Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Police Brutality

Police Brutality
subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2012, 09:02 PM

Police Brutality - Handled the Way It Should Be - YouTube

Strikes me that the best way to deal with this would have been to say "stop or we'll taze you", and if he didn't stop, taze him.

To be clear, I think it's basic common sense that someone will resist if being beaten, therefore beating someone is not an ideal means with which to stop resistance.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2012, 09:06 PM

Do we know for sure this was police, and not just private security ?

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2012, 09:14 PM

Oh FFS...

Work with me.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2012, 11:44 PM

It appears that something needs to be done about the stadium security. Maybe call the police?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2012, 11:48 PM

An ambulance.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2012, 12:31 AM

Don't call the police. Call one of those, "We don't make money unless you make money" lawyers. Money is the language of business. Their insurance carrier will force them through all kind of hoops and training etc so their premiums don't explode. Even if you don't win.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2012, 01:07 AM

I don't need to watch the video to know that the authorities are correct and the member of the public is wrong.
The public so are hopped up on choo choo juice they don't know their own names.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2012, 06:07 AM

I don't know where that video was shot but in the UK, the guys around the stadia who look like police are police. The clubs have to subsidise the costs and they do have their own people as well (though typically not with any kind of truncheons) but there are always real police officers in and around the grounds on matchdays. Don't know about other countries.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
I don't need to watch the video to know that the authorities are correct and the member of the public is wrong.
The public so are hopped up on choo choo juice they don't know their own names.
Maybe you do need to watch it. Nobody had a problem until the scrawny pitch invader with 5 cops/security guys sat on top of him was getting repeatedly jabbed by one of them with a baton. Completely unnecessary.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I don't know where that video was shot but in the UK, the guys around the stadia who look like police are police. The clubs have to subsidise the costs and they do have their own people as well (though typically not with any kind of truncheons) but there are always real police officers in and around the grounds on matchdays. Don't know about other countries.
At the basketball games I used to go to, the security guys were all moonlighting off-duty cops.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2012, 07:33 AM

Sign Dude (60 kilos soaking wet?) did not require FOUR big footballers to tackle him, hold him down, and have at least one hammer him with a night stick in the ribs maybe 10 times. Any one of those thugs could have laid the guy down, cuffed him, and walked him off in a third of the time it took for them to outrage the crowd.

Nowhere in the video did I see any other uniformed presence coming to "restore order." Which could mean the real police figured they'd mop things up after the crowd got done, or the people on the field were police and their buddies figured they didn't want their own heads to get kicked in. Either way, it is possible (though not at all certain) that stadium security will not be nearly as rough the next time some college kid wants to run across the field with a sign cheering his favorite team.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
At the basketball games I used to go to, the security guys were all moonlighting off-duty cops.
That happens too, but to a lesser extent since I think the cops get overtime or some other perks for pulling stadium duty. Even if its just the best seats in the house.

Forum Links
Forum Rules