Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Mail Rules - Can't "move" to IMAP folders?

Apple Mail Rules - Can't "move" to IMAP folders?
darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2005, 11:05 AM

I can't seem tmo get Apple Mail's Rules system to move messages to folders in my IMAP server. It doesn't show them at all. It only lists local folders as choices.

Is this a limitation of Apple Mail?

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 03:55 PM

I have a Mail rule set to move certain messages that are already being sent to my IMAP account to a special folder on that account. I don't know about moving messages from a POP account to the IMAP account, but I don't see why not, as I'm not actually specifying what account the messages are coming from, just where they are to be put, and it works great.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2005, 04:02 PM

What I mean is that I have Apple Mail configured with an IMAP account only, and when I go to Rules to have messages arriving in the IMAP inbox to be moved to different folders also at the IMAP server, the combo box only lets me choose In, Drafts or Sent. It won't display the other folders living on the IMAP server.

This works fine in Firefox.

I have a Mail rule set to move certain messages that are already being sent to my IMAP account to a special folder on that account.
Can you walk me through that? I want to see where what I'm supposed to see in Apple Mail isn't being seen, and figure out why not. I can't select any 'special' folders at all.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 04:14 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem might be since I'm not *too* familiar with IMAP stuff, but this is how I set mine up.

esdesign

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2005, 04:45 PM

How did you get the IMAP in-box to exist inside of Apple Mail's In box? My Main In box IS the IMAP in-box as it's my only account.

You get to see all your folders. I don't for some reason.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 05:05 PM

I don't know, that's just what Mail did, and I presume that's the intended behavior.
esdesign

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Apfhex:
I don't know, that's just what Mail did, and I presume that's the intended behavior.
It could also be they way the IMAP server is set. For example, axentra.net sets it contents directly as a subfolder of the inbox, whereas my website mail, which is also IMAP, has the inbox in the correct position, but the folders are listed last under the Junk folder.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2005, 05:17 PM

Ok, I added my .Mac account for for testing purposes and the In within In experience you've had was duplicated. However, I still couldn't select any of my IMAP synced folders for that IMAP account.

In the combo box where yours come up, all I get is a folder name with the grey arrow on the right, but nothing expands when I hover/click on it as it should when that grey arrow appears.

I tried deleting my Mail folder, deleting prefs and all that to start fresh to get it to do it but...nope. Doesn't work.

Looks like I'm stuck on Thunderbird! Sorry if I called it Firefox by mistake earlier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules