Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Switching from iPhone to Blackberry Storm...

Switching from iPhone to Blackberry Storm...
Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2010, 12:49 PM

I've had it with AT&T. Dropped calls, phone not ringing with full bar 3G reception, slow 3G, not being notified of new voicemail until 1-2 hours after it arrives, etc.

We use Verizon for our residential TV (FIOS), internet (FIOS), and phone. So, I'm switching my wireless carrier to Verizon (Quad Package discount) and getting a Blackberry Storm 9550.

My questions:

1)Anything special I need to know about syncing my new Blackberry with my Mac? It appears that Blackberry has a Desktop Mac Syncing client. Anyone with a Mac and Blackberry use this? Does it work well? Is there a better alternative for syncing iCal, Contacts, Mail, Bookmarks, etc.?

2) Any "must have" Blackberry apps I should get? It looks like there are Blackberry versions of almost every app I use regularly on my iPhone: Shazam, Urbanspoon, Pandora, Google Maps, Fandango, Amazon, etc. I plan to download Opera Mini IMMEDIATELY because it appears to be much better than the stock browser.

Thanks for any input. This is my first Blackberry so I am completely new to the system.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2010, 02:29 PM

1) It's good. There's room for improvement in the calendar sync with large calendars. It's better than the 3rd party alternatives. It does calendar/contacts/notes/tasks and media (from iTunes playlists) but not bookmarks or email. Email you'll have to set up in your carrier's BIS interface.

2) OpenTable, Gmail, TiVo. I prefer the current 5.x series browser to Opera Mini.

Mrjinglesusa  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
1) It's good. There's room for improvement in the calendar sync with large calendars. It's better than the 3rd party alternatives. It does calendar/contacts/notes/tasks and media (from iTunes playlists) but not bookmarks or email. Email you'll have to set up in your carrier's BIS interface.

2) OpenTable, Gmail, TiVo. I prefer the current 5.x series browser to Opera Mini.
Thanks for the input. I'll stick with the Blackberry Mac Desktop client rather than paying for a 3rd party alternative. Calendar, contacts, notes, tasks, and iTunes are all I care about syncing to be honest.

I guess I will have to compare browsers for myself because it seems some people like the default browser and others swear by Opera Mini.

Some other apps I am looking to get that were recommended on several Top X Blackberry Lists I read:

BeeTag
Beyond 411
Evernote
Viigo
WeatherEye
Buzzd
Poynt

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2010, 03:56 PM

Mrjinglesusa  (op)
Professional Poster
May 3, 2010, 04:16 PM

Meh. Had this Blackberry Storm2 for a month. Hate it. Just can't get used to the Blackberry OS after using an iPhone for the last 3 years. I used to use iPhone apps throughout the day. Now, I keep looking for something to do with my Blackberry and can't find anything.

Ordered an HTC Droid Incredible - nothing but glowing, positive reviews on this thing all around. Appears to offer a much closer "iPhone-like" user experience than Blackberry.

Damn, I'm addicted to technology....

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2010, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Meh. Had this Blackberry Storm2 for a month. Hate it. Just can't get used to the Blackberry OS after using an iPhone for the last 3 years. I used to use iPhone apps throughout the day. Now, I keep looking for something to do with my Blackberry and can't find anything.
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

However, I can't say I'm surprised. A colleague here at work went through a similar process. He switched from an iPhone 3G to a BB. After he got it I played around with it for a while. Compared to the seamless iPhone OS experience it felt like a hack IMHO. Browsing was an insult to anybody who's ever seen Mobile Safari. And the tiny high-res screen was unusable for most mail/browsing/calendar activity. I told him he'd be back to the iPhone within a few months. As it turned out he switched back to the iPhone after three weeks by buying a new 3GS.

I hope Android works out better for you than the BB.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2010, 09:32 AM

Are there BB apps that come with a Mac desktop version (like the old PalmOS sync via conduit concept)?

Mrjinglesusa  (op)
Professional Poster
May 5, 2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

However, I can't say I'm surprised. A colleague here at work went through a similar process. He switched from an iPhone 3G to a BB. After he got it I played around with it for a while. Compared to the seamless iPhone OS experience it felt like a hack IMHO. Browsing was an insult to anybody who's ever seen Mobile Safari. And the tiny high-res screen was unusable for most mail/browsing/calendar activity. I told him he'd be back to the iPhone within a few months. As it turned out he switched back to the iPhone after three weeks by buying a new 3GS.

I hope Android works out better for you than the BB.
Well, got my HTC Incredible yesterday and it's, well, incredible. WOW. Very "iPhone-like" user experience, but doesn't have some of the downsides of the iPhone. MUCH more customizable for example. Very fast user interface, lots of good apps, very intuitive. I love the different profiles you can set up.

So far, I'm very impressed with the Android platform.

Forum Links
Forum Rules