Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multiple OS'

Multiple OS'
pb565
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2001, 12:01 PM

I would like to have both 9.1 and X. Is having a multiple OS setup as simple as seting a different startup disk and rebooting? Thanks in advance.

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2001, 01:21 PM

Provided that you have partitioned your hard drive and installed the operating systems on different partitions then the answer to your question is yes, all you have to switch the startup disk in the controll panel.I'm not sure how the OSX and OS9.1 classic will look in the final release but you will have both residing on the same disk.

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2001, 02:43 PM

Even in the beta you can have OS 9 and OS X on the same disk without partitioning (it must be an HFS+ volume, however). And you have it right, all you have to do is select the startup "disk" since both OS 9 and OS X on the same volume still show up as separate System Disks in the System Disk application. Makes it very easy to switch. Having a whole separate hard drive with OS 9.1 on it would not be a bad idea if you are going to be an early user of OS X. Since so much under-the-hood OS stuff has been in flux in OS X until just the last day or so the engineers at Norton and Micromat et. all have not been able to really make much progress writing the tools to fix it when it breaks. Don't expect really robust repair utilities till this summer (is my guess) and it would be a VERY good idea to have 9.1 on a whole different drive (and good backups, obviously).

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2001, 10:45 AM

Well, I tried here in preparation for OS X 1.0 and I had multiple drives and volumes - which worked before using a mix of SCSI and IDE drives, with the "Classic" and "OS X PB" volumes on SCSI and my working OS and other volumes on another drive.

This time I had 5 volumes:
Mac OS X PB 4.5GB
Mac OS Classic 1GB
Mac OS 9.1 3GB
Scratch 256MB
Storage 8GB

So all the bootable volumes are in the first 8GB.

But with this setup the Startup Disk System Disk in OS X PB crashes each and every time it scans when opened to look for systems.

the only thing I can think of different are:

I had Adaptec 2930CU (retail) for SCSI and 4.5GB drive using Drive Setup 1.9.2

Now, Adaptec Apple OEM 2940U2B + Atlas 10k-2 using Silverlining Pro 6.4

Needless to say, I erased the Classic and PB volumes and waiting for final. I hope that I don't have to change the driver, and APS said that their information was that OS X will use its own driver, so I don't need to be concerned with changing driver.

Gregory

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2001, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by pb565:
I would like to have both 9.1 and X. Is having a multiple OS setup as simple as seting a different startup disk and rebooting? Thanks in advance.
It is as simple as you stated it...You can have the two OS's on the same hard drive and would simply go to the control panels and select the OS that you want as the start up... OS 9 installs a control panel that is called start-up disk (which allows you to select the correct system), and currently, OS X has a control panel for OS 9 called "system disk". either one allows you to choose your start-up system. You can also hold down the option key at start-up and that will bring up a selection for your start-up system.
I have use both multiple partition set-ups (9 on one partition and X on another) and am currently using just one partition for both OS's. I think I will leave it as one partition...
dave

Cipher13
Mar 7, 2001, 02:36 PM

I suggest you replace Startup Disk with System Disk.
The functionality of the second far exceeds teh first and the first becomes obsolete.
Personally I just set it to boot to 9, and use the boot manager (Option at startup) if I want to go into OSX.

I have 2 partitions, each 5 gigs - one has OS 9.1, and the other has OS 9.04 and OSX.
9.1 on the main partition is used for Classic under 4K73 - nothing touches my emergency backup partition (9.04).

Its as simple as using the System Disk or option-boot to switch them.
No probs.

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules