Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Installing a new hardrive on a Cube

Installing a new hardrive on a Cube
tom.lindblom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2005, 03:38 PM

Hello,

I managed to change a default maxtor drive to a Seagate drive on my new Cube. The change itself was pretty easy. But now I can't manage to install OS X 10.3.3 on the new drive. The problem is that the OSX installer says that this disk can't be used as a starupdisk. Disktool shows the disk is fine? The drive should be set to Master.

What can I do?

Thanks for any help you can come upp with.

Cheers, Tom
( Last edited by tom.lindblom; Apr 19, 2005 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Problem resolved. Thanx!!)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 05:07 PM

Is it formatted HFS+? If it's not, I think you can launch disk utility form the installer, and format it from there.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

tom.lindblom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2005, 05:18 PM

Yes I launched the disk utility and got the OSX installed. But now the machine won't boot up again. Is starts ans stops, starts and stops all the time. The disk is set to master and is a Seagate 7200.

Originally Posted by chris v
Is it formatted HFS+? If it's not, I think you can launch disk utility form the installer, and format it from there.

tom.lindblom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2005, 05:40 PM

Hi again

The system profiler says my harddrive is unit number 0 and the MATSHITA DVD is unit number 1.

DOes this mean my harddrive should be set to slave?? I don't know if this is the original optical drive...

The old maxtor harddrive had the jumpers in positions 7and8 plus 5and3?

Cheers Tom

PowerCube
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2005, 10:39 PM

Is the DVD a DVD-RW? What model number does System Profiler give for the Matshita? If the DVD is an aftermarket upgrade, then the HD needs to be set to Slave, as the aftermarket Cube DVD-RW's are hardwired as Master.
Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

tom.lindblom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 02:03 PM

HI,

The optcial unit is a MATSHITA DVD_ROM SR-8186. I think it's the original one but I'n not sure..?

I think excess heat could be causing the shut downs? I have also installed an GFMX2 card from a G4 tower so together with the new drive it might be to much??

Cheers,

//Tom

PowerCube
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 07:03 PM

There have been known issues with heat causing shutdowns due to an excessively sensitive power switch on the top of the Cube. A fan might help matters, as could a small piece of paper placed between the switch and the Cube casing.
Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules