Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Overvoltage USB?

Overvoltage USB?
dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 01:41 AM

Duing my recent move, I misplaced the correct AC adapter for my AC hub. Upon plugging it in, I got an overcurrent warning on the screen of my iMac. I disconnected the power supply, and now my printer and tablet don't work, in any USB port. The keyboard and mouse, however, do still work, in both ports on the side of the iMac.
Is there any way to test to see if these items are indeed broken, or is there some trick I can perform to breathe life back into them? The printer powers up, and prints from the card slot fine, but isn't recognized by the computer, even after several restarts and reinstalling the driver. The tablet doesn't do anything (Graphire2), doesn't even light up.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 26, 2004, 02:41 AM

Huh?

Are you saying you used the wrong adapter in the USB hub? If not, what are you saying?!

If it was the wrong adapter, you may have fried your gadgets.

However, regardless of whether you did or didn't, the "overcurrent" warning does not refer to the input voltage to the USB hub, but to the current draw of the attached devices. When you attach a USB device, it must report to the hub its power draw before it is allowed to fully power up. If insufficient current is available, an error message is displayed and the device is not allowed to power up. If there is enough current, then the proper drivers are loaded and the device powers up.

tooki

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2004, 06:01 AM

Do the devices work when you plug them directly into the Mac (in place of the keyboard)?

If yes, you need a powered hub - i.e., the correct power adapter.

If not, check with Apple System Profiler (Apple menu --> About this Macintosh --> More info) to see whether the devices show up. If they don't, have them repaired.

-s*

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 11:05 AM

Yeah, I plugged the wrong power adapter into the hub. I also can't get them to show in the profiler, regardless of what port I use.
Would the repair cost of a $99 tablet and a $150 printer be worth it, or just get new one's?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 26, 2004, 01:37 PM

Before you do that, see what happens if you plug them into a different computer.

tooki

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 02:10 PM

I tried that, plugging both into my iBook, they didn't show up there either

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 26, 2004, 04:14 PM

Sounds like fried gadgets.

It's unlikely (but possible) that it's cost-effective to have them fixed.

If the printer has a parallel port, too, you might be able to use it that way.

tooki

dampeoples  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 04:37 PM

No other ports on the printer, although I do have another printer lying around. I suppose all is not lost, the printer still works with CF cards, can't say that much for the tablet though, unfortunately.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
Duing my recent move, I misplaced the correct AC adapter for my AC hub. Upon plugging it in, I got an overcurrent warning on the screen of my iMac. I disconnected the power supply, and now my printer and tablet don't work, in any USB port.
You fried the tablet and printer I/O ports. Just be thankful that you didn't damage your computer's I/O port, too.

By the way, OEM manufacturers (esp. Taiwanese ones) should standardize power plugs to prevent mix-ups from happening. After several such mishaps myself, I now label all my transformers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules