Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New TiBook or used 17" for the same price?

New TiBook or used 17" for the same price?
NeXTLoop
Senior User
Jul 18, 2003, 12:18 AM

I currently have the opportunity to buy a used, stock configuration, 17" for around $2500. It was a demo unit in a store, so I don't know the individual who used it, how it was treated, etc., although it is reportedly in great shape and still has 8 months of warranty left.

Conversely, I can buy a brand-new 15" TiBook at Macmall for $2599 and get an extra 512MB of RAM, a new printer, a carrying case, and MYOB FirstEdge free.

So for all of you who have had both, which would you recommend? I've never bought a used Mac before, always preferring to buy new. That, and the admittedly inferior graphics card in the 17", are my only two reservations. Any thoughts? How big of a deal would a used machine be to you? What about the nVidia vs the ATI? Do the other pros of the AlBook outweigh these cons?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I've bought 6 or so Macs, and never once had such a difficult decision.
( Last edited by NeXTLoop; Jul 18, 2003 at 12:24 AM. )

schmoe
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2003, 02:23 AM

Seeing how most demo models get abused, I personally wouldn't buy one. The extra 512 megs of RAM will really improve performance too. Then again I'd rather have the Ti 15" than the 17" even if they were priced the same... heck I'd pay more for the 15" =)

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2003, 02:35 AM

I'd go for the 15" as well. No hassle, a brand new machine, a free printer, extra ram = no contest.

iohead
Jul 18, 2003, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by NeXTLoop:
I currently have the opportunity to buy a used, stock configuration, 17" for around $2500. It was a demo unit in a store, so I don't know the individual who used it, how it was treated, etc., although it is reportedly in great shape and still has 8 months of warranty left.

Conversely, I can buy a brand-new 15" TiBook at Macmall for $2599 and get an extra 512MB of RAM, a new printer, a carrying case, and MYOB FirstEdge free.

So for all of you who have had both, which would you recommend? I've never bought a used Mac before, always preferring to buy new. That, and the admittedly inferior graphics card in the 17", are my only two reservations. Any thoughts? How big of a deal would a used machine be to you? What about the nVidia vs the ATI? Do the other pros of the AlBook outweigh these cons?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I've bought 6 or so Macs, and never once had such a difficult decision.
"New vs. old" is as much of a personal thing as it is circumstantial. Although I personally would prefer new, the deal on the 17 sounds rather good. If the machine looks good cosmetically, it might be worth it - it's not so much like buying a used car, where the owner would have redlined it all the time, etc. Having 8 months of warranty left over helps - you can (and should, IMO) always get AppleCare.

I have a 17, and I couldn't imagine myself going for a 15 over the 17. If the extra size/weight is not a bother to you - I would recommend the 17. Compare the screens side-by-side, and decide for yourself :-)

Regards

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 07:09 AM

Yeah, the only thing I worry about if I were you is that Demo units get abuse.

Otherwise than that I think I must go for the larger screen .

I just sold my Ti800 and looking for a 17 right now too.

p.s. I can't stand the hinges on the 15"s anymore.

macnnhelpme
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2003, 08:54 AM

usually they will make a good deal on applecare on demo units. If you can get the plan at 50% off, I'd go for the 17"!

NeXTLoop  (op)
Senior User
Jul 18, 2003, 09:39 AM

Like I said, I don't know the exact history of this particular machine. However, a friend got one the exact same way, from the same place, and hasn't had any trouble. And the guy at the store said it was in great shape. The RAM isn't a big deal, as I'd max out the RAM with either machine.

What about the other benefits of the 17", especially in the area of speed? Does the DDR RAM, faster system bus, and ATA 100 vs ATA 66 make much of a difference? Macworld and CNET say there isn't much difference in the two machines' speed. MacAddict says there's as much as a 30-60% increase with the 17".

Obviously, the powerbook being in used condition is really my only other concern. Other than that, I'd jump on the 17" in a heartbeat.

What a decision to make...

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 09:58 AM

Only the system bus makes a real difference, and the two 'Books are about the same speed...you really need to squint to see the 17" speed increases.

schmoe
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2003, 11:44 AM

Apple's PowerBook specs page shows that the raw transfer rates for the 15" and 17" are the same. I guess a 4500 RPM drive can't max out the 66mhz bus.

Forum Links
Forum Rules