Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safely Repartition HD

Safely Repartition HD
jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2005, 01:05 AM

Greetings,

I currently would like to reconfigure my current partition and I was wondering if there was a safe way to do this under OS X.

Basically, I am looking to multi-boot my powerbook G4 with OS X and OpenBSD, but I really do not want to lose the installation of OS X that I currently have installed on /dev/disk0s10 and reinstall from scratch. I have abour 20 gigs free, and would like to allocate 5G to OpenBSD.

Is there something like Partition Magic for OS X, and hopefully one that is not commercial. Thanks for any help.

piracy
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 01:48 AM

There is definitely not a free Partition Magic-like solution (and Partition Magic itself is not free):

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php

The only other alternative would be to clone your current drive temporarily to another drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner or asr, which would be free), reformat and partition, and clone your data back to the appropriate partition.

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2005, 01:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by piracy:
[B]There is definitely not a free Partition Magic-like solution (and Partition Magic itself is not free):

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php

Thanks for the help, this is exactly what I need. Worth the 45 dollars to me, to not lose any data..

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2005, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by jhunt5247:
Worth the 45 dollars to me, to not lose any data..

If your data is important, I'd back it up before doing this. It's not 100% safe (and neither is Partition Magic).

Basically, the only way to safely repartition a hard drive is to back it all up.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules