Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dell dismisses "one-product wonder" iPod as a "fad"

Dell dismisses "one-product wonder" iPod as a "fad"
Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2005, 01:42 PM

"It's interesting the iPod has been out for three years and it's only this past year it's become a raging success. Well those things that become fads rage and then they drop off. When I was growing up there was a product made by Sony called the Sony Walkman � a rage, everyone had to have one," he said. "Well you don't hear about the Walkman anymore. I believe that one product wonders come and go. You have to have sustainable business models, sustainable strategy."

http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops...9127101,00.htm
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2005, 01:46 PM

Thats odd, most of my friends and close family still don't have iPods, and now that they have used the one I got for xMas, they want one next year.

I think the iPod will do fine, seeing as every other Mp3 player is either copying it badly or just plain bad.

hayesk
Jan 17, 2005, 01:46 PM

Of course, what do you expect the CEO of a competitor to say? "Yeah, it's a great product! I wish we made it."

But his comparison to the Walkman is stupid. Does he think the Walkman is not popular anymore simply because it was a fad? I thought it had something to do with cassettes no longer being the music medium of choice? (or even availability)

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2005, 01:47 PM

"CEO Kevin Rollins said the number of headlines Apple grabs does not worry him and that the company isn't "in the same league" as Dell."

What league is that anyway?

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jan 17, 2005, 01:48 PM

It`s nice to see that the CEO`s in your country are every bit as stupid as ours.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 17, 2005, 02:04 PM

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 17, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
It`s nice to see that the CEO`s in your country are every bit as stupid as ours.
No country has a monopoly on stupid.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2005, 02:08 PM

Dell is just a stupid low cost manufacturers, they have no control of the softwares and if the component prices go up, they are screwed. And they have their stupid marketing campaigns going on which is really lame.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jan 17, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
No country has a monopoly on stupid.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 02:15 PM

The Walkman faded wioth the rise of CDs, just like CD players will begin to fade with the advent of digital music. Someone day, something else will rise to replace digital music as it we know it now.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 17, 2005, 02:20 PM

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/cszar/bush_debate_poland.jpg[IMG]
Nice how you turned this into a political slam. Real nice.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 17, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
... What league is that anyway?
The one with (nearly) 5 times the sales volume of Apple. Unfortunately.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2005, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by effgee:

In music player sales?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 02:25 PM

I believe that one product wonders come and go. You have to have sustainable business models, sustainable strategy.
well...

i kind of agree. there is going to be a point where iPod sales are going to shrink... the markets is going to be flooded with iPods, their competitors and other solutions such as phones, PDAs, video players...

Apple needs to use their momentum to come out with other stuff or build Mac sales while taking advantage of their "one product wonder"

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jan 17, 2005, 02:25 PM

Nice how you turned this into a political slam. Real nice.
It was meant as a joke since I don`t discuss politics - ever.

Me on Flickr.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 17, 2005, 02:27 PM

In music player sales?
**professorflitwick**
"I doubt it."

Nah. Total sales. IIRC, he was refering to "the company" not being in the same league - no?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 17, 2005, 02:29 PM

It was meant as a joke since I don`t discuss politics - ever.
Kilbey's probably bored.

"Yo Kilbey! You at work already?"

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2005, 02:30 PM

Kodachrome
Jan 17, 2005, 02:34 PM

Big hand of applause to the German for denegrating Poland's contribution to the coalition forces in Iraq.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
well...

i kind of agree. there is going to be a point where iPod sales are going to shrink... the markets is going to be flooded with iPods, their competitors and other solutions such as phones, PDAs, video players...

Apple needs to use their momentum to come out with other stuff or build Mac sales while taking advantage of their "one product wonder"
It's still a bit early to tell but I think the Mac Mini will improve that a bit.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Nick
Jan 17, 2005, 02:51 PM

"When I was growing up there was a product made by Sony called the Sony Walkman � a rage, everyone had to have one," he said. "Well you don't hear about the Walkman anymore."
Yet Sony started making CD players after that with great success...

