Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Classic in a window?

Classic in a window?
RonnieoftheRose
Aug 11, 2004, 12:18 PM

Is there an app that lets one run OS9 in a window or full screen on top of OSX? Is it even possible to run a full version of OS9 on X or has Apple placed limitations on allowing that? I'm asking because I'd like to see it run full screen with all of its own drivers, desktop, etc. I know not all drivers are available, for Airport Extreme or FW800, etc.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 05:34 PM

Classic is the full version of OS 9. However, drivers or programs that try to directly manipulate the hardware are a no-no as all calls to hardware must go through the hardware virtualization provided by OS X.

AFAIK, there is no way to run OS 9 in either a window or full screen.

yukon
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 02:04 AM

Used to be that way in DP3 (wait, maybe DP2?), and it was taken out of DP4 and integrated. At the time people thought the same thing you do now, wanting it seperate. I believe there was an attempt to do this, there was some kind of hack that got you the old finder....ISTR it was opening classic and replacing the OS X finder with the OS9 one, quitting the finder, and the old one would launch, but it was a bit buggy (it wasn't intended to happen). In the Beta, it was sometimes possible to see squares of the OS9 finder's background, but it was more of a refresh bug of some kind.

as to virtualizaton, that's something that's surprisingly lacking on the mac unfortunatly, the only thing that springs to mind would be MacOnLinux (MOL), which was discussed originally to address your question, i don't believe it was ever ported to OS X unfortunatly (quite a difficult port I'd imagine, more of a rewrite).

My only advice is to concider the options again. Use Classic to the fullest extent possible, reboot into OS9 when you need to, downgrade your OS to MacOS 9 since it might be necessary, or finally buy/repurpose an old machine and install OS 9 on it (you can use networking, use VNC maybe to get Mac-in-a-window).
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Forum Links
Forum Rules