Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quadra 610 into web server

Quadra 610 into web server
Tristrami
Senior User
Mar 7, 2001, 11:37 AM

Anyone know the best way to turn a chipped Quadra 610 into a web server? I know it can be done. Are there wesites I should check? Is there a software package that's best? What other things should I know befroe emabrking on this endeavor? Thanks.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2001, 11:55 AM

What OS are you running on it? I believe starting with OS 8.0, Apple started bundling in web sharing, which is a fairly decent program, obviously depending on what you are looking to host... but I have friend who host personal web pages that works out just fine...
dave

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2001, 12:02 PM

Hi there... Maccentral has some great articles on running your own webserver,,, here is a good place to start your reading... http://maccentral.com.macworld.com/n.../05.hart.shtml . And it does state the OS8 was when apple started bundling Personal websharing. There is a whole series of articles on this and list a lot of different options...
dave

Tristrami  (op)
Senior User
Mar 7, 2001, 12:08 PM

I have 7.6.1 on it currently, but I do own 8.0--thanks for the tips. I'll start reading!

Tristrami  (op)
Senior User
Mar 7, 2001, 12:09 PM

Link didn't work...can you repost?

------------------
PM 5400/G3 400
Performa 6116CD

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2001, 12:15 PM

sorry... here goes... http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/9904/05.hart.shtml
I think you can find OS8.1 for around $20 if you do a search on-line.. if I see it I'll send you a link...
dave
best of luck... I think you'll be pleased with the personal web sharing... unless you're trying to run an ecommerce site :-)

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2001, 04:16 PM

How much ram does it have?

See if you can get some flavor of un*x running on it. It'll take better advantage of the processor by not using a GUI and dedicating more power to serving web pages.

I once used an LCII as a web server running quid quo pro, and it was extremely slow/unstable. Your machine is quite a bit faster though, so its worth a try.

Forum Links
Forum Rules