Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > transferring applecare

transferring applecare
larry k.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2004, 10:36 AM

im selling my mac and i want to transfer its registered applecare to the new owner. in order to do so they need a copy of the sales receipt for applecare. i purchased the applecare on ebay. will a print out of the auction from ebay be good enough or am i out of luck since i bought it off ebay?

thanks
power mac g5 - dual 1.8ghz, 1.5gb, 250gb & 160gb, x800 xt, pioneer dvr-108, 10.4

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2004, 10:45 AM

For AppleCare, it's when it was registered. When you bought it off eBay, you should have gotten the box with the orange trim that you need to fill out and mail.
As long as you give that to the new person, along with the A/C registration number, you should be good to go.
If you didn't get a box, or confirmation that it was registered, you may have been scammed.

Edit: The above is for the extended Applecare. If you're talking about the standard 1-year warranty, you'd need the original sales receipt when the Mac was purchased (either by you or another party).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

larry k.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2004, 10:49 AM

i wasnt scammed. as i said in my post its already registered. i mailed it in and got my certificate. i need to transfer it now to the new owner and in order to do so i need to show proof of purchase for the applecare, which i bought off ebay.
power mac g5 - dual 1.8ghz, 1.5gb, 250gb & 160gb, x800 xt, pioneer dvr-108, 10.4

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2004, 10:52 AM

No, you just have to give the new owner the A/C registration number. It doesn't matter when you buy the A/C, it's when you register it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

larry k.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2004, 10:54 AM

9. Transfer of Plan.
You may transfer this Plan to a new owner of the Covered Equipment. If you purchased the Plan in the U.S. or Canada, transfer by sending written notice to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714-9125, U.S. You must provide the Plan enrollment or agreement number, the serial numbers of the Covered Equipment being transferred, proof of purchase of the Plan, and the name and address of the new owner.

larry k.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2004, 11:45 AM

nevermind, i just called apple and asked. guess im pretty much out of luck unless the person i bought it from on ebay is an authorized apple dealer. guess thats what i get for trying to save some money.

Forum Links
Forum Rules