Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Comment on my little site

Comment on my little site
dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 09:13 PM

It's been online for a while, and I've gotten feedback from a few members of this board, I'd like general forum feedback, if you will.
It's my first site that I've not used a template on
www.sterlingpeoples.com

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 09:38 PM

i think it is pretty cool.

maybe center it?

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 12:49 AM

It's kind of all over the place. Try and come up with a compact, clean design and unify all the different sections with that design.

Gallery = Scary!
Tone down the size of those horizontal bars.
Also, for the pop-up windows, make sure to have the window be about 20 pixels wider and taller than the image size to compensate for the blank space added around the edge of the image by the browser. I'm getting scroll-bars.

Overall, everything is just really big. I wouldn't want to see it at 800*600 resolution.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by mdc:

maybe center it?
I vote for a centering as well. The gallery page threw me off. I expected consistency and it totally changed. All around nice looking, though.

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I'll work on entering it.
The problem with Gallery is, well, I don't know what I'm doing
I've dabbled in some tutorials from there forum, but most assume you know what you're doing to start with, so...that might take a while

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 01:53 AM

Another vote for centering it. Nice site.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 02:10 AM

Centering.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2004, 04:55 AM

Okay, a few pointers:

First of all, the others were right about the gallery - when I clicked there at first it looked okay, I couldn't see what they were talking about; it looked nice and smooth actually. Then, after a few seconds, the BARS suddenly popped up, and I litereally woah'ed out load! Get rid of them, for the love of all that is holy, and a few things that aren't as well!!!

Center, yes. I agree.

And the blue-striped background picture? Lose it. I'd gone to the third page (macro) before it loaded and honestly, the site looks a lot better without it, just plain white background.

The contact link - relocate. Instead of having a link in the navigation menu at the top, have a line at the bottom of each page that says something like, "Got questions? E-mail me" - or something like that. Just don't have that contact link up there. I discovered a millisecond too late that the contact link was a direct mailto:something link, just one millisecond after having clicked it. Que painfully slow Outlook Express starting up and me falling asleep - if you're going to have a contact link in the menu, make it a page like the other links. Otherwise, put the link somewhere else and make it obvious it's a mailto: link.

Besides that, it's a very nice and well-defined site.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2004, 05:40 AM

What's with the tiling background?

Oh, and as I say to everyone getting into web design: The sooner you learn semantic XHTML and CSS-layouts the better your sites will be, and life will be so much easier when your design evolves.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2004, 09:59 PM

I changed the gallery, and I don't know how to achieve that look without a tiling background. I did say I was a rookie
Now I should go center it now...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2004, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
I changed the gallery, and I don't know how to achieve that look without a tiling background. I did say I was a rookie
Now I should go center it now...
Here's how: Save the file http://www.sterlingpeoples.com/galle...lone_style.css on your hard drive. Then open the file in some kind of simple text editor (if you don't know what to use, there's a thread in the web section of this forum about it somewhere).

In the file, change the following:

Find the section that begins with "body" and replace it with:

Code:
body { background: #FFFFFF; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; }
Find the section that begins with "a:link" and replace it with:

Code:
a:link { color: #666666; }
Find the section that begins with ".title" and replace it with:

Code:
.title { font-size: 12pt; font-weight: bold; }
Find the section that begins with ".desc" and replace it with:

Code:
.desc { font-style: italic; padding:3px; margin:8px; font-size:0.7em; width:80%; border: 0px; }

When you've done that, save the file under the same name and upload it to the same place it was before (ie. http://www.sterlingpeoples.com/galle...lone_style.css).

That should do it, more or less.

Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 02:39 AM

Pretty nice.

I wouldn't mind if "SterlingPeoplesPhotography" on the home page was placed at the same vertical position as the text on other pages.

It's a trivial gripe.

So far, good start.

Talk2Angus
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I vote for a centering as well. The gallery page threw me off. I expected consistency and it totally changed. All around nice looking, though.
Originally posted by mdc:

maybe center it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TALK2U Soon
Angus Pohl
Solutions Engineer
Durban
South Afica

Forum Links
Forum Rules