Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to usa a NEW monitor on a PM7100

How to usa a NEW monitor on a PM7100
bosolevu
Feb 4, 2001, 07:47 PM

I would like to use a 17" pc monitor on my PM7100. What would I need to make that possible? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Allah
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2001, 08:24 PM

Looks like you can just plug it in. first I would set my monitor (before switching) to 640x480 @60kHz. Then shutdown and make the switch. You will probably need more vram to display more colours and higher resolutions.

Good luck and Happy Mac!
Carp� Bandwidth

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2001, 05:41 AM

Please be more specific. What brand of monitor? Will it be used or new? Are you using the strange Apple video donggle cable or are you lucky enough to have a special video card in the extra slot that is on the 7100s?

bosolevu  (op)
Feb 5, 2001, 06:54 AM

I plan to use a generic PC monitor since they are so cheap. It will be hooked up to the video card in the extra slot of the 7100.

bosolevu  (op)
Feb 5, 2001, 07:00 AM

I plan to purchase a new monitor to use with the 7100.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2001, 02:56 PM

You will need a converter to convert the apple signal to VGA. Should be able to find them around.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2001, 07:13 PM

Or better yet, purchase a reasonable quality monitor and the manufacturer may provide you with the adapter specifically for that monitor. IN particular, Sony always packages an adapter, also known as a donggle, with their monitors. If you don't get a donggle with the monitor you will have to purchase one from a vendor that knows Mac.

nubus diehard
Feb 15, 2001, 12:30 AM

I got a pretty neat adapter from a company called Griffin Technologies that let me run my Apple multi-scan monitor at 1024x768 from my PDS video card (on a 7100/66). For some reason you need an adapter for that resolution, weird huh?

They seem to have every conceivable kind of adapter and gave me good support before and after the sale. They also have a big database of monitor info at their site. Or if you're lucky enough to have any Mac retailers left in your area they should have these in stock.

WillyB
Mar 3, 2001, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by nubus diehard:
I got a pretty neat adapter from a company called Griffin Technologies that let me run my Apple multi-scan monitor at 1024x768 from my PDS video card (on a 7100/66). For some reason you need an adapter for that resolution, weird huh?

They seem to have every conceivable kind of adapter and gave me good support before and after the sale. They also have a big database of monitor info at their site. Or if you're lucky enough to have any Mac retailers left in your area they should have these in stock.
Here is the link... http://www.griffintechnology.com/

~Bill
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

bosolevu  (op)
Mar 5, 2001, 01:47 AM

thanks for all the info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules