Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP hand on report..

PSP hand on report.. (Page 3)
Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
Well eBay prices on completed auctions do show about every PSP going for at least $300, if not higher into the $500 range. Average is probably $350 or so. Might be worth it to grab a few if you can.
Will customs let you come back with $1000 worth of PSPs?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2005, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Will customs let you come back with $1000 worth of PSPs?
Looks like I could get away with $800 without penalty.
As a returning resident, you are entitled to a duty-free exemption for newly purchased goods up to the value of $800 if the goods accompany you when you arrive in the U.S. Goods in excess of $800 that accompany you are dutiable at a flat rate of 3 percent for the next $1000 in value, goods that are not covered by the personal exemption or flat rate of duty (anything over $1800) are assessed duty in accordance with the item's Harmonized Tariff Schedule classification number. (Schedule available on the U.S. Customs Service's website).
But then again, I could declare each at half its real value and they wouldn't know the difference.

I don't have the money to purchase a bunch anyway so trying to get around the limit isn't much of an issue.

[edit: This customs page explains it in detail. Looks like I'd have to pretend they are gifts, too.
( Last edited by Xeo; Jan 9, 2005 at 06:34 PM. )

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 12:59 AM

I think I can wait 2 months for the west version to ship, it might have some small hardware or quality changes by then.

At any rate you should still bring as many as you can back and sell em on ebay.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 04:55 PM

Oh well so much for the DS:

"As if playing too much GTA didn�t make you want to run around hijacking cars and killing hookers, you will soon be able to play the game on Sony�s new Playstation Portable - in a car, while running over hookers._ Take Two announced today that a new Grand Theft Auto game is in the works for the PSP, and_� get this_� it will take place in Liberty City._ In our estimation, it�s news like this that will make the console take off in a big way, since it�s the big marquee titles that usually end up driving people into the arms of one console or another._ Take Two also announced that they are working on a version of their Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition street racing gaming for the PSP._ That�s just not fair, Sony."

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2005, 07:53 PM

Of course with Ridge Racer getting 3 hours of battery life on the PSP... I'd expect two hours in GTA on the PSP...

Talk about lots of rehashes of games everyone's already played... Maybe it'll be a card game version of GTA.

Sony is also going to have issues with this one. The handheld market is huge in little kids. Trying to target the market at older people is a bad idea because a) we don't have time for games b) if we do, we want to play them at home on big screens and sound systems, and c) older people usually have laptops already which can play games like GTA. By pitching GTA as a major release game, they're shooting themselves in the foot. No mom is going to let their kid buy a game "to run over hookers in a car".

You can't target the handheld game market at older adults, it just doesn't work... All the handheld game systems I've bought in the last 4 years just got dumped after a few weeks. And with a battery life of two hours, I might as well play on a cheaper console if I'm going to be tied to a desk. I'm not buying a DS either right now because I'd need pim functionality to justify it.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
Of course with Ridge Racer getting 3 hours of battery life on the PSP... I'd expect two hours in GTA on the PSP...
Actually that is the out of the box time, the average for that game is over 5 hours.

Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 02:54 PM

How cool is this:

Apparently, Sony is developing software that will allow television broadcasts to be playable on the PSP (and laptops) via wireless internet connection. The technique is called �place-shifting� and will allow users to access content stored on remote locations. Interestingly enough, the software will be available in North America first. No word on release date or price. We�ll keep you posted.

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000547026795/

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 03:53 PM

PSP = Tuesday/Wednesday
woot!

dazzla
Senior User
Jan 16, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
PSP = Tuesday/Wednesday
woot!
Hmmm, it's not is it...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2005, 11:56 PM

How cool is this:

Apparently, Sony is developing software that will allow television broadcasts to be playable on the PSP (and laptops) via wireless internet connection. The technique is called �place-shifting� and will allow users to access content stored on remote locations. Interestingly enough, the software will be available in North America first. No word on release date or price. We�ll keep you posted.

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000547026795/

Isn't this called streaming? Place shifting?
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by dazzla:
Hmmm, it's not is it...

you! argh! stalker!

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 01:45 PM

Not for me but I am sure it will be a huge hit for music.

"The Register is reporting that Sony will be launching a new music service specifically for its PSP portable gaming system. The new download service is supposed to be in place by March here to coincide with the launch of Sony's player. Tony Smith speculates that the service, once in place, could just as easily be used to push video content down to the device, which doesn't have a hard drive, but can accept flash MemoryStick in 1-2GB sizes�plenty big for a couple of movies.

