. For me, anyway.

jadekitty24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2004, 01:13 AM

I agree with the post "stay away from Norton". I've had bad experiences with this software and so have several people I know. Do some investigating on the web on antivirus programs if you decide to go that route. I did and was disgusted with what I read about Norton (after installing it on my boy friends computer...oops!!).

hart
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Virex (the antivirus software that comes with .mac) is crap.
oh? In what way? I've found it to be the perfect balance of "just in case" and conveniance. Once a month I fire it up, it donwloads the e-update from .mac, scans, finds nothing, process done. I'm on the cautious side though; I have multiple back-ups for my data and I've always used an anti-virus program just in case. For me Virex has been problem free.

Counting Virex and all the other software I've downloaded for free or at discount I feel I've gotten my money's worth. I like the clean, user-friendly interface of Home Page and probably wouldn't have family slide shows on-line if it wasn't for my .mac account.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by hart:
oh? In what way? I've found it to be the perfect balance of "just in case" and conveniance. Once a month I fire it up, it donwloads the e-update from .mac, scans, finds nothing, process done. I'm on the cautious side though; I have multiple back-ups for my data and I've always used an anti-virus program just in case. For me Virex has been problem free.

Counting Virex and all the other software I've downloaded for free or at discount I feel I've gotten my money's worth. I like the clean, user-friendly interface of Home Page and probably wouldn't have family slide shows on-line if it wasn't for my .mac account.
Virex frags some unix stuff, iirc. Not a big deal for most, but it's still sloppy (as well as useless on Macs).

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by jadekitty24:
I agree with the post "stay away from Norton". I've had bad experiences with this software and so have several people I know. Do some investigating on the web on antivirus programs if you decide to go that route. I did and was disgusted with what I read about Norton (after installing it on my boy friends computer...oops!!).
What kind of problems has Norton caused? I've never seen any Symantec antivirus product cause problems, but they do seem to be targeted by the nasty folks that write viruses, particularly Windows virus writers. That sounds like a real endorsement to me!

Anyway, I'm curious what sorts of issues Norton causes. I've used various Symantec products on all sorts of Windows platforms, but when we got our iBook in January, considering that it is going places where "one is never too sure how wholesome" things are, we installed Norton. Never a hint of problem, except that the Live Update icon acts like it is having a fit when it's running.

jadekitty24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2004, 11:50 PM

I personally used Norton 2004 System Works on my boyfriends pc. Instantly the computer started crashing and was extremely sluggish. I asked some of my friends and my parents about it and they all had a story to tell. Some used only the antivirus, and some used the whole System Works package. They all had the same results. Upon installing they had crashing problems. Once I learned this I decided to investigate. One website stated that Norton misses 1 out of every 4 viruses!! (If I come across that website and any others that may be of interest I'll be sure to post them.) I immediatlely uninstalled Norton...viola! The computer ran fine. I'm currently using McAfee. And, did I mention, some of my buddies who had problems with Norton had pc's and macs, and the same trouble on both. I'm not specifically saying Norton is bad. After all, maybe we all just got bad copies of the software. It happens. But after this I wouldn't advise anyone to buy it. By the way, after removing Norton and installing McAfee virus were found on my boyfriends pc. And it's been running smooth ever since the transition.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by drx604:
As is obvious from the above replies, "it depends." You can sign up for a trial account. See if what you get is worth $99/year. The few features I find really of great value in .mac are:
- email address (short, conscise)
- photo publishing with iPhoto
- iDisk

These are what I consider really, really neat, but $99/year for me is a tad steep. And being in a country that doesn't accept .mac payments locally, I have to go through the trouble of paying it internationally (which costs more).

Never needed one myself, and to think I'm dealing with security stuff a lot in networks. Nothing we can do to prevent the latest outbreak of worms in email and the like, but as far as I checked, Mac OS X has 0 known viruses/worms. You don't need one in the meantime, so you needn't worry about it for now.

Charging usually takes 2 hours tops, and that's on a full drain for me.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2004, 02:37 AM

do your homework with norton. they have a whole suite of products. i dont know about the antivirus, but i do know taht disk doctor is trouble. the unerase has saved my ass a few times now, and there is no point for speed disk anymore (os x defrags automatically)

moral- read up before you believe any of the sweeping "no way no how" comments about anything. and take the mac owners perspective with a grain or salt, i find that mac users, for some reason or another, tend to maintain this air of supremacy over all other computer users...

just a heads up.

oh, i dont have .mac. i am in college, and i use the unis ftp for the kinda stuff that idisk is good for. same with the email account. notn to mention that im broke.

if you want .mac for image hosting i suggest you use something like www.photobucket.com or macsnaps or spymac. there are a lot of free hosting sites out there.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 7, 2004, 07:58 PM

I see! I was just talking about using Norton Antivirus, not any of the other Norton/Symantec products. I have serious reservations about many Symantec products, but NOT their antivirus!

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2004, 09:11 PM

I find norton to be ok, just DO NOT let it activate on boot, just have it activate when you tell it to!

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

fastback
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 06:31 PM

I'm not sure but I think AVG Anti-Virus, is a good free solution. I'll have to double check if it works on Mac's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules