Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Software recommendations thread

Software recommendations thread
euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2012, 03:52 PM

I was on my way through the macintoshgarden, when i stumbled over a piece of more or less "ancient" software. It is some kind of utillity that those of us, who experienced the early years of Macintosh, know very well (RAM Doubler, disk doubler anyone?! )
Well, I read through the description of what´s called TurboMem and i was surprised that this app was announced to run natively both under Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X. I downloaded it an gave it a shot on one of my spare system disks initially assuming that the mentioned OS X compatibility was related with the public beta of OS X. But soon after installation i discovered it also runs natively on OS X 10.4 PPC machines. Next point - it really does it´s job. I deinstalled the second 512 MB memory stick and started a bunch of RAM hungry applications (Creative Suite, Office, Google Earth, three browsers and some others.
Normally starting THIS many apps on a 512 MB 10.4 machine causes MASSIVE "beachballing", but not this time. i only once had the beach ball for five to ten seconds. The system really felt snappier in comparison when TurboMem wasn´t running in the background. What also makes it "ancient" is the fact, that the developing company has probably ceased some time ago (the original site is no longer hosted). Only the download from Macintoshgarden is still functional. A link to the garden: Download TurboMem 1.1 - Macintosh Garden

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2012, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I do remember all the fancy "doublers", RAM Doubler, Startup Doubler, Speed Doubler… Definitely, 'doubler' was all the rage back then.

And then there was "Turbo Internet" from the same developer, which gave you an astonishing gain of 3kbps on a 56k modem. I loved my Global Village Teleport USB modem for Mac and its translucent looks !!

soeasedev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2012, 11:16 PM

This sounds very interesting for a new Mac user like me still in high school. Old stuffs like these mentioned above are a little beyond my age.
Anyway, I do look for some really special apps to power my iMac.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2012, 01:58 AM

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2012, 08:32 AM

Sounds too good to be true...the placebo effect in effect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules