Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Steve Jobs has quit.

Steve Jobs has quit. (Page 5)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Tim Cook will never last that long. 3 years max before people start calling for a new CEO.
From the looks of it, it hasn't taken even quite 48 hours, so I'll agree with you.

Apple won't (and shoudn't) care.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Is your glass always 110% empty ?

-t
You do realize you're talking to the person who admitted to crying in public after Steve Jobs resigned, correct?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2011, 08:29 AM

Apple has $75 billion to play with. That should be more than enough to clone Steve.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2011, 09:43 AM

You wait until the new spaceship is finished and it takes off carrying Steve and a few chosen faithful with him to the stars! Then we'll miss him.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2011, 10:42 AM

I find it curious that Jonathan Ive's name was repeatedly brought up when people talked about Apple's CEO transition plan. Personally, I have never considered him to be someone even remotely in the running for the CEO position.

Ive is the type of guy I'd want doing his thing well like he always does. I wouldn't want to take him away from what he does best. Furthermore, it didn't strike me that he was a guy that wanted that CEO position anyway.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2011, 11:19 AM

Maybe not CEO but he would be a good candidate to be the guy who says yes or no on the final design decisions.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Maybe not CEO but he would be a good candidate to be the guy who says yes or no on the final design decisions.
Who says it won't be like that ?

If Cook is as smart as people say, he will recognize that he has to rely on the other members of the team.

-t

OreoCookie
Aug 27, 2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I find it curious that Jonathan Ive's name was repeatedly brought up when people talked about Apple's CEO transition plan. Personally, I have never considered him to be someone even remotely in the running for the CEO position.
No, and I doubt Ive sees it differently: I'm sure he is content doing what he does and has no inclination to become CEO.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Who says it won't be like that ?

Not me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
That's what I'm hoping.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2011, 07:40 PM

Steve looking really gaunt.

Gaunt and frail, cancer battle takes its toll on Steve Jobs in first picture since he left Apple | Mail Online

Of course, the main photo in the article may be fake.
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Aug 29, 2011 at 01:07 AM. )

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2011, 07:43 PM

This whole thread is getting kinda gay.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2011, 08:10 PM

Did you read the thread? Most likely a fake photo, considering TMZ posted a very similar photo right before the iPad 2 keynote saying Jobs was on his death bed then he was up on stage the next week.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2011, 08:15 PM

Yeah I'm sure he's in bad shape, but I think that photos is a fake.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2011, 08:32 PM

Daily Mail is a main UK paper, one would hope they've checked the authenticity of the photo's in their article.
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Aug 29, 2011 at 01:06 AM. )

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
dude. There is NO reason to make that image inline.

For one, it's a shop job. For another, it's voyeuristic SHIT.

you're giving the ****ing assholes who made it extra credit and justifying their actions.

Edit: thanks for editing out the pic.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Aug 29, 2011 at 01:52 AM. )

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2011, 12:48 AM

One of the pictures on that site is a frail steve jobs getting into a Honda Civic... I find it very unlikely for that to have happened even once since 1980.

Oh wait, it's a Civic EX, I take it back!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2011, 12:51 AM

And an Audi too. Steve is a Merc man forever.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
And an Audi too. Steve is a Merc man forever.
But even the "maybe he's getting in someone else's car" idea falls apart when that car is a civic. I doubt jobs knows anyone who owns a civic. An insight, sure, but a civic?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2011, 12:54 AM

So true. Especially a 1996 Civic at that.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post

For one, it's a shop job. For another, it's voyeuristic SHIT.

you're giving the ****ing assholes who made it extra credit and justifying their actions.

In his defense, that article does not say that the photo was invasive paparazzi type stuff that was taken without his permission, we just happen to know that because the source of that photo seems to be TMZ.

It's odd that this news publication would use a photo from this source.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2011, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It's odd that this news publication would use a photo from this source.
Uh, The Daily Fail would probably use it if it were drawn by hand by a 6-year old.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 01:12 AM

Uh, The Daily Fail would probably use it if it were drawn by hand by a 6-year old.

Could be, I didn't mean to suggesting being surprised by them specifically, but that anyone would use it. I should have said that...

freudling
Banned
Aug 29, 2011, 01:24 AM

I looked into the photo. Mac Rumours has a long thread on it. Long story short: the thread, in the end, has concluded that the photo is real, but it looks slightly fake in digital. The print version looks more real. There is separation between his top and under pants in print for instance, but it looks like a dress in digital because it all flows together as pixels compressed. Additionally, the shorts drape over him and hang loose because he is so skinny.