I think if Sony's got a shot at the iPod, the PSP is it�it can do almost everything you'd want to do while on the road, including productivity stuff (if they release a keyboard)."

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-...for-psp-031456

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2005, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Not for me but I am sure it will be a huge hit for music.

"The Register is reporting that Sony will be launching a new music service specifically for its PSP portable gaming system. The new download service is supposed to be in place by March here to coincide with the launch of Sony's player. Tony Smith speculates that the service, once in place, could just as easily be used to push video content down to the device, which doesn't have a hard drive, but can accept flash MemoryStick in 1-2GB sizes�plenty big for a couple of movies.

I think if Sony's got a shot at the iPod, the PSP is it�it can do almost everything you'd want to do while on the road, including productivity stuff (if they release a keyboard)."

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-...for-psp-031456
I doubt it... the PSP won't be big on music the same reason Palm Pilots are.

a) Small Capacity
b) Larger device
c) Have to buy memory stick

The iPod is the no hassle way to listen to ALL your music on the go. The PSP isn't in the same realm. It's a low capacity MP3 player whos main strength is as a gaming system. If people were interested in such a thing, Palm pilots would have probably sold better. Myself, I don't really bother with music on my Palm. I have both an iPod and a Palm, and I usually carry both on me.

Now I'm going to go back to feeling like a tool for responding to all these posts.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 03:24 PM

I doubt it... the PSP won't be big on music the same reason Palm Pilots are.

a) Small Capacity
b) Larger device
c) Have to buy memory stick
a) 1-2 gigs
b) Smaller than the DS
c) everyone with a PSP already has a memory stick.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2005, 03:46 PM

a) 1-2 gigs
b) Smaller than the DS
c) everyone with a PSP already has a memory stick.
a) Less capacity than even an iPod mini.
b) But still too big for a pocket, and I wouldn't want it in my pocket with that screen
c) A tiny 32 megabyte one.

No one is going to buy a PSP for music. The only people using it for music will be the hardcore gamers, who probably would buy one anyway. Besides that, the songs will be sold in ATRAC still, which sucks. The PSP can play MP3, but Sony wouldn't sell in an unprotected format.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 05:38 PM

a) Less capacity than even an iPod mini.
b) But still too big for a pocket, and I wouldn't want it in my pocket with that screen
c) A tiny 32 megabyte one.
a) 1-2 gigs is bigger than the hit iPod shuffle
b) Smaller than the DS pocket or not and it come with a nice case:

c) you can buy your own memory card and the 32 only comes with the value pack.

From the Wired review:

"To call the PSP one of the most attractive handheld electronic devices ever made would be no exaggeration. The black-and-silver casing, with its translucent buttons and glossy finish, is a thing of beauty"

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,21...w=wn_tophead_2

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 28, 2005, 08:47 PM

Oh, I couldn't find any in Japan. Every store was sold out and no one knew when they were getting more.

Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Oh, I couldn't find any in Japan. Every store was sold out and no one knew when they were getting more.
It is outselling the DS and it hasn't even shipped in North America yet. So no surprise.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2005, 10:51 PM

a) 1-2 gigs is bigger than the hit iPod shuffle
b) Smaller than the DS pocket or not and it come with a nice case:

c) you can buy your own memory card and the 32 only comes with the value pack.

From the Wired review:

"To call the PSP one of the most attractive handheld electronic devices ever made would be no exaggeration. The black-and-silver casing, with its translucent buttons and glossy finish, is a thing of beauty"

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,21...w=wn_tophead_2
a) Much more expensive than the shuffle
b) Still not smaller than the iPod
c) For the price of a PSP plus 1 gig memory stick you can buy a 20 gig iPod. Twenty times the capacity

The PSP taking on the DS, thats arguable. The PSP taking on the iPod, thats insane.

I also read a story on how developers for the PSP are complaining about the design of the buttons and how they're not built to react quickly. Sony's reaction: "Design using the faults of the system". Thats great. It's not a bug... its a feature!

From interviews I've read with developers, they seem more eager to work on the DS than the PSP. I read one interview were a developer said the PSP was going to take over... but then at the end I noticed the developer worked for Sony Online Entertainment...

It also seems the DS version of Need For Speed Underground has more features and better graphics than the PSP version. Not surprising considering Ridge Racer was a straight N64 port.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 04:33 AM

It is outselling the DS and it hasn't even shipped in North America yet. So no surprise.
DS = 2.45 million. PSP = <.5million. whats your source ? provide a link maybe ?

also worthy of a note:
-of the <.5 million PSP units sold,many consumers have complained of defects, such as the disc flying out n weird stuff like that (IGN)
-Nintendo's initial estimates for the DS were 3.x million by March 2005. they have already sold 2.45 million, opended an additional facility for manufacturing the DSs in China, and raised their estimates.
-Sony is still trying to iron out production to try and raise output of the PSP.

The PSP seems like a great upgrade to the traditional cportable console. but i think they could have made a better console product by eliminating the music/movie/moving media stuff. Unnecessary featureset most gamers will never use but end up paying for.

if you ask me, i think the PSP is capitalizing on the Playstation brand to sell this device inorder to make aan online music/movie store a viable business for sony. After they announced the PSP music store, it seemed as though gaming took a back seat.

But if they plan to push that aspect of the device, youd think they'd build a worthy competitor to the iPod mini..... the PSPs size, battery, weight, interface, capicity is atrotious compared to other music players.

I'll admit, if it were a purely gaming device, wiout the music/movies and with non moving media, id pick it up.

It's like those little things that would annoy ppl while gaming....
-load times
-moving media errors
-battery life

theyre still there with the PSP, whereas the DS has addressed them, as well as upped the graphics and sound, and interface. (Unlike the PSP which has upped the graphics(significantly) and sound, and neglected the others). if sony had paid attention to the entire gaming experience as opposed to concentrating solely on visuals and sound, they'd have a near perfect traditional gaming portable console. (traditional as opposed to voice recognition, dual screen and touch control of course).

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jan 29, 2005 at 05:02 AM. )

Destonius
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2005, 06:36 AM

Not to mention third parties running away from PSP now. Konami and Capcom just pulled out along with tons of other minor developers. Even the killer title Metal Gear Acid only sold 55,000 copies, so that's not surprise really. They didn't sell 510,000 units. They just shipped 510,000. There's a big difference. Never believe Sony hype.

Sony's way of dealing with the customers has been a disaster and most gamers in Japan really hates them now. With the news of Halo 2 success abroad on X-Box, some gamers are starting to consider the alternative console, next console war should be an interesting one. X-Box 2 might actually do quite well in Japan against PS3 while Nintendo goes for something different. Creater of FF Sakaguchi has already announced the development of 2 RPG's for next generation X-Box and Nintendo, but not PS3. Interesting.

I wonder how PSP will do abroad. The price range oversea seems to be way higher than Japan, 200 pounds in UK for an example. (That's around $400 US.) Wonder if there will be any lawsuits against PSP defects in US where people sue for anything and everything.

DS is good, but I'm already bored with it. Need some new games. Yawn...

...explosante fixe...

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2005, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Destonius:
[...]
DS is good, but I'm already bored with it. Need some new games. Yawn...
That's what backward compatibility is for. Seriously, I've bought more GBA games since I've bought a DS, but only one DS game (Mario). Honestly, the backward compatibility is the only thing saving it from people complaining about a drought after launch (much like the early days of the PS2).

Oh, and it's 2.84 million (Shipped or sold? Dunno. Can anyone read the original source?). That's the up side. The down side, DS software sales aren't so hot. Between the demo, PictoChat, and download play, software sales are in the doldrums ~ 5 million total.

Upcoming DS games I'm interested in (won't necessarily buy - depends on how they turn out, of course) and their release dates (or here):
  • Warioware Touched - Feb 14
  • Bomberman DS - Mar 1
  • Rayman DS - Mar 31
  • Nanostray - Mar 31
  • Ultimate Card Games - May 31
  • Metroid Prime Hunters - Jun 30
  • Castlevania DS
  • Mario Kart DS
  • Lost in Blue
  • Advance Wars DS
  • Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals DS
  • Ultimate Brain Games - Jun
  • Dynasty Warriors
We'll see. I expect things to be slow and somewhat mum until E3.

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 08:06 PM

ooh mario cart

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
[*]Castlevania DS
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Michael1980
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 08:54 PM

Apparently some stuff like web browser/word processor are coming out and there is talk of Sony opening up the disc format (1.8gb).
Plus it will be posible to get some emulators running as well (nes/snes etc).

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2005, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by Michael1980:
Apparently some stuff like web browser/word processor are coming out and there is talk of Sony opening up the disc format (1.8gb).
Plus it will be posible to get some emulators running as well (nes/snes etc).
Word processor on the DS I could see... but how would you use a word processor on a PSP?

Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
DS = 2.45 million. PSP = <.5million. whats your source ? provide a link maybe ?

Cheers
I was hoping you would ask

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000803028873/

Spong is reporting that the PSP has surpassed the Nintendo DS in terms of hardware sales (for this week only, I presume), stating that the PSP moved 64,600 units, while the DS moved 53,500 units. And that�s not counting exports.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2005, 12:07 AM

I was hoping you would ask

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000803028873/

Spong is reporting that the PSP has surpassed the Nintendo DS in terms of hardware sales (for this week only, I presume), stating that the PSP moved 64,600 units, while the DS moved 53,500 units. And that�s not counting exports.
Thats like Mac OS X sold more units the weeks after its release than Windows XP...

And how would that not count exports?

Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 12:36 AM

Thats like Mac OS X sold more units the weeks after its release than Windows XP...

And how would that not count exports?
Right, and considering that the PSP hasn't even shipped in North America yet and has been out for weeks that is not impressive at all is it

Destonius
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 12:41 AM

SCE CEO Kutaragi also stated the concept of turning PSP into a mobile phone last week in an interview. LOL!! Yet another shocking Sony concept from the eleventh dimension. SCE has been giving me a non-stop entertainment without even buying PSP, or PSX for that matter. You should check out his recent interview with Nikkei, Japanese equivalent of Business Week, in which he basically told all PSP users to f&%k off and accept the "features" as a work of an art. Noone would dare make complaints to great architects, he says. There's an English version available online. It's pretty funny.

Sony seems to maintain the brand image overseas in general, but the whole Sony empire is now falling apart really fast. It's scary how much difference leaders can make in the corporate environments. (Steve Jobs being our great example.) Mr.Morita was a god, but his successors Idei and Ando have completely corrupted and destroyed everything that was great about Sony. It's sad, really. They were so great back in the old days when Mr.Morita was alive and kicking. (Honda lost its edge when Mr.Honda passed away too, but at least they didn't rot to hell like Sony.)

With all this hardware talk about handhelds and consoles, I don't think I'll ever feel that sense of wonder I felt in the past with video games ever again. Maybe that's a good thing. Don't know.

I'll never forget seeing Space Harrier in arcade for the first time in my childhood. I was completely hypnotized by FFVII and Mario 64 after 5 years of not playing any video games at all. I remember staying up for 3days straight, skipping classes and not even eating playing these games with massive headaches and bloodshot eyes. And just when I thought that I had cleared FFVII, Square had to release FFT. Those were the days.

P.S. Sorry for not posting any online sources, but they are all in Japanese, so it probably won't do any good anyway.

...explosante fixe...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2005, 05:06 AM

Right, and considering that the PSP hasn't even shipped in North America yet and has been out for weeks that is not impressive at all is it
Except its just that... units shipped. Not units purchased.

It's not a good sign when even Sony themselves can't figure out what they want the PSP to be.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Destonius:
Square had to release FFT.
Definitely the cream of the crop in the PS catalog

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 06:28 PM

Worldwide, more than 2.84 million Nintendo DS systems have been sold, a little less than half of which (1.39 million) are here in the States. Because of the phenomenal demand, Nintendo has raised its hardware sales expectations to 6 million DS units shipped out by the end of their fiscal year, which is March 31. That's a million more than previously expected.

The bad news is, DS games are not selling nearly as well as Nintendo would have liked. Only 5 million games have been bought up by DS owners around the world, which is far less than the 15 million Nintendo was expecting. Their software expectation mark has been lowered to 10 million because of the lack of sales.

The features of the DS are leading to its poor game sales numbers. Players are playing the included PictoChat and Metroid Hunters Demo, taking advantage of the single-card wireless multiplayer feature, and playing GBA games on the DS. With game variety still a little slim, DS owners are happy with what they've got at the moment, apparently.

http://planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5967

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2005, 06:52 PM

Worldwide, more than 2.84 million Nintendo DS systems have been sold, a little less than half of which (1.39 million) are here in the States. Because of the phenomenal demand, Nintendo has raised its hardware sales expectations to 6 million DS units shipped out by the end of their fiscal year, which is March 31. That's a million more than previously expected.

The bad news is, DS games are not selling nearly as well as Nintendo would have liked. Only 5 million games have been bought up by DS owners around the world, which is far less than the 15 million Nintendo was expecting. Their software expectation mark has been lowered to 10 million because of the lack of sales.

The features of the DS are leading to its poor game sales numbers. Players are playing the included PictoChat and Metroid Hunters Demo, taking advantage of the single-card wireless multiplayer feature, and playing GBA games on the DS. With game variety still a little slim, DS owners are happy with what they've got at the moment, apparently.

http://planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5967
I don't think people playing GBA advanced games on their DS is a bad thing... Why would it be?

Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 09:20 PM

I don't think people playing GBA advanced games on their DS is a bad thing... Why would it be?
Can't get enough of this thread can ya.

Well here is why... BECAUSE THEY DON'T MAKE MONEY IF PEOPLE PLAY OLD GAMES!!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2005, 09:22 PM

Can't get enough of this thread can ya.

Well here is why... BECAUSE THEY DON'T MAKE MONEY IF PEOPLE PLAY OLD GAMES!!
But they make money when people buy the system to play the old games...

Unlike Microsoft...

Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 09:25 PM

But they make money when people buy the system to play the old games...

Unlike Microsoft...
2 minutes till defence, neat.

Well as you saw from the other post the sales are down and PSP's are taking over even though it hasn't shipped in the US yet.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 11:05 PM

Well as you saw from the other post the sales are down and PSP's are taking over even though it hasn't shipped in the US yet.
What warped dimension are you from ? The PSP and DS were released a couple of weeks apart. Nintendo has shipped and sold close to 2.8 million units. Sony hasnt even been able to manufacture half as many PSPs let alone sell them. If you are talking about 'immaginary' PSPs in your head, then i cant argue with you. But ...ill let the numbers speak for themselves.

NDS = 2.8 million. PSP < 1 million. And if your taken high school math, that means the NDS is outselling the PSP by a huge factor, since it's measures in millions. And personally, i dont care 'why'...maybe it's cause sony cant manufacture them, or release it in north america or couldnt release it at the same time as the NDS.... it dosent matter. Just as the PS2 was released a whole year earlier..it's the dominant system out there.

By the way.... remember when OSX came out ? many of us baught it, but had to switch back to OS9 to use the apps we needed....the apps were not all there when OSX was unleased. cause we had a new architecture, a new interface and new APIs. In the same way.... games for the DS were not all available at launch because, developers were not only working with a new architecture/system, and they couldnt not merely port games onto it (although they will eventually), because it included an undocumented new dimension to portable gameplay, and developers need time to figure out what to do with it, or youll get games like the sonic demo at E3 *shudder*. And thats why gamers are playing GBA games for now on he DS (the same way we were all switching back to OS( when we had OSX on the same machine.

To sum it up. PSP is far , far behined the NDS.... the NDS leads by almost a factor of 300%.

Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
To sum it up. PSP is far , far behined the NDS.... the NDS leads by almost a factor of 300%.
Your math is warped. You are taking north american sales and sales from Japan plus adding an extra month of sales.

That is why the PSP is outselling the DS and even with only selling it in Japan and not being able to keep up with demand.

Wait till it hits North America.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2005, 11:21 PM

It couldn't be that I happened to check the forum right after you posted. Rather I sit around and reload all day because I just love bashing the PSP.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2005, 11:26 PM

Your math is warped. You are taking north american sales and sales from Japan plus adding an extra month of sales.

That is why the PSP is outselling the DS and even with only selling it in Japan and not being able to keep up with demand.

Wait till it hits North America.
If its selling so well, why are game developers ditching it? It's not selling as well as the DS. It's very much obvious. Not only that, but the DS is about to launch in Europe. Developers don't care about the user base in just Japan. They care about overall. A game developer wants to sell as many units as they can. If the DS has 2.5 million units out and the PSP only has 600,000... sucks to be them. Game developers will go with who has more out. And, as we can see, game developers are started to ditch the PSP and its only a few months old. Meantime the number of DS games coming is up to 160. PSP is at what... 20?

dazzla
Senior User
Jan 31, 2005, 03:03 AM

Game developers are ditching PSP? Hardly. I admire the way you pull random numbers out of your ass as well.

Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 03:09 AM

If its selling so well, why are game developers ditching it? It's not selling as well as the DS. It's very much obvious. Not only that, but the DS is about to launch in Europe. Developers don't care about the user base in just Japan. They care about overall. A game developer wants to sell as many units as they can. If the DS has 2.5 million units out and the PSP only has 600,000... sucks to be them. Game developers will go with who has more out. And, as we can see, game developers are started to ditch the PSP and its only a few months old. Meantime the number of DS games coming is up to 160. PSP is at what... 20?
Where in the world are you getting this crap from? The PSP has been out about a month not "few months" and show me what developers are ditching it after a month.

If anything when they see the DS is selling 1/3 of the number of games that Nintendo projected they might ditch the DS.

Destonius
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2005, 03:19 AM

Chill out people. It's only portable video gaming devices we are talking about. Jeez.

Konami and Capcom has already frozen their developments along with many other minor developers. Plus, some of the biggest resellers have stopped selling PSP altogether after being flooded with defective PSP's with no support from Sony whatsoever.

Like I said before, you probably can't read Japanese, so there's no point for me to post any online sources for you. If you can, you can just google for it. You'll be laughing on the floor.

...explosante fixe...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2005, 03:25 AM

Where in the world are you getting this crap from? The PSP has been out about a month not "few months" and show me what developers are ditching it after a month.

If anything when they see the DS is selling 1/3 of the number of games that Nintendo projected they might ditch the DS.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/577/577553p1.html

"Nintendo's always dominated the handheld gaming market, and with the addition of the Nintendo DS to the ruling class, other systems (ahem -- PSP -- ahem) will have a real challenge ahead.

Just how well are the Nintendo portables doing? Today Nintendo announced that the DS system has sold 1.3 million units in North America so far. The Game Boy Advance, long a champion, is still no slouch: the system sold 8 million units in North America in 2004. Nintendo points out that makes the GBA the nation's best-selling video game system.

The DS has more than 160 new titles already planned, including Need for Speed Underground 2, WarioWare: Touched!, Pokemon Dash, Yoshi Touch & Go, and Retro Atari Classics.

GBA owners need not worry, either, with more than 125 upcoming titles, including WarioWare: Twisted!, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Mario Party Advance, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Pokemon Emerald, Ace Combat Advance, Klonoa 2, and Banjo Pilot."

If only 1.3 million DS's were sold in the US, that means there were 1.4 million sold in Japan, doubling the PSP.

Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 12:27 PM

For the second week in a row, the Sony PSP is outselling the Nintendo DS in the Japanese market. The latest figures point to continued strength for both devices, but the nascent trend has to be a little worrisome to Nintendo. Regardless of what some people claim, the two devices are very much in competition, and the numbers game is a crucial measuring stick, as the industry watches very closely. The DS still has an edge in overall sales.

Also of interest in the list is the Xbox outselling the original Gameboy Advance.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 12:55 PM

Also of interest in the list is the Xbox outselling the original Gameboy Advance.
You are a riot! The Xbox is outselling the original Gameboy Advance? In other news, the Xbox is outselling the Sega Master System, NES, and Genesis -- combined!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2005, 02:44 PM

The PSP looks cool as hell but there is only one problem.

It doesn't seem to have any games I actually want to play. Is there a list of all the games in development somewhere?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2005, 06:25 PM

For the second week in a row, the Sony PSP is outselling the Nintendo DS in the Japanese market.
...It's Monday...

Destonius
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2005, 06:58 PM

PSP is just the tip of the iceberg, really. I guess PSP interests me because of its symbolic significance in the Sony empire which is starting to crumble fast now. I don't really care about DS / PSP competition. I don't care which hardware succeeds as long as I get the games I want to play.

Sony stocks have fallen quite dramatically last week, but there was no Sony shock this time around, meaning none of the other tech stocks were affected by the atrocious performance of Sony in last quarter. The analysts call it reverse Sony shock, portraying the loss of significance of Sony in the electronics field. Some think that it's too late for Sony to make a comeback now. I really wouldn't be surprised if they get bought out or collapse altogether in next 5 years. It probably sounds like a lot of bogus to people outside Japan, but that's the reality in Japan.

Sony is losing money in all divisions with no future in sight, including insurance and bank divisions, with the exception of Sony Pictures, which barely turned out profit thanks to Spiderman 2 last year, but that's not something they can depend on for long. They have nothing that's unique &/or innovative in their product lineup now, just look at iPod dominance in the portable audio device market, and people are starting to get fed up with their proprietary approach and products that mysteriously break down around the time warranty expires.

I don't think people at Sony know what they are doing with all the rivalry between the divisions and unfocused product lineups. (Speaking of unfocused product lineup, Sony Japan just announced the new series of Vaio including 53 new model types!!) How many types of Memory Sticks do they have now!? You can't even use the same type of Memory Stick you use with PSX with other Sony products. Crazy... Like I said, PSP is the perfect symbol of current state Sony is in.It's a mess. 2005 should be an interesting year for Sony and Apple.

...explosante fixe...

Forum Links
Forum Rules