Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Airport broken (well, kinda). The Airport card is OK, but...

iBook Airport broken (well, kinda). The Airport card is OK, but...
euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 04:22 PM

I wanted my new/old iBook 500 MHz dual USB to get wireless. After installing a genuine known-good AirPort card i experienced some strange behaviour. (see this thread for the history of that problem: http://www.appletalker.com/forum/ind...=thread&id=121). The failure is NOT due to the card, because now my known-good Airport from my Tibook is installed and shows the same strange behaviour as the Orinoco one. The iBook is detected by my Tibook, but when using a WiFi sniffer on the iBook a "No WiFi signal" shows up.

So it finally turned out that my ibooks Airport is only able to send a signal, no receiving is possible. Anyone knows how to get Airport working. Maybe an internal antenna plug has come loose or something?!?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 12:11 PM

Seems unlikely that the antenna would go bad. Have you double-checked the Network System Pref to make sure that Airport is turned on? Sometimes the connector on the aiport card needs to be pushed in very firmly??

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 12:42 PM

If you follow up given link, you´d see that the ibook is indeed sending a signal that´s detected by my Tibook. But no incoming WiFi signal is detected from the iBook´s side.

Very strange...

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 05:40 PM

What version of OS X are you running? Have you tried resetting PRAM/NVRAM? Made sure the firewall is off?

Also, make sure you have the latest iBook firmware installed (if there is one?).

euphras  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
What version of OS X are you running? Have you tried resetting PRAM/NVRAM? Made sure the firewall is off?

Also, make sure you have the latest iBook firmware installed (if there is one?).
The latest, 10.4.5. PRAM reset didn´t work either. How do i check for firmware updates? But anyways, i doubt it´s a firmware prob because both the Airport card and the iBook are from 2001. I´m also unable to create an ad hoc network between my Tibook and the iBook. But it´s definetely the iBooks hardware fault, the card works well in my Tibook

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 05:04 PM

Does the antenna connector of your iBook "snap" into the card? It's been a while since I installed an AirPort card but I remember it snapping into place.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 06:18 PM

Sounds like a software configuration issue to me honestly. If it was a hardware issue, it's probably a physically loose/non-existent connection with part of the Airport Card's pins on the connector slot.

I've had problems like this in Windows XP when TCP/IP wasn't configured correctly, and in Linux when my network wasn't configured properly. I'd check your router settings just to be sure.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2006, 02:15 PM

The wire fell out of the connector on mine. $34 to get a new connector installed. Is it possible that this has happened or it's not snapped in all the way?

Forum Links
Forum Rules