It was also concluded that the photo was taken by paparazzi through a car window, so a spy shot. The gentlemen with Steve was helping him out of the vehicle presumably.

If indeed the photo is real, and was in fact taken just days ago, it's pretty obvious how all of this is going to end, and quickly.

I feel for Steve. The only reason I even condone publishing this photo is because of how much BS Apple feeds the media to manipulate its stock. I believe the WSJ reported that Apple said Steve worked a full day the day he resigned. Ya, my ass he did. Shareholders have a right to know the truth here. If Jobs is dead, then he's not involved in the company anymore.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2011, 01:47 AM

Ya, my ass he did. Shareholders have a right to know the truth here. If Jobs is dead, then he's not involved in the company anymore.
I see no reason to believe he didn't work a full day. I've known people on chemo who worked 40 hour weeks.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

freudling
Banned
Aug 29, 2011, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
I see no reason to believe he didn't work a full day. I've known people on chemo who worked 40 hour weeks.
Don, seriously... The man has days to live. He can't walk by himself. The only reason he's even alive right now is because he's got the best medical team in the world looking after him. He's a walking corpse. Ya, I could be wrong... We'll see.

If in fact I'm right, he must be terminal. The cancer spread to his vital organs. I wonder if this medical team will be so bold to put him on life support and transplant regrown organs from his own stem cells.

In the event that he dies, I also wonder if Jobs will be frozen in a cryonics chamber at Alcor?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2011, 02:37 AM

Don, seriously... The man has days to live. He can't walk by himself. The only reason he's even alive right now is because he's got the best medical team in the world looking after him. He's a walking corpse. Ya, I could be wrong... We'll see.
Unless you have some inside information you're not sharing with the rest of us, you have no idea what his health is like.

That said, as above, I've known people undergoing chemo, or with serious illnesses, who continue to work full some. Some of them love their jobs. Some of them find that working helps not to focus on the illness. For some it's both. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if Jobs worked right up until the day he dies, whenever that is.

freudling
Banned
Aug 29, 2011, 03:03 AM

Unless you have some inside information you're not sharing with the rest of us, you have no idea what his health is like.

That said, as above, I've known people undergoing chemo, or with serious illnesses, who continue to work full some. Some of them love their jobs. Some of them find that working helps not to focus on the illness. For some it's both. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if Jobs worked right up until the day he dies, whenever that is.
Dude go and read the reports. They are out there. As much as we all have to be speculative about the media, Jobs has been housebound for weeks, his illness worsened. The evidence of the photo is that it is real. Apple has likely been all over TMZ about taking it down to protect their precious stock. The fact that it's still up should be telling: it's real from a paparazzi and there's nothing Apple can do about it.

The other is going with the party line: Jobs will continue as Chairman, making key decisions in the company, as well, he worked a full day the day he resigned. Everything is good.

I'm predicting he'll no longer be with us within 2 weeks. I don't want him to go. And of course I could be wrong. The stock will drop $50 and then correct itself in the ensuing months.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 04:50 AM

If Steve thought his demise were imminent, I doubt he would have indicated he plans to stay on as chairman. I hope you're wrong, freudling, but you could be correct. As for the stock going down $50, I think you're wrong about that. Steve's departure has already been priced into the stock.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
If Steve thought his demise were imminent, I doubt he would have indicated he plans to stay on as chairman. I hope you're wrong, freudling, but you could be correct. As for the stock going down $50, I think you're wrong about that. Steve's departure has already been priced into the stock.
Yeah, I was expecting a nice dip of 50-60 pts, maybe pickup 20-30k shares, but it unfortunately held steady.

Steve will be fine, all this talk of his imminent demise has no basis in reality. He's just going to relax a bit and spend more time with family for a while.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 08:13 AM

Dude go and read the reports. They are out there. As much as we all have to be speculative about the media, Jobs has been housebound for weeks, his illness worsened. The evidence of the photo is that it is real. Apple has likely been all over TMZ about taking it down to protect their precious stock. The fact that it's still up should be telling: it's real from a paparazzi and there's nothing Apple can do about it.

The other is going with the party line: Jobs will continue as Chairman, making key decisions in the company, as well, he worked a full day the day he resigned. Everything is good.

I'm predicting he'll no longer be with us within 2 weeks. I don't want him to go. And of course I could be wrong. The stock will drop $50 and then correct itself in the ensuing months.
Fake photos are fake. What a shock. He's probably sitting at home eating breakfast and laughing about this. I would.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Yeah, I was expecting a nice dip of 50-60 pts, maybe pickup 20-30k shares, but it unfortunately held steady.

Steve will be fine, all this talk of his imminent demise has no basis in reality. He's just going to relax a bit and spend more time with family for a while.
20 to 30,000 shares. Of AAPL. Wow bro, you're that wealthy? My hat is off to you. Can I manage a nice fraction of your millions for you?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2011, 08:49 AM

"Yeah, I was hoping to pick up $8 million of Apple stock if they dipped a little, maybe make a few...unfortunately it did not so I just posted about it on MacNN instead."
ALL IN GOOD FUN

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 08:52 AM

20 to 30,000 shares. Of AAPL. Wow bro, you're that wealthy? My hat is off to you. Can I manage a nice fraction of your millions for you?
I've done pretty well, sold that business and had a few really good property deals. We're well into 8 figures.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
"Yeah, I was hoping to pick up $8 million of Apple stock if they dipped a little, maybe make a few...unfortunately it did not so I just posted about it on MacNN instead."
ALL IN GOOD FUN
Bah, I've decided that it's not something to be embarrassed about. If someone is offended by me talking about it then that's their problem, not mine.
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2011, 09:02 AM

This.

The Daily Mail is an absolute sh*t-rag.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2011, 09:24 AM

Bah, I've decided that it's not something to be embarrassed about. If someone is offended by me talking about it then that's their problem, not mine.
ALL IN GOOD FUN

Plus if I had that kind of money I would pay to find MacNN members and send them a benjamin just to prove how awesome I was.
ALL IN GOOD FUN

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2011, 10:37 AM

Ha ha, I was hoping it'd drop enough so I could put the rest of my savings into 2 or 3 shares.
This.

andi*pandi
Aug 29, 2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
You wait until the new spaceship is finished and it takes off carrying Steve and a few chosen faithful with him to the stars! Then we'll miss him.
+infinity!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
+infinity!
And beyond!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Meh. If we knew it was real, then I wouldn't have a huge problem with it, esp. considering we're going to link to it anyway.

Fake photos are fake. What a shock. He's probably sitting at home eating breakfast and laughing about this. I would.

I hate those "analyses". Every single Apple spy-pic gets analyzed the same way, and they always come to the conclusion it's fake, even when it turns out to be real.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 29, 2011, 12:39 PM

20 to 30,000 shares. Of AAPL. Wow bro, you're that wealthy?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2011, 12:42 PM

Reading this thread has reminded me of one of the things I sometimes forget about the forums: when it comes to technical problems and computer issues, many of you are very helpful. When it comes to wider discussions--politics, religion, current events--some of you are have no idea what you're talking about.
( Last edited by Don Pickett; Aug 29, 2011 at 04:28 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2011, 12:58 PM

Reading this thread has reminded me of one of the things I sometimes forget about the forums: when it comes to technical problems and computer issues, many of you are very helpful. When it comes to wider discussions--politics, religion, current events--some of you are have no idea what you're talking about.
It's occurred to me you might want to quote more than one person when making a statement such as this.
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Aug 29, 2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: synergy)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2011, 01:01 PM

I don't think multi-quote goes that high

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2011, 01:20 PM

Heh, I had exactly the same sentiment (mild disappointment that it didn't drop more). Course, I was thinking more in the neighborhood of 200-300 shares. Funny how worlds can be so similar yet so different.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2011, 01:42 PM

Actually guys, when Shaddim said "20-30k shares", he actually meant he was thinking about picking up about 80 or so shares. That's really as much as he could reasonably afford. But, if circumstances changed, he was prepared to purchase up to a maximum of 30,000 shares.

Hope that's cleared things up

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 02:13 PM

Is that really what Shaddim meant? That sounds very different from the way he was portraying things so I'm curious as to why you'd try to clarify in that fashion, but it's no business of mine either way.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2011, 02:39 PM

ALL IN GOOD FUN

srsly

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2011, 03:12 PM

Keep on topic boys.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules