Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Worst way to die?

Worst way to die? (Page 2)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2008, 06:28 PM

Drowning, beheading, planecrash, murdered, being eaten by something.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Drowning, beheading, planecrash, murdered, being eaten by something.
All at the same time?

I think that beheading would be quite painless (unless it is done with a blunt knife) - you would only feel for a few seconds. The interesting point that brings up then is what are you at that point? Would you feel the pain in your neck, and in your... other neck?
( Last edited by calverson; Sep 17, 2008 at 06:40 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
Are you talking about this?

What I gathered from the story, that was whom the protester was attempting to emulate.

The person from the story considered himself to be a "Buddhist monk", and was wearing the garb, but Penn noted he was a privileged, white, college kid from Massachusetts type of Buddhist monk.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 18, 2008, 12:01 PM

All at the same time?

I think that beheading would be quite painless (unless it is done with a blunt knife) - you would only feel for a few seconds. The interesting point that brings up then is what are you at that point? Would you feel the pain in your neck, and in your... other neck?
I'd assume your consciousness would remain in your head - you'd see your head falling and rolling off, and feel the pain in the upper half of your neck.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'd assume your consciousness would remain in your head - you'd see your head falling and rolling off, and feel the pain in the upper half of your neck.
Unfortunately, there is no way to test this. Interesting concept, though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 18, 2008, 01:03 PM

Unfortunately, there is no way to test this. Interesting concept, though.
Oh I'm sure you could monitor pain receptors in the brain of someone being beheaded. I suppose it'd be possible to feel "ghost-pains" like amputees feel, though.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 01:12 PM

Oh I'm sure you could monitor pain receptors in the brain of someone being beheaded. I suppose it'd be possible to feel "ghost-pains" like amputees feel, though.
Right, but the "conscienceness" of being beheaded, and being besides your body would be hard to measure.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2008, 01:59 PM

Ten minutes give or take. You are not dead or declared dead until your brain is fully dead. Your brain can survive about 10 minutes without oxygen before complete death. If someone hooks you up to a brainwave monitor you will not be declared dead until that monitor flatlines.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Ten minutes give or take. You are not dead or declared dead until your brain is fully dead. Your brain can survive about 10 minutes without oxygen before complete death. If someone hooks you up to a brainwave monitor you will not be declared dead until that monitor flatlines.
I hope that never happens to me, cause just "existing" for ten minutes would not be so cool.

Kinda reminds me of the beheading scene in Apocalypto.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 02:07 PM

I was Googling beheading (trying to come across some scientific data on the subject) and I came across this gem.

Note: I have not clicked any of the links that are on the site yet... So I am not sure of the content.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2008, 02:11 PM

Out of coincidence, I stumbled across that site when doing anatomy. Even though gruesome, it shows actual pictures/video. Educational in its own light.

edit:
I would not recommend clicking on the videos on top.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2008, 02:18 PM

I hope that never happens to me, cause just "existing" for ten minutes would not be so cool.
Luckily for me, I have a very low tolerance for pain and will just pass out. This happened when I got in my bike wreck and when the dentist decided to shove a needle two inches into my gums. "Slight pinch" my ass.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 02:38 PM

Luckily for me, I have a very low tolerance for pain and will just pass out. This happened when I got in my bike wreck and when the dentist decided to shove a needle two inches into my gums. "Slight pinch" my ass.
Did you feel like an electric shock in your mouth when he did that?

If you did he just shove a needle into the nerve and you will be in pain for about 3 to 6 months.

It happened to me and the pain lasted 4 months.

Good luck, I truly sympathise with you. But, there are good dentists out there. I've got one right now, when she did 7 fillings last time I did not feel a thing because I told her that it was difficult to freeze me and that I had a low tolerance to pain.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 02:39 PM

the Dutch have their own ways of punishing political assassins :

The magistrates sentenced that the right hand of Gérard should be burned off with a red-hot iron, that his flesh should be torn from his bones with pincers in six different places, that he should be quartered and disemboweled alive, that his heart should be torn from his bosom and flung in his face, and that, finally, his head should be taken off.[1]
In the first night of his imprisonment Balthasar Gérard was hung on a pole and lashed with a whip. After that his wounds were smeared with honey and a goat was brought to lick the honey off Gérard's bruised skin with his sharp tongue. The goat however refused to touch the body of the sentenced. After this and other tortures he was left the night with his hands and feet bound together, as a ball, so he couldn't sleep. During the following three days, he was repeatedly mocked and hung on the pole with his hands tied behind his back. Then a weight of 300 pounds (136 kg) was attached to each of his big toes for half an hour.
After this half hour Gérard was fitted with shoes made of well-oiled, raw dog's leather; the shoes were two fingers shorter than his feet. In this state he was put before a fire. When the shoes warmed up, they contracted, crushing the feet inside them to stumps. When the shoes were removed, his half-broiled skin was torn off. After his feet were damaged, his armpits were branded. After that he was dressed in a shirt soaked in alcohol. Then burning bacon fat was poured over him and sharp nails were stuck between the flesh and the nails of his hands and feet. Gérard is said to have remained calm during his torture.
He was finally executed in accordance with his sentence.[2]
from wikipedia, bathasar gerards
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
Did you feel like an electric shock in your mouth when he did that?

If you did he just shove a needle into the nerve and you will be in pain for about 3 to 6 months.

It happened to me and the pain lasted 4 months.

Good luck, I truly sympathise with you. But, there are good dentists out there. I've got one right now, when she did 7 fillings last time I did not feel a thing because I told her that it was difficult to freeze me and that I had a low tolerance to pain.
No, that was nearly a year ago and it didn't hurt at all right afterwards, just during.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
the Dutch have their own ways of punishing political assassins
Ouch.

On another note:

The cause of death.
Beheading is as humane as any modern method of execution if carried out correctly and a single blow is sufficient to decapitate the prisoner. Consciousness is probably lost within 2-3 seconds, due to a rapid fall of the “intracranial perfusion of blood" (blood supply to the brain). The person dies from shock and anoxia due to haemorrhage and loss of blood pressure within less than 60 seconds. However, because the muscles and vertebrae of the neck are tough, decapitation may require more than one blow. Death occurs due to separation of the brain and spinal cord, after the transection (cutting through) of the surrounding tissues, together with massive haemorrhage.
It has often been reported that the eyes and mouths of the decapitated have shown signs of movement. It has been calculated that the human brain has enough oxygen stored for metabolism to persist for about 7 seconds after the head is cut off.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 03:25 PM

It has been calculated that the human brain has enough oxygen stored for metabolism to persist for about 7 seconds after the head is cut off.
I would guess that the sensory shock and overload would overpower any conciousness pretty much immediately, so you wouldn't feel a thing after the initial cut.

Doesn't America have a large prison population you could test this sort of thing out on?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2008, 04:42 PM

Guillotine is my preferred way to go, if I were being executed for any reason.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2008, 04:43 PM

"Slight pinch" my ass.
I think you have other problems with your Dentist to worry about.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Doesn't America have a large prison population you could test this sort of thing out on?
I could always petition the Saudi government .

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Guillotine is my preferred way to go, if I were being executed for any reason.
Provided it is quick - a hack 'n slash wouldn't be so nice.

The idea that once could be "alive" for a few seconds afterwards really freaks me out. And what if they mess up somehow, and you don't die?

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 04:49 PM

"Slight pinch" my ass.
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I think you have other problems with your Dentist to worry about.

Not if she is cute.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2008, 05:26 PM

I think olePigeon was referring to another problem of his.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 05:48 PM

No ones mentioned the worst way to go of all...

...death by snoo snoo

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/...h-by-snoo-snoo

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
No ones mentioned the worst way to go of all...

...death by snoo snoo

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/...h-by-snoo-snoo
Eh...it doesn't sound so bad. I'd try it.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 07:01 PM

I asked a friend of mine what would be the worst way to die...

His answer?

A Virgin.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2008, 10:02 PM

I thought of another. You know those spiked coffins they use to put prisoners in to torture them?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2008, 10:14 PM

I would think that dying in the middle of typing a rant on MacNN would be a pretty miserable way to go.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2008, 10:26 PM

Starvation is gotta be right up there. An a long, excruciating death that gets more painful right up to the end.... eek.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2008, 10:43 AM

1- stand on top of a building located on a busy street
2-wrap a iron wire noose around your neck
3-glue your hands to your face
4-jump off the building

when you fall onto the sidewalk it will look like you've ripped your head off with your hands
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
when you fall onto the sidewalk it will look like you've ripped your head off with your hands
Inventive.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2008, 11:52 AM

I saw this in the movie The Extermintor

Being lowered feet first into a industrial meat grinder, slowly.

We had a guy in Glendale commit suicide by jumping head first into a wood chipper a landscaping crew was using at his apartment complex. He was in a long line of people who have ended their lives in such a manner.
45/47

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
We had a guy in Glendale commit suicide by jumping head first into a wood chipper a landscaping crew was using at his apartment complex. He was in a long line of people who have ended their lives in such a manner.

This top of this tower was closed to the public because of the amount of people that jumped off of it.

Seriously, it was like rain.

Forum Links
Forum Rules