Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sony Erisson K700i

Sony Erisson K700i
Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2004, 05:15 PM

Just got this phone to replace my SE T610 on T-Mobile in the U.S. I must say that this phone ROCKS. The reception is MUCH better than the T610 on the same network. Where I had 2-3 bars on the T610, the K700i has full signal. Bluetooth support is much better and faster. Screen is a gift from God himself. Found an AWESOME Tiger theme. There is nothing this phone can't do. I was thinking of a Nokia 6600 but after reading reviews, the K700i won out and I have NOT been disappointed. Java games work perfectly, menu system is improved and faster than T610, battery life seems great with R2L firmware. Calendar works great and syncs perfectly using iSync (in fact, everything syncs great with iSync out of the box). Unbranded and fully unlocked for $369 from MobileBee. I have never owned a better phone! Off to BlueJack a few Nokia users...

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2004, 03:18 PM

Glad you like it. I'm on my third one and am quite happy with it too (though being on my third one isn't such a good thing! ).

If you like the battery life on R2L then you'd love it on a newer revision. My newest one came with R2Y and I get more than double what I got on R2L on the previous phone. The screen is a bit dimmer, however.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 04:17 PM

I really like the phone also it is just much to expensive.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 07:29 PM

Glad you like it, it's a great phone! I also looked at one but settled on the 6600 because of the better quality camera, expandable memory, T-Mobile's capability of replacing it if it dies, and huge availability of awesome Symbian OS software (most importantly, good web browsers like Opera and NetFront).

The S700i is looking might tasty though It has a real CCD and glass lens, and the pictures it takes are surprisingly good. You can see samples on this review: http://www.mobileburn.com/story.jsp?...source=HOMETOP

Enjoy your phone!

Mrjinglesusa  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Glad you like it, it's a great phone! I also looked at one but settled on the 6600 because of the better quality camera, expandable memory, T-Mobile's capability of replacing it if it dies, and huge availability of awesome Symbian OS software (most importantly, good web browsers like Opera and NetFront).

The S700i is looking might tasty though It has a real CCD and glass lens, and the pictures it takes are surprisingly good. You can see samples on this review: http://www.mobileburn.com/story.jsp?...source=HOMETOP

Enjoy your phone!
Yeah, I was SERIOUSLY considering the 6600. The size turned me off as did the looks of it. I don't take many pictures with my phone so the camera quility wasn't really that crucial. The 6600 does win out on software (Series 60!) and expandable memory. All told, it was a close call but the RF reception gave the K700 the edge. They are really both excellent phones IMO.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Yeah, I was SERIOUSLY considering the 6600. The size turned me off as did the looks of it. I don't take many pictures with my phone so the camera quility wasn't really that crucial. The 6600 does win out on software (Series 60!) and expandable memory. All told, it was a close call but the RF reception gave the K700 the edge. They are really both excellent phones IMO.
Yeah it's a little fat But reception is an odd thing to point out, no doubt the K700i is a lot better than previous SE phones, but SE has been struggling with reception for a couple of years now. The 6600 has a great radio, like 95% of Nokias. Easily beats out my old P800, Z600 and T637.

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Nov 8, 2004, 09:32 PM

I've had a
That really small motorola flip (can't remember its name... i'd still be using it if i hadn't put in the dryer by mistake... only thing that broke was the screen :O )
S.E. t68i (work phone i lost)
S.E. Z600 ( now a remote for iTunes when my friends make me DJ at parties )
Moto V600 ( lost it when i was drunk... it got ripped of my neck thingy )
S.E. k700i ( don't like it )

The k700i
Tiny TINY keypad. The keys move around way to much on it.
The camera is just crap. The v600 took some pretty good shots, but this one here is not even good as a toy.

Bluetooth is all this phone has going for it in my opinion. I can't push images from my phone over to my powerbook... It crashes the phone for some reason. But i can browse the phone and send stuff to it and get stuff from it that way.

out of 5 i give it a 3.
If only motorola had giving the v600 good bluetooth protocol (i don't know what its called). Don't get this phone.

On a side note...
Were can you get themes for this phone?
And how are you supposed to be sneaky and take pictures of your friends with out them knowing? It makes shutter sound

Mrjinglesusa  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:

On a side note...
Were can you get themes for this phone?
And how are you supposed to be sneaky and take pictures of your friends with out them knowing? It makes shutter sound
Great tiger theme here:

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic...65457&start=15

scroll down about 2/3 way.

Yeah, the camera shutter is annoying and cannot be turned off - even on my unbranded, unlocked phone.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
S.E. k700i ( don't like it )

The k700i
Tiny TINY keypad. The keys move around way to much on it.
The camera is just crap. The v600 took some pretty good shots, but this one here is not even good as a toy.

Bluetooth is all this phone has going for it in my opinion. I can't push images from my phone over to my powerbook... It crashes the phone for some reason. But i can browse the phone and send stuff to it and get stuff from it that way.

out of 5 i give it a 3.
If only motorola had giving the v600 good bluetooth protocol (i don't know what its called). Don't get this phone.
I have to agree. I've played with a friend's k700i for some time, and I really don't like it much.

Though the video quality is pretty good in a nice, grungy way. The software (at least on my friend's) is pretty buggy too - and the address book still doesn't support street addresses, IIRC.

I opted for the Siemens S65, which from the link above, surprisingly fares quite well against the S700i in the camera dept., especially since the big Sony Ericsson's *considerably* more expensive. The last S65 software rev was a little buggy, too, though, and they've put them all on hold until they're updated to a new firmware...

I'll know more when I've received mine later this week (hopefully).

-s*

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 10:39 PM

Didn't Siemens hold off on their 60-series phones because of some bug that could cause hearing damage? e.g., in the middle of a call, the low-battery alarm could go off and make an extremely loud noise right into the ear.

Oh and I do believe the K700i supports street addresses, but iSync doesn't sync them with it yet.

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I have to agree. I've played with a friend's k700i for some time, and I really don't like it much.

Though the video quality is pretty good in a nice, grungy way. The software (at least on my friend's) is pretty buggy too - and the address book still doesn't support street addresses, IIRC.

I opted for the Siemens S65, which from the link above, surprisingly fares quite well against the S700i in the camera dept., especially since the big Sony Ericsson's *considerably* more expensive. The last S65 software rev was a little buggy, too, though, and they've put them all on hold until they're updated to a new firmware...

I'll know more when I've received mine later this week (hopefully).

-s*

mbryda
Senior User
Nov 8, 2004, 11:37 PM

The 6600 has a great radio, like 95% of Nokias. Easily beats out my old P800, Z600 and T637.
I wouldn't call Nokias radios great. I've owned a lot of phones (Nokia, Motorola, Ericsson, LG, Kyocera, etc) and Nokias have always been mediocre at best.

I've had the best reception ever with my T637, handily beating scores of Nokias, Motorolas, etc. This little phone rocks in the reception dept.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by mbryda:
I wouldn't call Nokias radios great. I've owned a lot of phones (Nokia, Motorola, Ericsson, LG, Kyocera, etc) and Nokias have always been mediocre at best.

I've had the best reception ever with my T637, handily beating scores of Nokias, Motorolas, etc. This little phone rocks in the reception dept.
I would strongly disagree with you, and so would a lot of reviewers in the field. But whatever works for you -- the T637 has the 850 MHz band which, if you're on AT&T or Cingular, would help you get a better signal.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2004, 06:27 PM

Didn't Siemens hold off on their 60-series phones because of some bug that could cause hearing damage? e.g., in the middle of a call, the low-battery alarm could go off and make an extremely loud noise right into the ear.
Yep. That was in Firmware 12 and fixed in FW 14.

This one isn't an official recall, since there's no potential damage, but I've been waiting ten days for my phone because some S65s will apparently crash after the second photo taken with the camera.

FW23 should be out soon now, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules