Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP hand on report..

PSP hand on report.. (Page 10)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2005, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
All those complaints have to do with the implementation. In fact those are all positive and they all mention it takes time to adjust to.

A truly good game should be easy to play regardless of the control mechanism.

I'd also like to point out that a false statement in all caps is still a false statement.
He likes to bold false statements too.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2005, 09:05 PM

A coworker has a PSP. Gotta say, that is one cool toy.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2005, 01:14 AM

Why did sony decide to sell only the "Value Pack" in the US and not just the handheld? i have 2 or 3 spare memory stick cards already and i dont give a darn about any of that other junk in there. i just want the darn system, i will supply my own headphones, thankyou.

I would really like to save that extra money and put it towards either games or just leave it in the bank. its like 250 for the "VALUE" pack (which is filled with cheap garbage accessories) versus ~185$USD for what people paid in Japan for the system alone...

ripoff on all that extra. 250 is a lot of money. thats half a mac mini... I still would like to get a PSP at some point.

Patrick

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2005, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by AppleCello:
Why did sony decide to sell only the "Value Pack" in the US and not just the handheld? i have 2 or 3 spare memory stick cards already and i dont give a darn about any of that other junk in there. i just want the darn system, i will supply my own headphones, thankyou.

I would really like to save that extra money and put it towards either games or just leave it in the bank. its like 250 for the "VALUE" pack (which is filled with cheap garbage accessories) versus ~185$USD for what people paid in Japan for the system alone...

ripoff on all that extra. 250 is a lot of money. thats half a mac mini... I still would like to get a PSP at some point.

Patrick
Then buy the Japanese import if you're not going to play movies on it.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2005, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Then buy the Japanese import if you're not going to play movies on it.

Mike
no i want the US version, just not the garbage that they overcharge for on top of the system itself. This is their way of gouging the US market to regain some of their costs, or at least to minimize their costs. they charge about 40$ extra over what it costs them to include those crap accessories. VALUE pack! they try to make me believe its a good deal like im some idiot.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 01:58 PM

no i want the US version, just not the garbage that they overcharge for on top of the system itself. This is their way of gouging the US market to regain some of their costs, or at least to minimize their costs. they charge about 40$ extra over what it costs them to include those crap accessories. VALUE pack! they try to make me believe its a good deal like im some idiot.
Hey you call it crap but I need and want all that stuff. You can wait 6 months for them to ship the regular system or you can just sell the mem cards and get it now.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
All those complaints have to do with the implementation. In fact those are all positive and they all mention it takes time to adjust to.
********. They all say an analog control would have been better so what is the point of the touch screen.

Remember what happened to the Newton as people didn't want to teach the computer how to read handwriting? You should have to adjust to it, it should adjust to you.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2005, 02:07 PM

Before you say you're not an 'idiot', take an English class.

Mike

Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 08:40 PM

"March 4, 2005 - Here's a surprising revelation for those with an eye on Nintendo's sizable secret gaming vault. In a recent interview, Shigeru Miyamoto reveals that the upcoming Puppy Times (Nintendogs in Japan) dog-raising simulation was originally started as a GameCube game. The game's development team tried out a number of experiments on the GameCube and, while they were able to make some realistic-looking dogs, they determined the resulting gameplay experience to not be much fun. So, they moved the project over to the DS."

So it is boring so they move it to the DS. Makes sense.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/593/593624p1.html

Cellery
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 06:42 AM

I'm not really into buying UMD movies, so I had my friend pick me up a PSP standard pack while she was in Japan. For $180 the thing is amazing, I've paid hundreds more for Sony CLIEs that had less impressive specs. Though I have a DS, I've spent most of my time playing Zelda: The Minish Cap on it and have only purchased Mario 64 and WarioWare.

The PSP's analog disc works well, but is located in a somewhat awkward position. I get thumb cramps if I play Ridge Racers for too long, but that's partly my fault. Like the iPod, it'll scratch if you look at it wrong, but I used some Turtle Wax on it and it's largely unscathed so far. I also cut some PDA screen protectors to use until an accessory maker releases some in the U.S. Battery life is better than expected, though I was a little disappointed when I only got 3 hours on the first charge. The battery seems to have be broken in now, and I can go for about 4-6 hours with mixed usage. I got an extra battery too, so the issue is largely moot.

A stupid EB employee said that you'd need special Memory Sticks made specifically for the PSP to save games, but I used one from my camera with no problems. Loading times are a bit annoying but the results are worth it. I'm glad I didn't have any dead or stuck pixels, and the square button issue seems to have been fixed. Also while I was at EB I checked out their prices on launch games and EA titles for the PSP are selling for $50, which I think is a bit high.

Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Cellery:
though I was a little disappointed when I only got 3 hours on the first charge
That is because they charge it when they make it but it fades while sitting in a box. On the second charge it should be double. Also your brightness should be set to half as full is way to bright anyway.

Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2005, 01:49 PM

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2005, 01:57 PM

Eww. WHo brought the N-Gage?

Ham Sandwich
Mar 17, 2005, 07:13 AM

Wow. Not seeing an actual PSP before in person, I had no idea of just how small it was! Here I was thinking that my DS would be considerably smaller than my PSP...

Does anyone know yet what the file size of a standard movie (90 min) is going to be for the PSP? I'm quite disappointed in the fact that 1GB Duo sticks aren't readily available and don't know if a movie will even fit on a 512MB stick (would assume but don't know for sure).

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2005, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Busy day?

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2005, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by screamingFit:
Wow. Not seeing an actual PSP before in person, I had no idea of just how small it was! Here I was thinking that my DS would be considerably smaller than my PSP...

Does anyone know yet what the file size of a standard movie (90 min) is going to be for the PSP? I'm quite disappointed in the fact that 1GB Duo sticks aren't readily available and don't know if a movie will even fit on a 512MB stick (would assume but don't know for sure).
Star Trek: First Contact fit just fine with the right compression.

Mike

Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Busy day?
Are you embarrassed by that wicked cool, large, flamming DS?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2005, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
So you're going to be playing online on the subway? You're going to be playing online camping? Your battery on your PSP is going to last long enough to play all that music and those movies when your camping? Maybe playing online at the airport I can see, but wouldn't you just use a laptop then? And if the average adult was at a beach, I bet they would not be playing games.

Why is Sony including all these extra features that no one is going to use an driving up the cost? If I want to play MP3's camping, I take my iPod which actually does a good job playing MP3's with a decent battery life (although cold snowy mountains don't help).

And you can't tell me the speaker on the PSP is good for music. That is also silly.
This guy has been making awesome points. Who goes on the beach and plays a handheld video game system? Right...that's just about the biggest turnoff ever for a single guy, and about the most embarrassing thing for a g/f or wife to see her hubby doing. It's the BEACH! Enjoy the sand, sun, and waves!

I'm not saying the PSP isn't a great idea, I like it. But for goodness sakes pull out your PSP when you're bored and trapped at work, not when you're on the beach or camping!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
This guy has been making awesome points. Who goes on the beach and plays a handheld video game system? Right...that's just about the biggest turnoff ever for a single guy, and about the most embarrassing thing for a g/f or wife to see her hubby doing. It's the BEACH! Enjoy the sand, sun, and waves!
News flash, I don't care if girls think I am cool

benb
Mar 17, 2005, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I can tell you for me.

I have a half hour commute on the subway each day to work. So that is 1 hour a day of play.

I am going on vacation next week and would love the PSP for the long wait at the airport and for sitting on the beach all week. Not to mention the bus ride from the airport which is 4 min. So just in the next 2 weeks there is about 12 hours of NOTHING to do while traveling.

After that I go camping a lot and would love a portable movie player not to mention something that can play my MP3's through a speaker.

Funny thing is I am not the only one.
I like video games. I usually play a game rather than watch TV.

But on vacation I'd rather be a tourist than play video games. Sit on the beach with your PSP? Camping? I'd rather go to bed early and get up for the sunrise. Four minutes on the bus and you need to whip out the PSP? Man, I need to get away again.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by benb:
I like video games. I usually play a game rather than watch TV.

But on vacation I'd rather be a tourist than play video games. Sit on the beach with your PSP? Camping? I'd rather go to bed early and get up for the sunrise. Four minutes on the bus and you need to whip out the PSP? Man, I need to get away again.
I just got back from a week on the beach. I listened to my iPod and read magazines. I wouldn't have minded a PSP but I would have killed for one on the 4 hour flight and 3 hour bus ride. Beach or not I would have had hours to kill with it on the travel down there.

I hit the beach at 8am to 6pm every day. You can only read, snorkel and suntan so much before you crave something else.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2005, 02:14 PM

I just got back from a week on the beach. I listened to my iPod and read magazines. I wouldn't have minded a PSP but I would have killed for one on the 4 hour flight and 3 hour bus ride. Beach or not I would have had hours to kill with it on the travel down there.

I hit the beach at 8am to 6pm every day. You can only read, snorkel and suntan so much before you crave something else.
Well who's fault was it that you planned the vacation BEFORE the PSP was released?

Mike

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Well who's fault was it that you planned the vacation BEFORE the PSP was released?

Mike
it's true.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2005, 02:22 PM

I agree. The whole point of having a PSP is to give you something to do during boring, long trips. You can play games, listen to music, watch TV episodes or movies, etc. I find that the iPod can only alleviate tedium to a certain extent during plane/train journeys. Eventually, music gets boring and I want a videogame or something to watch. That's where the PSP is quite handy.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 17, 2005, 02:35 PM

You think that sucks I mean my keyboard came with the ~key on it. I don't know why anyone would give you something you don't need and drive up the cost like that!
You obviously aren't geek enough. I can think of 107 keys that are more worthless than that! I mean, no other key says home quite like that one.

Oh, but for me, it's the right shift key. I never use it.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Oh, but for me, it's the right shift key. I never use it.
Oh ya, I don't think I have ever even noticed that key.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by JohnSmithXTREME:
I agree. The whole point of having a PSP is to give you something to do during boring, long trips. You can play games, listen to music, watch TV episodes or movies, etc. I find that the iPod can only alleviate tedium to a certain extent during plane/train journeys. Eventually, music gets boring and I want a videogame or something to watch. That's where the PSP is quite handy.
Sure. I agree. But my point is Sony is going to be going against laptops in these areas, which are far more capable. At least in the college crowd here, EVERYONE owns laptops. Why buy a PSP when most college students already have a laptop with more functionality. When you're on an airplane, on a bus, at an airport, or even at the beach a laptop is a better solution, and most people in the PSP target market already have one. I know when I'm on train trips at least half the people on the train have laptops. Usually someone starts an adhoc network and we all share music via iTunes. The PSP can't really even do that.

The DS seems to be doing things you can't do on a laptop. Some of them are very stupid things, I have no desire to play with puppies on my laptop, but they are at least not going directly against laptops. If I bought a DS, I know it would have unique games that I couldn't get for my laptop. Meantime I could play Grand Theft Auto for PC on a laptop instead of playing it on a PSP.

All in all the PSP just seems like an extra toy that does more of the same.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 03:52 PM

Sure. I agree. But my point is Sony is going to be going against laptops in these areas, which are far more capable. At least in the college crowd here, EVERYONE owns laptops. Why buy a PSP when most college students already have a laptop with more functionality. When you're on an airplane, on a bus, at an airport, or even at the beach a laptop is a better solution, and most people in the PSP target market already have one.
You're telling me I should take a $1500 laptop and whip it out on the subway or on the beach in another country? Not to mention the size is 10x bigger and the battery much worse.

I can slip the PSP into a coat pocket, not a laptop.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2005, 04:13 PM

You're telling me I should take a $1500 laptop and whip it out on the subway or on the beach in another country? Not to mention the size is 10x bigger and the battery much worse.

I can slip the PSP into a coat pocket, not a laptop.
An iBook battery can last for 5 hours... not to mention the train I take has power.

And unless you're going to walk away from your laptop at any point, I'd feel fine using my laptop on a beach. Obviously you're not going to be right close to the water, but you wouldn't want to be near the water anyway with a PSP.

People buy laptops so they can use them other places than home ya know. And a laptop really isn't that hard to carry, and if you're going somewhere, you probably already have a backpack or bookbag.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 04:26 PM

An iBook battery can last for 5 hours... not to mention the train I take has power.

And unless you're going to walk away from your laptop at any point, I'd feel fine using my laptop on a beach. Obviously you're not going to be right close to the water, but you wouldn't want to be near the water anyway with a PSP.

People buy laptops so they can use them other places than home ya know. And a laptop really isn't that hard to carry, and if you're going somewhere, you probably already have a backpack or bookbag.
hey man, go nuts with that laptop, not much of a stocking stuffer for a teenager but if it works for you....

I have an iBook, don't like any of the games for it and it isn't something I would haul to work on the subway each day to play a game.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 04:29 PM

A laptop is nothing like a PSP. How can you use a mouse on a subway? It's not portable at all. It's just a silly comparison to make.

Have you ever tried using a laptop in sunlight? It's impossible.

Not sure about the screen on the PSP, but it's probably better outdoors.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
A laptop is nothing like a PSP. How can you use a mouse on a subway?
A PSP somehow gets away with not using a mouse... It's really not hard to play games without one.

I'm just saying Sony's marketing to a crowd which in most cases can already play the same sort of games portably with better graphics.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
A laptop is nothing like a PSP. How can you use a mouse on a subway? It's not portable at all. It's just a silly comparison to make.
Yup, it is totally stupid comparison but I ain't gonna bother with the guy. I mean a $300 machine built for gaming next to $1500 Mac laptop that is notorious for **** games

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 04:56 PM

A PSP somehow gets away with not using a mouse...
It has a friging control pad/joystick not a trackpad and 120 keys

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2005, 05:08 PM

Yup, it is totally stupid comparison but I ain't gonna bother with the guy. I mean a $300 machine built for gaming next to $1500 Mac laptop that is notorious for **** games
Did I say Mac laptop?

Oh wait. Theres the catch. I never said Mac laptop. Most people own PC laptops. Yes, I said an iBook can get 5 hours battery life, but a Centrino PC can last even longer.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 05:17 PM

Did I say Mac laptop?

Oh wait. Theres the catch. I never said Mac laptop. Most people own PC laptops. Yes, I said an iBook can get 5 hours battery life, but a Centrino PC can last even longer.
Ya whatever. So far you are the only person on the planet who has ever mentioned that a laptop would be better than a PSP and cater to the same market.

You made your point, leave it at that.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2005, 12:37 PM

This dock is a cool idea:

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 10:07 PM

There is an interesting article in todays paper about the PSP. I scanned it for the reading enjoyment of all the fanboys and trolls who keep this thread alive... i haven't read any of this thread since it derailed... too much since-less arguing.

472 kb image

Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 04:58 PM

Interesting stories:

Sony PSP vs. Nintendo DS
http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/features/5...ntendo_DS.html

Nintendo DS vs. Sony PSP
http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/features/5..._Sony_PSP.html

Verdict: Sony PSP vs. Nintendo DS
http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/features/5...ntendo_DS.html

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2005, 10:12 PM

I think this PSP will be an absolute winner if we can buy UMD burners and media(At a reasonable price!!!) and can burn our own content such as movies and pictures to a UMD disc. Also some sort of external battery to increase the running time for watching movies. I don't think the memory stick is the proper medium for storing movies for quality viewing.
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by JohnM15141:
Also some sort of external battery to increase the running time for watching movies.
They already have a nice case that does that.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2005, 10:27 AM

Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 12:14 PM

Turns out that GTA and GT and headed for the PSP this year. Nintendo is in big trouble.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 12:19 PM

Turns out that GTA and GT and headed for the PSP this year. Nintendo is in big trouble.
Oh no! What will gamers do who don't care about those games?

Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
They will buy a DS and that puppy tickling game and take over the market.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
Don't you mean their parents?

Mike

Ham Sandwich
Mar 23, 2005, 01:38 PM

Though it is a cool bit of electronics, the headline for that story is a bit of an exaggeration:

"It's the biggest thing to happen to electronic gadgets since the AA battery."

CNN's cumming all over themselves doesn't disuade me, though. Why on earth if the stores have it in stock can't they sell it NOW?!!? Grrrrr...!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by screamingFit:
Though it is a cool bit of electronics, the headline for that story is a bit of an exaggeration:

"It's the biggest thing to happen to electronic gadgets since the AA battery."
Calling that idiotic statement an exaggeration is quite the understatement. The Walkman, Gameboy, cell phone, digital camera, and iPod were all bigger.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Calling that idiotic statement an exaggeration is quite the understatement. The Walkman, Gameboy, cell phone, digital camera, and iPod were all bigger.
Ya it should have been titled: "It's the biggest thing to happen to electronic gadgets since the the Nintendo DS."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 04:39 PM

Ya it should have been titled: "It's the biggest thing to happen to electronic gadgets since the the Nintendo DS."
Tell the truth -- you aren't really 29, are you?

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Forum Links
Forum Rules