Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple admitting they have an iPhone?

Apple admitting they have an iPhone?
Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 03:47 PM

"At the event, Jobs took pains to point out that the phone would not compete with Apple's popular iPod music player, but should viewed as an iPod accessory. "Wouldn't it be great if you could take a dozen of your favorite songs with you" on a cell phone, Jobs said at the time."

http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2..._1216aapl.html
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 04:02 PM

I like the 200M song sales tid bit. Good news.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 04:08 PM

...and it begins. Apple's path to Microsoftization.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 04:10 PM

that article is not about an apple branded phone. it's just a rehash of the old news about the motorola phone that will sync with itunes in some way. i don't relish the concept of transferring mp3s over a ~10-20 kB/s bluetooth link, just for the record...

tavilach
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
that article is not about an apple branded phone. it's just a rehash of the old news about the motorola phone that will sync with itunes in some way. i don't relish the concept of transferring mp3s over a ~10-20 kB/s bluetooth link, just for the record...
"the mobile phone they are developing"
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 04:18 PM

"If the phone is as far along as Cue suggests, then Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs would be likely to announce it during his annual keynote speech at MacWorld Expo, scheduled for Jan. 11, 2005 in San Francisco. "

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2004, 04:40 PM

Can't wait... hopefully it will be a nice product and AT&T will carry it. Otherwise I'll have to ditch them to get myself one Anyway I'd just like a motorola phone that will sync well with my powerbook...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2004, 04:53 PM

phones are taking over PDA functions and in a few years it will have the capacity to be a full iPod as well.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2004, 04:54 PM

i don't relish the concept of transferring mp3s over a ~10-20 kB/s bluetooth link, just for the record...
that's the first thing i thought of.
moving a bunch of photos off my t616 takes a while. i can't imagine say 50mb of music

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
phones are taking over PDA functions and in a few years it will have the capacity to be a full iPod as well.
don't forget digital cameras. i keep hearing about more and more megapixels in phones

Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
that's the first thing i thought of.
moving a bunch of photos off my t616 takes a while. i can't imagine say 50mb of music
I would think it would have some sort of iPod USB/firewire proprietary port.

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
...and it begins. Apple's path to Microsoftization.
Look at it this way - I like the quality and style of my ralph lauren polo shirts and deem the company as a fine producer of clothing. So, when I need to get a good quality pair of pants, I look first to Polo to see if they have something that fits my needs.
In the same way, I like the quality and design of my iPod and Powerbook. Now that I'm in the market for a cell phone, if Apple produces one I'll check theirs out first because I know that their other products have suited me well.

I see what you're saying about Apple spreading itself too thin, but that's not the way that companies work; at least not if they're run well, which it appears Apple is. They justify production of a product, and resources devoted to it, based on the revenue it brings in. I seriously doubt they're devoting Mac resources to iPods, nor will they devote any to the "iPhone" - my bet is that Motorola is doing all the work and slapping an Apple logo on it and iTunes inside. Companys create new branches instead of splitting the time, resources, and people of current sectors.

There's no real downside to Apple venturing into new markets that their current customer base already spends money in. If it's a good product and we embrace it, it'll make them millions and that can never hurt. The path to "Microsoftization" is laden with piece of sh*t products, poor software, and horrible integration. That's not the way Apple likes to do business, so I'm putting faith in them until I see a product...Then I'll judge.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 05:17 PM

I will buy an itunes compatible iphone where I can swap song filled memory cards with others.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
don't forget digital cameras. i keep hearing about more and more megapixels in phones
yeah those things too. Cheers sister camera phone is I think one megapixel.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 07:13 PM

I do not think this will be a very Applesque product at all, but rather a new Motorola phone that works with Fairplay/iTunes. It kinda makes sense for Apple, since there are jillions of cellphone users out there, and now Apple can get them to sign up for an iTMS account, through the inevitable free-songs/minutes promotions. Once they have an iTunes account, you just know they're gonna want an iPod. Remember, the iTMS pretty much exists just to feed iPod sales.

I wouldn't mind being wrong, though.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 07:47 PM

Apple chose the right partner with Motorola.
If it looks anything like the RAZR they are on to a real winner, Thos phone is red hot at the moment. People I know in the phone biz say that searches for this phone on the net are out ranking any other mobile phone term, including the 'Cheap Mobile Phone' term.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 08:06 PM

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
If it looks anything like the RAZR they are on to a real winner, Thos phone is red hot at the moment. People I know in the phone biz say that searches for this phone on the net are out ranking any other mobile phone term, including the 'Cheap Mobile Phone' term.
I saw the phone and wasn't that impressed, it is sorta wide.

At any rate Apple said in that story it would not be over $500 because they want the general public to afford it.

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 09:40 PM

that razer phone would be cooler if it didnt have that thing on the bottom.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2004, 10:01 PM

and I just signed my life away to Verizon for the next two years.

Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
and I just signed my life away to Verizon for the next two years.
So, Apple is not going to offer a cell phone service, just a phone.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2004, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I'm sure the iPhone thing will be GSM. Verizon is CDMA. That's why I get such a shitty selection of phones from Verizon. It's the trade of for always getting a good signal.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 11:20 PM

With what service will the phone be compatible though?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 11:20 PM

I realy hope Apple designs it, not motorolla.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2004, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by KeyLimePi:
I do not think this will be a very Applesque product at all, but rather a new Motorola phone that works with Fairplay/iTunes. It kinda makes sense for Apple, since there are jillions of cellphone users out there, and now Apple can get them to sign up for an iTMS account, through the inevitable free-songs/minutes promotions. Once they have an iTunes account, you just know they're gonna want an iPod. Remember, the iTMS pretty much exists just to feed iPod sales.

I wouldn't mind being wrong, though.

i agree...it's probably software for the phones...iTunes to go idonno

Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
I am sure you can unlock it to any service just like every other GSM phone.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2004, 01:00 AM

iPod phone

Serious though, I think this is gona be a great product, I always said I wouldn't buy a phone till Apple made one.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2004, 02:09 AM

I don't think there's going to be an iPhone. I think Apple is just going to be providing iTunes service to Motorola phones.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
depends what sim card you put in it, all of them if you are careful with what sim card you buy, what company's like verizon do is just slap their logo on a premade cellphone and insert their sim card.
Originally posted by juanvaldes:
yeah those things too. Cheers sister camera phone is I think one megapixel.
I hate when these megapixel discussions get out of hand, one megapixel is three times the resolution of a standard tv. the reason most cameras have such high megapixel ratings is because they use it to improve bad color representation by averaging out the pixels.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 04:02 AM

... i thought apple was designing it and moto was building it?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 04:34 AM

I would buy an Apple GSM phone without thinking twice. The design and usability of all their other products makes it clear that Apple makes the best designed consumer electronics, hands down.

I've recently been thinking about getting a Danger Hiptop (AKA T-Mobile Sidekick). I've been to a number of retail stores to try it out, and it is always a hassel for the stores to round up a unit that I can try that is even real. I haven't been able to find a store that will put a real Sim card in one so I can actually try the phone and the data service. Imagine shopping for a car and having the sales person tell you he only had inflatable mock ups of the cars, and that he didn't have the ability to let you drive one before you bought it. I'm always amazed that all the cell phone dealers try to sell phone using plastic dummy phones. Most cell phone UIs are crap. Even though it contradicts my first sentance, I can't imagine why anyone would buy a device with a UI like a cell phone without trying it. The reason I would buy a Apple mobile phone is knowing that they care about how their products work and about how easy they are to use.

Anyways, moral of the story: Apple has revolutionized many industries already like computing, music, and advertising. I could easily imagine Steve wanting to take on mobile phones.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2004, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by GSixZero:
I could easily imagine Steve wanting to take on mobile phones.
I can't.

Makes no sense for Apple to create a phone. If it blows, it hurts iPod sales which hurts Mac sales which hurts Apple.

Now, packaging a mobile version of iTunes and maybe iPhoto and offering Apple help to a company such as Motorola makes more sense. And will it be only for North America which lags behind the rest of the world when it comes to mobile phones and mobile cellular services.

A sharp phone such as the Razr (with more memory damnit) or one with Series 60 with the ability to play iTunes' content and improved iSync (or .MacSync once Tiger is released) functions would be far more attractive and practical than an "iPhone".

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

milhous
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 05:09 AM

here's the clip of jobs talking about the itunes mobile music player at the motorola media event (motomediamania).

link to event: http://www.motorola.com/content/0,,2645,00.html

link to movie: http://www.motorola.com/mot/doc/1/1559_MotDoc.mpg

enjoy.
F = ma

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2004, 05:18 AM

The clip of jobs talking sure made it seem like they are working with motorola to develop iTunes for the phone, not a phone itself.

The forbes article is an interview with "Eddy Cue, vice president in charge of applications at Apple." The vice president in charge of applications is likely talking about software they are developing for the phones that motorola makes, not a hardware phone.

So, I'm not expecting anything hardware-wise on this front coming out of Apple.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
I can't.

Makes no sense for Apple to create a phone. If it blows, it hurts iPod sales which hurts Mac sales which hurts Apple.
You could have just as easily said this about the iPod ~3 years ago. "It makes no sense to make music device. If the iPod sucks, and no one buys it, then that'll really suck for Apple." Well, look at it now. Apple has arguably redefined the music industry in the last 3 years. Apple's stock has doubled in the last 3-4 months because of iPod sales. Why wouldn't Apple be able to do the same to the mobile phone industry?

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by FulcrumPilot:
I can see why it's called razr!

http://direct.motorola.com/experienc.../2803130_1.jpg
Now that is wicked. Me likey. I hope Sprint Nextel will start using these phones.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by FulcrumPilot:
I can see why it's called razr!

http://direct.motorola.com/experienc.../2803130_1.jpg
Huh, Mr. Obvious !

-t

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 02:53 PM

I say heck with it and combine a cell phone, a iPod, a PDA, and the computing capacity of a PowerMac G5

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by GSixZero:
You could have just as easily said this about the iPod ~3 years ago. "It makes no sense to make music device. If the iPod sucks, and no one buys it, then that'll really suck for Apple." Well, look at it now. Apple has arguably redefined the music industry in the last 3 years. Apple's stock has doubled in the last 3-4 months because of iPod sales. Why wouldn't Apple be able to do the same to the mobile phone industry?
Because the mobile phone industry has already been tapped, everyone and their mom has a cell phone.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 09:53 PM

My favorite cellphone company mixed with my favorite computer company. Good things are bound to come out of this.

If it's anything like the razr I'll get it -- sight unseen!!
Aloha

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 10:34 PM

well ring tones are the highest money making downloadable music THING there is out there. Imagine if it were with iTunes

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 17, 2004, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
depends what sim card you put in it, all of them if you are careful with what sim card you buy, what company's like verizon do is just slap their logo on a premade cellphone and insert their sim card.
Nyet! Only GSM phones use SIM cards. All the others are programmed at the factory for the network, and individually identified by the phone's ID number alone, much the way analog cellphones were years ago.

You know the step for a GSM phone where they take the new SIM card and scan its individual barcode? Well, for CDMA and all the others, they just scan the phone's barcode.

Heck, even the GSM companies have the phones custom-made. They don't, as you imply, buy phones and then apply their labels. No, they are labeled at the factory, and also have each carrier's custom firmware and default settings applied. Then it's packaged in a custom box, with custom SKUs, custom manuals, and all the carrier's desired promotional materials, and in many cases, the carrier's SIM as well.

tooki

Cipher13
Dec 17, 2004, 11:59 PM

Damn. I want this phone.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2004, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Nyet! Only GSM phones use SIM cards. All the others are programmed at the factory for the network, and individually identified by the phone's ID number alone, much the way analog cellphones were years ago.

You know the step for a GSM phone where they take the new SIM card and scan its individual barcode? Well, for CDMA and all the others, they just scan the phone's barcode.

Heck, even the GSM companies have the phones custom-made. They don't, as you imply, buy phones and then apply their labels. No, they are labeled at the factory, and also have each carrier's custom firmware and default settings applied. Then it's packaged in a custom box, with custom SKUs, custom manuals, and all the carrier's desired promotional materials, and in many cases, the carrier's SIM as well.

tooki
my cell phone wasn't, at least not custom manuals and box. besides all modern phones are gsm, or satelite.

Cipher13
Dec 18, 2004, 12:56 AM

my cell phone wasn't, at least not custom manuals and box. besides all modern phones are gsm, or satelite.
Just because *yours* wasn't doesn't mean all are that way.

If you're in Australia, look at the Vodafone Live setup, for example. Branded phones, custom firmware, crippled interaction with a differently branded SIM, etc.

And no, not all modern phones are GSM or satellite. Rural Australia uses CDMA, for example, which land-wise, has a larger coverage area than GSM (I'd guess).

And what about Verizon, in the US? They're CDMA, no?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2004, 01:27 AM

all the providers in my area use gsm, they come with standard issue phones with a logo on them and they have standard boxes.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2004, 04:13 AM

all the providers in my area use gsm, they come with standard issue phones with a logo on them and they have standard boxes.
Are you in the US? See T-Mobile. Custom box, a T-mobile manual, and the T-mobile label slapped on the phone. The phone itself can be unlocked, but it starts out locked into the T-Mobile network.

Or AT&T. I assume custom box and manual since their phones are permanently locked on to the AT&T network. I don't know how this is changing since the wireless division was bought by Cingular, but they are pretty jerky about keeping phones on their network.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2004, 05:34 PM

I am is canada, and yes they do come locked but it is easy to change.

Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 01:28 AM

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 01:35 AM

Is this it?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1749057,00.asp
I want picky!

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2005, 02:13 AM

The RAZR is a quad band phone, I am sure the iTunes phone will also be quad band (CDMA-GSM-Analoge-and somthing else)
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

Forum Links
Forum Rules