Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 & DVD playback problems

G5 & DVD playback problems
Vamos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 07:25 AM

Hey!

I've been having some problems with my mac totally freezing during DVD palyback. As it does not happen with dvd files played from harddisk, I assume that the problem is in dvd-rom or some driver.

Does anyone have some bright ideas how to fix the problem?

rgds
mart

PS.
configuration:
Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5
1024 MB DDR SDRAM
OS X v. 10.3.5
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D
Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5, 1024 MB DDR SDRAM, GeForce FX 5200, PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D, 160GB HDD / iBook G3 700, 384MB SDRAM / OS X 10.3.5

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 10:39 AM

does it happen just with movies? if so does it happen with all movies? maybe run tech tool or some other hardware checker on the drive.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

larry k.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 11:58 AM

i have the same problem with mine. its annoying to say the least. random freezes while playing a dvd and the only thing you can do is hold in the power button to shut everything down. if you look at apples support forums we are in no way alone. this is hopefully something that will be addressed in 10.3.6. I remember a news post a while back saying 10.3.6 testers were asked to test dvd playback, heres to hoping.
power mac g5 - dual 1.8ghz, 1.5gb, 250gb & 160gb, x800 xt, pioneer dvr-108, 10.4

Forum Links
Forum Rules