Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > More prayer than cash for tsunamis victims

More prayer than cash for tsunamis victims
Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 12:14 AM

Almost three-quarters of Americans surveyed in a poll released Thursday have prayed for victims of the southern Asia tsunamis, but when it comes to cash donations, only 45 percent have pulled out their wallets.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/06/tsu...oll/index.html
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 12:25 AM

Prayer is cheap, and as effective as placebo in a recent study
Why actually get involved?
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
- A Lincoln

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Almost three-quarters of Americans surveyed in a poll released Thursday have prayed for victims of the southern Asia tsunamis, but when it comes to cash donations, only 45 percent have pulled out their wallets.

Your point?

Or is this another one of your lame "America is teh sucks, and I swear I don't have an obsession about America or religion" threads?

If so, it's redundant. There are plenty of threads you have made just like this.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by mikellanes:
Prayer is cheap, and as effective as placebo in a recent study
Why actually get involved?
Prayer also doesn't require delivery by helicopter. It's instant.

God, of course, reacted immediately

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Or is this another one of your lame "America is teh sucks, and I swear I don't have an obsession about America or religion" threads?
Please stop obsessing over me and feeling insecure about my threads, your country and religion.

Posting all the graphics in the world and calling me names will not make anything less valid.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 01:26 AM

Please stop obsessing over me and feeling insecure about my threads, your country and religion.

I am not the one that keeps making these insecure threads. I am also not the only one that has pointed it out to you.

Seek help.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
Prayer also doesn't require delivery by helicopter.
Prayer is also something anyone can do. Rich or poor.

Why SWF thought this is an issue worth posting about is beyond me.

Besides his usual insecure rants about America and religion that has plagued this forum for awhile now.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 01:31 AM

I'm with Zimpire.... sorry SWG

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 02:01 AM

What was I just saying in another thread about the need of some to constantly make REDICULOUSLY IRRELEVANT comparisons, using utterly meaningless percentages in order to sate their obvious need to discredit literally everything the US does?

Prime example.

Gee, how terrible. Many people pray and hope for the wellbeing of others. HORROR OF HORRORS! What�s the world coming to?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 7, 2005, 02:25 AM

When I saw the first report of the tsunami, I thought "Jesus Christ, don't let this be as bad as it looks". Does that count? I mean, I just thought I was taking his name in vain. Who knew?
Nemo me impune lacesset

Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 02:26 AM

Funny I don't remember posting any personal opinions in this thread.

Perhaps someone should write CNN and ask them to get over their obsession with Christians and religion.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 02:43 AM

Perhaps someone should write CNN and ask them to get over their obsession with Christians and religion.
It's a poll you posted to fit your own personal opinion. It gives the wrong impression to the people who have gotten to know you here. What is their to debate? By the way... I'm not religious nor do I have a job so I cannot apply either way to that poll.

Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
It's a poll you posted to fit your own personal opinion. It gives the wrong impression to the people who have gotten to know you here. What is their to debate? By the way... I'm not religious nor do I have a job so I cannot apply either way to that poll.
It is an interesting fact, not the debate of the century.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 02:59 AM

Zimphire...the ad hominem tastes good don't it?
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 04:34 AM

If 45% of Americans are donating money to relief efforts, I'd say that's pretty good! I wonder what other country could eclipse such a number. It's probably close or similar in most western nations.
( Last edited by itai195; Jan 7, 2005 at 05:13 AM. )

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
If 45% of Americans are donating money to relief efforts, I'd say that's pretty good! I wonder what other country could approach such a number.
OH HERE WE GO AGAIN!

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 05:01 AM

It's rare but this time I am also with Zimphire!

Please stop using the Tsunami disaster for any polidiotic penis comparison threads ASAP - this is disgusting!

roberto blanco
Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 06:07 AM

i find prayer to be a nice "gesture", just like whishing somebody well...or hoping for the best.

what i find quite stupid and insulting though, is when people believe that prayer has any "real" or physical effect. or even worse, when people offer prayer instead of "hands on" aid.

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 08:28 AM

You don't have to. You've posted enough silliness about the US and Religion to last a lifetime.

Don't blame anyone else. You made the bed you lay in. Maybe you should think about that before you hit the "submit" button.
Originally posted by badidea:
Please stop using the Tsunami disaster for any polidiotic penis comparison threads ASAP - this is disgusting!

Originally posted by roberto blanco:

what i find quite stupid and insulting though, is when people believe that prayer has any "real" or physical effect. or even worse, when people offer prayer instead of "hands on" aid.
Well that is on you. At least you had the guts to say it unlike other people in here.

Not that it really matters much what you find insulting or stupid. That doesn't take away from the facts.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 08:33 AM

It's a poll you posted to fit your own personal opinion.
I don't see a poll? Am I missing something, I see a discussion... sort of.
- A Lincoln

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by mikellanes:
I don't see a poll? Am I missing something, I see a discussion... sort of.
The article has a poll. Hence the "Almost three-quarters of Americans surveyed in a poll"

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 09:18 AM

The article has a poll. Hence the "Almost three-quarters of Americans surveyed in a poll"
He made it seem like this was a poll, saying he couldn't participate because he was a jobless heathen.

I get it now
- A Lincoln

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by UNTiMac:
Zimphire...the ad hominem tastes good don't it?
Only when it is personal and not logical yes. Notice I am not the only one that has said it. SWF has a problem. See this as a intervention.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 09:49 AM

Perhaps we should now start an argument over which country has praed more for the tsunami victims, and then argue whether we should judge by sheer numbers or based on Faith Per Capita.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Dakar:
Perhaps we should now start an argument over which country has praed more for the tsunami victims, and then argue whether we should judge by sheer numbers or based on Faith Per Capita.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
When I saw the first report of the tsunami, I thought "Jesus Christ, don't let this be as bad as it looks". Does that count? I mean, I just thought I was taking his name in vain. Who knew?

You're going to straight to hell for that one ... without collecting 200!

Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 12:08 PM

Actually I was rather impressed with the 45% number.

Funny how some people took this thread as a negative because of insecurity.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 12:29 PM

Yeah it was insecurity.

It couldn't be the hundreds of anti-American anti-Religious threads you have posted over the years.

Naw. It's all us.

SWF when people that pretty much dislike me, and don't usually agree with me, starts agreeing with me on something. It's time to stop backpeddling and blaming others for your problem.

If this was indeed a legit post (Which is highly questionable) you still brought it on yourself because of your past and recent additions to the forum.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Troll:

You're going to straight to hell for that one ... without collecting 200!
Yeah I missed that one first time around. Thanks for pointing it out.

Funniest post I have read all day.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 12:33 PM

That is impressive actually. Of course, people don't have to tell the truth in polls. Considering $120m has been collected from private donations in the US, that means most people are giving donations of less than $1. That seems very strange to me.

Private donations for Europe are around $700m now and, having manned a collection point in Vienna last week for a few hours, I'd say around 20% of people were giving (including those who said they'd given and were believable). If that's indicative of Europe as a whole, that would make the average donation for Europeans around 20 Euros each which is what I'd judge the average donation to have been.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 12:55 PM

That is impressive actually. Of course, people don't have to tell the truth in polls. Considering $120m has been collected from private donations in the US, that means most people are giving donations of less than $1. That seems very strange to me.

Private donations for Europe are around $700m now and, having manned a collection point in Vienna last week for a few hours, I'd say around 20% of people were giving (including those who said they'd given and were believable). If that's indicative of Europe as a whole, that would make the average donation for Europeans around 20 Euros each which is what I'd judge the average donation to have been.
Classic.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 12:56 PM

Oh really?

Is that why you quoted this from the article and didn't comment on it?

but when it comes to cash donations, only 45 percent have pulled out their wallets.
Does that bike go as fast backwards as forwards?

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2005, 12:56 PM

Semi OT. This is interesting. In the US, charitable donations are tax-deductible. In effect, that tax policy is a US government subsidy for private charitable donations. The idea is to encourage charitable giving, and to also encourage larger donations.

Both houses of Congress unanimously passed H.R. 204 an amendment to the tax code allowing tsunami donations made in January, 2005 to be deducted from 2004 taxes. This should have the effect of increasing private donations, because people will be able to lower their tax bills due on April 15, 2005.

Taxprof blog has the text of the act and commentary. Here is the text:

SECTION 1. ACCELERATION OF INCOME TAX BENEFITS FOR CHARITABLE CASH CONTRIBUTIONS FOR RELIEF OF INDIAN OCEAN TSUNAMI VICTIMS.

(a) IN GENERAL- For purposes of section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, a taxpayer may treat any contribution described in subsection (b) made in January 2005 as if such contribution was made on December 31, 2004, and not in January 2005.

(b) CONTRIBUTION DESCRIBED- A contribution is described in this subsection if such contribution is a cash contribution made for the relief of victims in areas affected by the December 26, 2004, Indian Ocean tsunami for which a charitable contribution deduction is allowable under section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

Because this was passed unanimously, it is veto proof. Not that I think that it would have been vetoed anyway.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2005, 12:59 PM

Your insecurity regarding religion? That's the only insecurity I've noticed in this thread.

As I've mentioned before, your obsession with God and religion is rather pronounced. You do realize that you start about half of the religion threads on MacNN?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
You do realize that you start about half of the religion threads on MacNN?
I wonder if he is going to make us pull a Lerkfish and bump all religious thread up again to prove a point.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2005, 01:08 PM

I wonder if he is going to make us pull a Lerkfish and bump all religious thread up again to prove a point.
No, I'm not doing that again. That was the only time I've ever been reprimanded by an admin or mod (surprising isn't it?), and I was told that if I did it again I'd be taking a 2 wk vacation from the forums.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Semi OT. This is interesting. In the US, charitable donations are tax-deductible. In effect, that tax policy is a US government subsidy for private charitable donations. The idea is to encourage charitable giving, and to also encourage larger donations.
They do the same in most European countries too although it's not always a 100% deduction. Over here you only get a deduction for 60% of the donation made.

That law's going to be difficult to enforce though. It says the contribution has to be made for the relief of victims of the Dec 26 tsunami. If someone gives money to UNICEF, how is the IRS going to know if it was given to the general fund or to the tsunami relief fund? They probably won't care I guess.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Joshua:
Classic.
Actually the point I was rather clumsily trying to make is that I'd expect the average donation in the US to be closer to $20 than $0.88 which suggests that either some people in the poll lied, the people polled aren't representative or the figure of $120m is wrong.
( Last edited by Troll; Jan 7, 2005 at 01:26 PM. )

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 01:30 PM

Actually the point I was rather clumsily trying to make is that I'd expect the average donation in the US to be closer to $20 than $0.88 which suggests that either some people in the poll lied, the people polled aren't representative or the figure of $120m is wrong.
Hmm, you guys are right, that number is really low and many people probably lied.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2005, 01:41 PM

They do the same in most European countries too although it's not always a 100% deduction. Over here you only get a deduction for 60% of the donation made.

That law's going to be difficult to enforce though. It says the contribution has to be made for the relief of victims of the Dec 26 tsunami. If someone gives money to UNICEF, how is the IRS going to know if it was given to the general fund or to the tsunami relief fund? They probably won't care I guess.
It's no more difficult to enforce than any other charitable donation. Here is the IRS Publication on charitable deductions.

[legal observation deleted. Too close to giving advice for comfort].

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2005, 01:47 PM

Your insecurity regarding religion? That's the only insecurity I've noticed in this thread.

As I've mentioned before, your obsession with God and religion is rather pronounced. You do realize that you start about half of the religion threads on MacNN?
Do you realize you are now on my ignore list? don't know what I waited so long.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2005, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
YES!! Woohoo! That makes 5 (that I know of).

Glad I could strike that nerve for ya. (though, since you won't be reading this, what's the point in me replying?) *ahem*
- Thomas Paine

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 02:24 PM

YES!! Woohoo! That makes 5 (that I know of).

Glad I could strike that nerve for ya. (though, since you won't be reading this, what's the point in me replying?) *ahem*
You are NOT on my ignore list.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2005, 02:25 PM

You are NOT on my ignore list.

- Thomas Paine

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2005, 03:36 PM

You mean Europe (population: 730 million) was able to collect more funds to support the relief effort then the US (population 295 million)?

P.S. The private donations in the US are currently over $200m and growing. The government guaranteed 350m, with the intent on giving more as needed... lay off the USA.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Yeah, you said I was too. But you still reply to my posts.

What's up with that?

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2005, 08:54 PM

Where are you all getting your figures?
Wikipedia is saying the US public has donated $US402 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

EDIT: What's wrong with this bloody URL!?

Anyways, just add "Humanitarian_response_to_the_2004_Indian_Ocean_ea rthquake" to the end of the above URL (without the quotes of course) and you'll get to the article. Then click on "List of major donors" and you'll see the totals so far.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by jbartone:
Where are you all getting your figures?
Wikipedia is saying the US public has donated $US402 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

EDIT: What's wrong with this bloody URL!?

Anyways, just add "Humanitarian_response_to_the_2004_Indian_Ocean_ea rthquake" to the end of the above URL (without the quotes of course) and you'll get to the article. Then click on "List of major donors" and you'll see the totals so far.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=240746

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2005, 09:03 PM

Yes...but it seems to be sourced.

http://blog.simmins.org/td.pdf

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 7, 2005, 09:18 PM

Just being consistent.

Forum Links
Forum Rules