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 17, 2005, 02:53 PM

Kilbey's probably bored.

"Yo Kilbey! You at work already?"

Not today! I have the day off. GM is honoring Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday today and gave all of it's employees the day off. I think it's great of them to do this and my union have a number of civil rights activities planned. Unfortunately I can't go to any of them.

I am bored right now. My wife and daughter are at the doctor's office for checkups and it is too cold out in my workshop (10 F). And I watched all of my tivoed shows yesterday. Bored I am.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 17, 2005, 02:58 PM

Not today! I have the day off. GM is honoring Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday ...

I am bored right now. ...
Better bored at home than busy at work!

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 17, 2005, 03:00 PM

Better bored at home than busy at work!

A bad day at home is better than a good day at work!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 03:02 PM

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Dell while they may be selling computers like they are going out of style can't sell their MP3 Player as well as the iPod so now they are just crying.

They sound like just about every other analyst who has been and still blasts Apple even though they are doing better than they have been in MANY Years. Apple does something, they get blasted, then the rest of the industry follows. It's the way it has always been. I would be surprised and wonder if the world is coming to an end if detractors didn't bash Apple in some way.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

hayesk
Jan 17, 2005, 03:05 PM

And yet Apple still manages to tick them off enough to make stupid statements to the press.

And yet as high as their sales are, if you took a Dell product away from any user and replaced it with an HP, IBM, or other brand, they probably wouldn't care that much. Nobody cares about Dells products. They buy them because they are cheap. When Michael Dell would say stupid anti-Apple things you could tell that it was out of jealousy. It was sad, really.

It's like if Bill Gates went up to Steve Jobs and said "Ha ha! I have more money than you." Steve could just say "Who cares? We both have more money than we could spend in a lifetime. But people like me because of what I do, not how much money I have."

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 03:08 PM

It's called jealousy. Dell is just another assembler of chintzy PCs, and it was very predictable that they would say something like this, especially considering Apple has just had it's biggest quarter ever.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 03:09 PM

I thought you loved your job, making those quality GM products.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 03:10 PM

Nahh. I love good days at work. A feeling of accomplishment. A bad day at home is just a bad day at home.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2005, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Nick:
Yet Sony started making CD players after that with great success...
And Apple will need to do the same if the don't want the iPod to be "just a fad". This is something that Apple is notoriously bad at doing. Typically, Apple comes out with a great product and then sits on it while everyone else, inspired by that product, go screaming by.

Apple will need to continue to innovate the iPod line if they wish it to be more than a fad. Already, they are starting to look more reactive rather than proactive. There is nothing innovative about the iPod Shuffle. It's just like every other flash based MP3 player.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2005, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
It's called jealousy. Dell is just another assembler of chintzy PCs, and it was very predictable that they would say something like this, especially considering Apple has just had it's biggest quarter ever.
Jealousy? With Dell's market share compared to Apple's, I don't think Dell has anything to be jealous of. Apple's best quarter doesn't even compare with Dell's worst

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2005, 03:20 PM

iPod on faster pace than Walkman

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=765

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
iPod on faster pace than Walkman

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=765
Perhaps so, but that only serves to confirm the fad theory.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 03:29 PM

Why would Dell try to compare its business model to Apple's?

They have almost nothing in common despite the fact that they both compete in some of the same market segments.

The differences in their respective business models is enough to warrant its own upper division Econ class. And perhaps some of Dell's upper management should take that class if they don't understand it.

This isn't about good or bad models. Its a study of contrasting strategies that, according to the bottom line, would both seem to be working quite well.

If not for their business sales, Dell would have gone the way of Micron or inumerable other PC makers a long time ago. Apple doesn't even have a discernable "business" market.

Dell and Apple's business model are, as Julius would say, not "in the ballpark, they aren't even the same g0d d4mn sport!".
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2005, 03:36 PM

Apple can only hope the iPod is as much of a flash in the pan as the Walkman.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Jealousy? With Dell's market share compared to Apple's, I don't think Dell has anything to be jealous of. Apple's best quarter doesn't even compare with Dell's worst
Yes, jealousy. I believe that, underneath it all, Michael Dell is jealous of Apple's ability to constantly innovate creative new products. He's been wildly successful at becoming a low cost producer of me-too boxes, but most CEOs are driven by more than just money; they also want to be known, and remembered, for their accomplishments. You'll notice that he never comes out and says, "We're making more money than Apple ever will." He always attacks Apple's products, and that's out of jealousy.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 17, 2005, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
I thought you loved your job, making those quality GM products.
I have a great job! But I have an awesome home life! Great wife and wonderful daughter. What more could I ask for?

BTW: I don't make GM products. I repair and maintain the machines that make quality GM products. We also make Ford, Volvo, Saab, and various marine engine products at the factory where I work.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 17, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Nahh. I love good days at work. A feeling of accomplishment. A bad day at home is just a bad day at home.
You need a better home life!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 04:14 PM

You need a better home life!
So you're serious in saying that a good day at work, where you've accomplished something, is better than a bad day at home, where you've accomplished nothing?

You need a better job.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 17, 2005, 04:20 PM

So you're serious in saying that a good day at work, where you've accomplished something, is better than a bad day at home, where you've accomplished nothing?
Yup. Completely serious.

You need a better job.
Nope. I have a great job, no complaints. I am paid well and work with great people. My job is very satisfying. I'd say a bad day at my job is better than 98% of other people's best day at their jobs.

Lastly, sounds like you don't like your home life to me. I'll leave it at that.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2005, 04:48 PM

What exactly is Dell's market share in portable music players, compared to Apple's, again?

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2005, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
What exactly is Dell's market share in portable music players, compared to Apple's, again?
they are the one of the 6% hard drive players that in the process of being eliminated by apple according to jobs.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2005, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
If the iPod is just a fad... I wonder what Dell's portable music player is... a blip on the radar?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2005, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
If the iPod is just a fad... I wonder what Dell's portable music player is... a blip on the radar?
for some reason, Dell also seems to have forgotten that the Walkman was a fad that lasted over 15 years...

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2005, 05:11 PM

Ding ding ding.

hayesk
Jan 17, 2005, 06:33 PM

Apple will need to continue to innovate the iPod line if they wish it to be more than a fad. Already, they are starting to look more reactive rather than proactive. There is nothing innovative about the iPod Shuffle. It's just like every other flash based MP3 player.
Actually it's nothing like every other flash based MP3 player. That's the point. Apple ripped out the useless stuff to make a high capacity (for flash), cheap, small, light, and easy to use MP3 player. The others are cluttered with useless one-line screens, voice recorders, and FM radios that many people don't need or want.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2005, 06:44 PM

I believe the iPod is a fad. But thats just me.

Almost everyone I know owns an iPod. Most of the iPod owners that I know have 40GB iPods with around 100-300 songs on them. When I ask them why they didn't get a smaller one they all just say "because its cool."

And yes, I do own an iPod.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2005, 07:00 PM

Well, I dismiss the Dell DJ as a one product blunder!
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2005, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Actually it's nothing like every other flash based MP3 player. That's the point. Apple ripped out the useless stuff to make a high capacity (for flash), cheap, small, light, and easy to use MP3 player. The others are cluttered with useless one-line screens, voice recorders, and FM radios that many people don't need or want.
Apple just could figure out how to improve or to integrate iPod design into the Shuffle ... so they just dodged the issue entirely.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 07:45 PM

Thing is, Sony got huge on the Walkman... and then built a consumer electronics empire. They still make scads of cash... if Apple can do the same thing who cares if the iPod stays huge if the iCam, iTV, iStereo, iHome Theatre, iEverything else sell well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules