Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > My impressions of the Studio Mouse

My impressions of the Studio Mouse
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2002, 12:51 AM

I just got my Studio Mouse today for Christmas and I have to say I'm impressed. The tracking is great (no problems) and the scroll sensor is a nice thing. It does take a little more pressure than I would have expected (not excessive, though), but that prevents accidental use. The click feel is good and not that much different from my parents' Logitech. One feature I really like is what I'll call "automatic scroll" for lack of a better term. If you hold down on the top or the bottom of the scroll sensor, it will continuously scroll until you let up. Very nice.

Kensington's Mouse Works software is very good, indeed. Clicking a "chord" of both left and right buttons activates the Find feature by default or anything else you want to assign to it. The middle button is similarly programable. While the default is a pop-up app switcher, I programmed mine to command-~ in OmniWeb to quickly switch between windows.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the mouse.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 01:14 AM

So what is up with that base station. Does it charge the unit?

Is it using Bluetooth.

Exactly what do you have to plug into the USB port on your computer? Is the adapter big and clunky?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

coolmac
Dec 26, 2002, 01:43 AM

My sister has the wireless Studio Mouse and there seems to be a bug with the software.
Every once in a while the curser will fly to the top left corner of the monitor and just freeze, this has happened three times to her.
A reboot is needed to get things back to normal.

loh
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2002, 02:04 AM

I agree with your opinion. My girlfriend got me a studio mouse for xmas and it love it so far. Not only does it match my new G4 perfectly, but the shape is good for my small hands, and the buttons feel nice. The scroll sensor works great so far, I set it to very fast so it scrolls more quickly, and the middle button is set to close programs. I dont know why this mouse got so much negative feedback, I guess people were expecting a lot more. I would take it anyday over a big bulky logitech or microsoft. The price may be a little steep but its all good when your not paying

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2002, 02:53 AM

I agree with that last one, loh! In response to Solo's question, I got to corded version, so I can't say what the deal is with the cordless one. Sorry.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2002, 11:24 AM

I just got one (wireless version) for christmas, having trouble with the tracking, I had a logitech wireless mouse before this.

Im finding the Kensington to be a bit "laggy" in the tracking, I seem to be overshooting buttons and such, never had a problem with the logitech

I finally installed the mouseworks software (2.2) off the website and it has some fine-tuning controls, i got it a little better than it was before but still not as precise as the logitech....

is thie normal? anyone else experiencing anything similar? or should I return this?

Thanks!

-Mike

loh
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2002, 01:32 AM

Im using the corded version as well so I wouldnt know. Try the corded version?

Forum Links
Forum Rules