Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Before you get too excited, the Mac mini has some very large external parts...

Before you get too excited, the Mac mini has some very large external parts... (Page 2)
Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by saltines17:
I think the BEST thing about this machine versus the cube is that the wires are horizontal and not vertical. That was by far the most annoying thing about the Cube - it's a nuisance to plug things in.
I in the 3 years I had my cube the only time I had to plug something in was when I upgraded the machine. USB ports were on the monitor/keyboard and the firewire could be daisy chained.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 05:04 PM

I think the wires on the mini are sexy(as long as there all white[I like wires incase you haven't seen]).
Signature depreciated.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
The cube totally hid all the wires as the cables were vertical so you could push the cube 99% against the wall if you wanted to.
I have a hole in my tabletop for cables, on which the cube sits. Perfect!

The small, but cables-stickin-out gaming PC is confined to under-the-table depths, sorry. (Where a G5 tower won't fit, damn you Apple.)

Maybe I'll just stick the mini on top of the hole, cables down. Hmm....

J

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2005, 05:36 PM

I'm gona buy one of these for m'mom. And I'll probably go with an Apple Mouse and Keyboard (not like my mom right clicks anyway) and hook it up to her ugly Samsung monitor. I'll sit it right beside, and in the chaos that is her office, she won't even notice the extra cables. Actually this connected with all her stuff will be far more elegant than her PC ever was.

Keep in mind what this is competing with. This will blow most things it competes against out of the water. I imagine this might also be a pretty big hit in Japan.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2005, 07:22 PM

Star Wars Guy, I really don't get what your problem is with the cables. When you use a computer do you spend your whole time looking at the case moaning about all the wires? Really? No, you look at OS X on the monitor. Looking at the picture you posted, the back of that mini is pretty neat, have you seen the back of a PC?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by ajprice:
Star Wars Guy, I really don't get what your problem is with the cables. When you use a computer do you spend your whole time looking at the case moaning about all the wires? Really? No, you look at OS X on the monitor. Looking at the picture you posted, the back of that mini is pretty neat, have you seen the back of a PC?
Neat?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 04:56 PM

How often do you put your computer on its side and trail the cables around the front of it? Is that a realistic image of a Mac mini in normal use? No!

This is a 2" high headless computer we're talking about, you said a G5's cables were OK because you can't see them as they're in the middle of the machine. Well the G5 is 10 times taller than a mini, there's a lot more computer for the cables to hide behind. All I can think of that would sort out this non problem is to borrow from the Cube design, encase it in plastic suspended 3 inches up like a Cube, with the ports on the bottom. Either that or invent wireless power supply, USB, Firewire and display connections. Or live with the fact that a computer has cables plugged into it in order to for it to work. Macs are designed to look good, the cables in the picture are a necessary evil, and Apple have done the best they could with them. Mac cable design could be a lot worse than it is on the mini, be thankful.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jan 14, 2005, 07:05 PM

I am really, really considering buying a mini together with a 20" cinema display, instead of an iMac G5. Call me crazy, but some minor cable issues looks much better than f.e. the meant for "post-it" only surface on an iMac. Besides, the mini would be standing slightly behind the display.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by fhoubi:
I am really, really considering buying a mini together with a 20" cinema display, instead of an iMac G5. Call me crazy, but some minor cable issues looks much better than f.e. the meant for "post-it" only surface on an iMac. Besides, the mini would be standing slightly behind the display.
Just get the mini and epoxy it to the back of the display --> MAKE YOUR OWN iMac G5 (err..G4)!!!!11!!1!1!1!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by fhoubi:
Big performance difference though.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2005, 02:02 AM

Yah but in a few years you'll be able to update the mini and keep the 20 inch LCD

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2005, 02:26 AM

I've got your mac mini's very large external parts right here!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2005, 06:19 PM

Yes: It's a power brick.

No, it's not the PowerMac G4 Cube's power brick.
In fact, it's about 1/3 the size of the Cube's power brick.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

fhoubi
Senior User
Jan 15, 2005, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Big performance difference though.
Yeah.. the mini would be at least twice at fast as my iBook 700 is right now, a G5 iMac would be 3.5 as fast... Big deal? BTW I suffered an hearing problem 3 years ago... I like my iBook is dead silence.. I suppose the mini is too.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jan 15, 2005, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Neat?
Neater.

Forum Links
Forum Rules