Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Has anybody here ditched an internet connection because of the iPhone?

Has anybody here ditched an internet connection because of the iPhone?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2008, 04:56 PM

I might be going to grad school soon and getting my own apartment. Since I have an iPhone and use it very often, I was wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea to NOT pay 30-60 dollars a month on an internet connection and just use the iPhone's connection if I really needed it. I'm going to probably spend a lot of time in the library or around campus using the university wifi connection. Is anyone here in this situation? Since youre already spending 60 bucks a month for your iPhone, why spend another 30-60 for another internet connection?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2008, 04:59 PM

I didn't think it was an option to not have the internet option. Isn't 3G mandatory?
(if I understand your question correctly, that is)
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2008, 05:08 PM

I think you're misunderstanding him. I take it to mean he's thinking of only using the iPhone for internet access.

That said, the iPhone's internet connection is only as good as the wireless, 3G, or Edge signal it can find. Not to mention the screen is crazy-small for day-to-day browsing -- and most Flash sites still don't work.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2008, 05:12 PM

Gotcha.

yes, I wouldn't want to rely upon the small screen either.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2008, 07:29 PM

Even if you can tether, I find it too unreliable to um... errr... rely... on the iPhone for all my internet needs.

You could save a few bux by getting a lower speed wired broadband connection. Stable 512 Kbps would be more pleasant than wildly variable 3G.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2008, 08:11 PM

If you're happy only ever accessing the Internet via MobileSafari and MobileMail, I guess. You can't tether the iPhone AFAIK.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2008, 08:19 PM

You can tether two ways:

1) Jailbreak
2) Using that tethering app that was on iTunes for a while. I think it still works if you have it, but I could be mistaken.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2008, 08:23 PM

If all you need to do is check your mail and some stocks, or the weather, and maybe some Digg headlines through mobile-friendly sites which load quickly, then I don't see what I would be missing out on. I still would have my Mac for playing games... offline..... damn that would suck

misc
Oct 22, 2008, 10:26 PM

You may be able to find some open wireless networks from your apartment.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Saetre
Senior User
Oct 23, 2008, 11:14 AM

It's not an iPhone, but I do use my 3G mobile phone for internet at my home. It's good enough for online banking, email and looking up information occasionally. Unfortunately tethering is not an option for me, and probably isn't for you too, unless you choose to hack your phone.
Little children are savages. They are paleolithic creatures.
- E. O. Wilson

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 23, 2008, 04:16 PM

I used my 3G Sony Ericsson tethered to my MacBook for 2 weeks when my ISP stuffed up my connection, it was better than nothing but pretty slow.

You won't be getting OS X software updates over 3G, trust me.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2008, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I used my 3G Sony Ericsson tethered to my MacBook for 2 weeks when my ISP stuffed up my connection, it was better than nothing but pretty slow.

You won't be getting OS X software updates over 3G, trust me.
Right, that's when I would bring it to campus and use the university wireless connection

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2008, 05:22 AM

What are you pursuing in grad school, macintologist?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2008, 06:43 AM

I used a 3G phone tethered for 2 months -- we were living in a temporary house and putting in a phone line for net access would have cost £180 apparently.

It was fine speed-wise, although the latency was rather shocking.

I also had it shared round via Airport, and we'd have multiple people using it at once. For browsing/chatting/email/MSN it was fine. (We did have a "no big downloads" rule just in case.)

However, you can't tether the iphone without jailbreaking it. If you're willing to do that, it does work (used that for a bit when on holiday), although the setup is a little fiddly. I wouldn't want to use it as a permanent thing.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What are you pursuing in grad school, macintologist?
Library science

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2008, 09:45 PM

Heck no.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2008, 12:03 PM

The nature of being a student is that of putting off stuff till the last minute, and then scrambling like crazy to get stuff done.

So, at 2 a.m. you're gonna need a fast connection and tethering isn't gonna suit.

You'd be better off thinking about sharing the cost of a fast connection among roommates and neighbors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules