Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Hello Digital Asset Management Users

Hello Digital Asset Management Users
j45degrees
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 11:57 PM

Does anyone here work in an environment that uses a centralized digital asset management system? Of all the ones that I am investigating I hear good and bad about all of them. Sounds like there is a lot of room for improvement in this area.

outsourced
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2005, 01:25 PM

You're right. There is room for some DAM improvement.

I tried to use DAM Cumulus, but it was too awkward. It also couldn't handle IPTC information correctly. So, I checked out the DAM product from Extensis (Portfolio). It seemed better, but still didn't meet my expectations.

Since then (a few years ago) some other DAM products have appeared, but I haven't been interested in trying them.

If I were to get serious again with another DAM product, I'd look at Portfolio first.

Just my 2-cents worth.
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

j45degrees  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2005, 04:25 PM

thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Baphomet
Jul 28, 2005, 07:00 PM

but where can I get some DAM bait?

siMac
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2005, 01:44 PM

I am in the same situation - looking for a good DAM solution for managing a library of over 300,000 images. The difference is I already have Portfolio and can offer this as advice - stay clear!

What a piece of cr@p! I've always found it clunky, buggy and sloooooow, but the final straw came recently when I contacted Extensis Support about the persistent greying out of all the menu items in Portfolio 6 (French).

'Yes' they said, 'it's a known bug in the French version of Portfolio 6. We have two solutions...'

Oh good, I thought.

'We can either replace your French version of Portfolio with an English version in which this bug doesn't happen...'

Hmmm, that'll be useful then, a foreign language version, perhaps you'd care to offer me the Greek version too?

'...or you can upgrade to Portfolio 7 for the low, low price of $99.95. By the way, development of Portfolio 6 has stopped.'

I see. So anyway, I am still looking for a decent solution. I have a couple of contenders, namely iView Media Pro and possibly Cumulus, plus I just found out today that Graphic Converter (which came with my G5) has cataloguing functions and is lightning fast, so I'll be testing that out too.

In the meantime, I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: while I'm on an Extensis-bashing tangent, stay clear of Suitcase too. Nothing but trouble. Use FontAgentPro. OK, I'm done.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

outsourced
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2005, 04:52 PM

I'll join you on your Extensis bashing campaign. Their Japanese owners have decided to sell of another app that they JUST obtained: Genuine Fractals.

To make matters worse, the new company wants $100 just for a bloody upgrade! At least I could have bought GF from LizardTech for about $50 or $60, but it wasn't yet Tiger or Photoshop CS2 compatible.

Someone should buy Extensis and kill the company. Oh, that sounds like a Microsoft project.

Thanks for reminding me about iView. It IS the only DAM product I've ever used that actually worked. Unfortunately, it's not as scalable as Cumulus or Portfolio.

Perhaps someone will create a product that utilizes the Spotlight technology in OS X Tiger?

outsourced
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2005, 05:01 PM

Aha! Found what I was looking for...another DAM product:

http://www.mediaboardone.com

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2005, 07:45 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules