Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I Wait It Out?

Should I Wait It Out?
Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2003, 07:34 AM

I've been wanting an iBook for a while now, and finally I have money that I can spend on one. I'm looking at the 800mhz 12in model, yet I fear that at any time Apple might update them. Yes, I know the question is most common, and no one knows the answer, but when the iBooks are eventually updated (this summer i hope, I wouldn't be able to hold out any longer) would an increased sytem bus make a large difference in speed? Right now 100mhz seems a bit underpowered, or am I mistaken?

Oh, one more thing, when's this year's WWDC?
DBGFHRGL!

suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2003, 08:10 AM

i believe WWDC is in july.
i was gonna wait too, but i just have no will power....
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2003, 12:19 PM

Whatever you get now will definitely be outdated within 4-6 months. An 800 mhz iBook probably isn't going to be all that much slower than whatever comes out next. If there is something that you need to do that the current iBook is too slow for, then wait, but otherwise, why? (With that said, you would probably kick yourself if Apple releases new iBooks a week after you buy yours, so I usually buy right after a new product release)

NETTEN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2003, 01:43 PM

in my opinion, don't buy a new products when it's just released, at least wait another 2-3 months to let the other users find the potential problems and let the company fix them. After that, it's the right time

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2003, 12:28 AM

you are mistaken the WWDC is May 19-23... wasn't it sooner last year? I remember Jaguar running around for a while before it was officially released... hmm... anyway hopefully the new iBoooks will be out sooner than that.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2003, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by Phoible:
Whatever you get now will definitely be outdated within 4-6 months. An 800 mhz iBook probably isn't going to be all that much slower than whatever comes out next. If there is something that you need to do that the current iBook is too slow for, then wait, but otherwise, why? (With that said, you would probably kick yourself if Apple releases new iBooks a week after you buy yours, so I usually buy right after a new product release)
exactly, if you could wait then wait. If not then get one now. Everything gets outdated. I just picked up an 800mhz iBook just like 2 weeks ago, it's an awesome machine.

Or you could get the new 15 inch Powerbook when it comes out

damosan
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Psychonaut:
I've been wanting an iBook for a while now, and finally I have money that I can spend on one. I'm looking at the 800mhz 12in model, yet I fear that at any time Apple might update them. Yes, I know the question is most common, and no one knows the answer, but when the iBooks are eventually updated (this summer i hope, I wouldn't be able to hold out any longer) would an increased sytem bus make a large difference in speed? Right now 100mhz seems a bit underpowered, or am I mistaken?

The thing is this...the very instant you buy your iBook you're have 6 months tops before Apple comes out with something better.

So...just bite the bullet and buy it.

Damo

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2003, 04:38 PM

i agree with everyone. go and buy it now. i have been waiting to get one for a while, then decided to just buy it, and do not regret the descision at all.

the 800 is an awesome machine

im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 15, 2003, 07:20 PM

Apple is going to make a big iBook announcement soon. Once the Powerbooks are out the door and the air settles we will have a new iBook family.

The decision is totally yours, and yours alone. If you buy your machine now you will have an 800Mhz 12' screen, however if you were to wait you might have a 900Mhz or 1Ghz G3 13' and a new case enclosure all for the same price you would payed for the 800Mhz machine....

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

x user
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2003, 07:24 PM

Well, I just picked up my 800mhz 12" this last week as well. I think that this machine is good enough for most people. I love the currant form factor (I had a 500mhz one when they were just introduced). If Apple makes a better machine, then so be it. The main catch is you MUST have at least 384mb to run OS X efficently.

jeffcoop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2003, 11:40 PM

I got my 12" iBook 800 last week, too. It's a super machine. There's always something new coming, but with this release Apple hit a real sweet spot in price/value. As long as you're not doing intensive editing of digital media, this iBook is a fine performer.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2003, 05:14 AM

next revision should be in may (it's always been in may since the iBook 500MHz). so if you don'thet need it now and can wait until the summer, what have you got to lose by waiting? you can always buy the 800 version cheaper at that time. buy it when you need it.
( Last edited by molala; Mar 19, 2003 at 01:58 AM. )

Kaatoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 10:20 PM

Another quick point that I don't think has been mentioned. If you are a Mac user that will keep this as your primary machine for 4-5 years or more, then waiting a bit longer to get another jump in speed may be worth it. Who knows if a bit more speed that far out may just be enough to keep breathing. There are lots of Mac users that really work at keeping their beloved relics running the lastest software. (Much to Apple's disappointment.) If you are planning to keep it as your primary machine for 2-3(max)years then going now or waiting is really a matter of choice.

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2003, 11:59 PM

I am picking mine up this friday (800 combo 12"), could not wait, plus got it for a good price. The way I looked at it, the next revision, may only have minor changes:

- minor speed bump
- bluetooth will make its debut on the iBook
- not sure on the screen size, with 12 & 14 (however maybe the resolution with be bumped on the 14"?)

My only fear is a new case design!

But reading the benchmarks and peoples reviews of the current models I think I am going to be happy with my decision ?
( Last edited by BrettOZ; Mar 19, 2003 at 08:28 AM. )

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2003, 03:21 AM

The upcoming iBook update will probably be revolutionary, not evolutionary. The current iBook design has been out since 2001. It's time for a complete redesign.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2003, 02:04 PM

So now that WWDC has been pushed back a month to late June can Apple wait until then to release the new updates?
The education orders have to be in by the time WWDC happens in most school dist. so I assume waiting until the conference will result in less momentum for iBook sales. That just would not be smart move.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Kaatoo:
...If you are a Mac user that will keep this as your primary machine for 4-5 years or more...
I don't think that keeping a current Mac for that long is realistic. Not at these clock speeds.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2003, 09:27 PM

honestly if you need a laptop now then i suggest you go out & get one. if u can wait then you dont need one & just wait til the next release. my wife has the ibook 800. she loves it. only thing she wish was that screen was bigger but due to the weight she is glad she got the 12" instead.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2003, 08:47 AM

The iBook is a great laptop. But this May or around then there is going to be an incredible update. I think the iBook will change totally. Be prepared
we don't have time to stop for gas

cirque
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
The iBook is a great laptop. But this May or around then there is going to be an incredible update. I think the iBook will change totally. Be prepared
Do you KNOW anything? Or is this an educated guess?

cirque

Kaatoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I don't think that keeping a current Mac for that long is realistic. Not at these clock speeds.
PowerMacMan, personally I agree with you. However, we have all met folks that just love to hug their old Mac's. The Lowendmac site still keeps sections on MacII's!!! http://www.lowendmac.com/early-macs.html Alot of folks do u/g but keep the old model as a second machine and want it to remain somewhat functional. It is not a recommendation, just is something that Psychonaut should understand about his/her intentions.

stew
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 11:24 AM

I don't think the iBook will get a revolutionary redesign before the Powerbook does. The iBook and the 12" PB are too close already, any major improvements/changes of the iBook would make the 12" PB less attractive.

Usually, the iBook inherited most parts from the previous Powerbook generation (with the exception of built-in Airport, the iBook had that first). Until the TiBook gets major improvements (the 12" and 17" are mostly form factor changes), the iBook won't get that either. A G4 iBook will definately kill 12" PB sales.

Apple can give it a case update, faster Airport and larger hard drives - anything more will affect PB sales.

Stink different.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 25, 2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by stew:
Patriotism means doing good to your own country, not bad to other countries. If soldiers were true patriots, they'd provide their own people with food and shelter instead of taking it from foreigners.
That is the stupidest, most uninformed thing I have ever read.

Be ashamed.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Mar 26, 2003 at 01:41 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules