Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Barry didn't even NEED the black vote....

Barry didn't even NEED the black vote....
zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 02:02 PM

I got sick of people at work "blaming" the blacks for "causing him to get elected" so I did some quick math....

OBAMA - 63,110,763 Votes
12% of his votes were from Blacks = 7,242,871
THAT LEAVES = 55,867,892 NON-BLACKS

McCAIN - 55,862,654 Votes
5% of his votes were from Blacks = 2,793,132
THAT LEAVES = 53,069,522 NON-BLACKS

OBAMA still wins by 2,798,370 NON-BLACK VOTERS

*Current totals as of 10/5/2008 12:50pm

Is my thinking way off or can I post this into a reply all? haha thanks!

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 02:11 PM

Popular vote is pretty irrelevant. You'd have to do it state by state.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 02:13 PM

Why do we let those blacks vote anyway? Who's bright idea was that?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Popular vote is pretty irrelevant. You'd have to do it state by state.
I understand that, just illustrating that its not even a significant amount, breaking it down by state would be even stronger as some states would be much higher and some very blue states MUCH lower.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Why do we let those blacks vote anyway? Who's bright idea was that?
And Gays too

I would normally not reply to these freaks, but blaming a small segment of the population for a clear choice OF THE PEOPLE gets me steamed up.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 02:33 PM

Our forefathers would turn in their graves if they knew blacks can now vote.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Our forefathers would turn in their graves if they knew blacks can now vote.
You forgot women.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
I got sick of people at work "blaming" the blacks for "causing him to get elected" so I did some quick math....

OBAMA - 63,110,763 Votes

That's why Jesse and Al will soon be out of a job. On second thought they will spend the next four years pushing for reparations.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 5, 2008, 02:53 PM

OBAMA - 63,110,763 Votes

Your situation assumes black people just didn't vote. What if you assume a few million of those people would have voted for McCain, but voted for Obama just because he was black? That could have turned everything around.

The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2008, 03:00 PM

You can blame "nonwhites" for electing Obama.

John Kerry won 41 percent of the (non-Hispanic — assume “white” = “non-Hispanic white” throughout this discussion) white vote, and Barack Obama improved to 43 percent of the white vote. But the white vote declined from 77 percent of the electorate to 74 percent of the electorate. As a result, 31.57 percent of voters were white people who voted for John Kerry in 2004. In 2008, the tally was very similar — 31.82 percent of voters were white people who voted for Barack Obama.

The big difference is that Obama increased the share of the black vote from 11 percent to 13 percent, increased the share of the “other” vote from 2 percent to 3 percent, grew his share of the black vote by seven percentage points, grew his share of the Hispanic vote by 13 (!) percentage points, grew his share of the Asian vote by five percentage points, and grew his share of the “other” vote by 11 percentage points. Consequently, while just 16.12 percent of 2004 voters were non-white for Kerry, fully 20.15 percent of 2008 voters were non-white for Obama. That 4.03 percentage point increase was the difference maker. McCain, despite the collapse in GOP party identification, despite Bush’s unpopularity, despite the economic crisis, held his own among white people. But he got slaughtered by a much bigger margin among non-whites, and his white base shrunk.
Thank god.

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Your situation assumes black people just didn't vote. What if you assume a few million of those people would have voted for McCain, but voted for Obama just because he was black? That could have turned everything around.
Wouldn't you also then have to account for those who voted for McCain because he's white?

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Wouldn't you also then have to account for those who voted for McCain because he's white?
Yes, you'd have to include just the opposite and that would still put Obama in the lead.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 03:28 PM

Yes, you'd have to include just the opposite and that would still put Obama in the lead.
Well, we don't know that, and there's really no way of knowing for sure - especially state-by-state. My point was that we don't, and can't, know. It's not cut and dried either way.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 03:56 PM

Anyone who thinks that a person can be elected to the Presidency of the United States on the strength of the black vote alone is a mathematical idiot. Simple as that.

The fact of the matter is that Obama expanded the electorate and put together a winning coalition composed of a variety of demographics that crossed ethnic, gender, and age classifications. Anyone who can't see that is just woefully, and perhaps willfully, ignorant.

OAW

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 10:56 PM

I'm glad to see that now racism is officially dead.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2008, 11:54 PM

Ageism More Prevalent Than Racism Among Presidential Voters, Study Finds

ScienceDaily (Nov. 2, 2008) — An ongoing study by UCLA and Stanford University researchers of 20,000 registered voters has found that far more of them would vote against Sen. John McCain because of his age than would vote against Sen. Barack Obama because of his race.
Interesting, yet not surprising. Ageism has roots in genuine medical concerns, while racism is based on irrational fears.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2008, 12:21 AM

I wonder how much sexism was a factor as well.

After all, we saw Hillary Clinton find the glass ceiling in the Democrat primary, and we saw how Democrats treated Sarah Palin (It's a Girl - salon.com, caribou barbie, etc.) - perhaps sexism is a bigger problem than racism among Democrats?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I'm glad to see that now racism is officially dead.
But did it kill reverse-racism, too

-t

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2008, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
After all, we saw Hillary Clinton find the glass ceiling in the Democrat primary
No. We saw her get beat by a better candidate. That seems to have worked out OK for the Democrats.

and we saw how Democrats treated Sarah Palin (It's a Girl - salon.com, caribou barbie, etc.) - perhaps sexism is a bigger problem than racism among Democrats?
Uh huh - and there were no mocking names for Obama based on some real or imagined characteristic? Do we have to pull out besson's list? Whether you agree or not, many people saw Palin as unqualified - not because she's female, but because she lacks the intellect and judgement they expect in a president. That's not sexism. Sexism is claiming she's unqualified because she's a woman.

Not to mention, many people also thought that the Republicans chose Palin because they thought she would bring them the votes of the women who voted for Hillary, simply because Palin is a woman. If true, that's sexist pandering on the Republicans' part. Perhaps conservatives aren't ready for a woman to gain office on her own merit?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
I wonder how much sexism was a factor as well.

After all, we saw Hillary Clinton find the glass ceiling in the Democrat primary, and we saw how Democrats treated Sarah Palin (It's a Girl - salon.com, caribou barbie, etc.) - perhaps sexism is a bigger problem than racism among Democrats?
Hilary got beaten by a better candidate, and Palin got beat down on her own incompetence and extremism rather than her sex.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2008, 05:15 AM

I was not a supporter of either Hillary or Palin, but to say there was not at least an undercurrent of sexism in play in these contests is naive. Of course, we had subtle racism and overt ageism in play as well.

God Bless America.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
You forgot women.
"Do you remember a time when women couldn't vote and certain folk weren't allowed on golf courses? Petridge Farm remembers."

Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules