Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Battery Settlement!

iPod Battery Settlement!
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 12:54 AM

Looks like Apple lost in court about its battery claims. If you have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Gen iPod and its battery went bad you can get $50 Credit, a replacement iPod, or $25.

http://www.appleipodsettlement.com/

I want to know if its a NEW iPod you'll be getting. That would be nice.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2005, 04:48 AM

Very interesting indeed. I'm surprised Apple caved on this one. Doesn't this set a very dangerous precedent that could expose Apple to liability over other claims of reduced battery life? It's not like LiOn batteries last indefinitely. In other words, doesn't this open the door to similar lawsuits against PBs and iBooks? The settlement is limited to 1-3G iPods, but I have to wonder if it would have extended to 4Gs had the suit been filed later on.

This settlement will cost Apple a significant chunk of change. But Interestingly, unlike so many other class action suits, this one will actually provide owners tangible returns. I too have to wonder how Apple makes the determination that some 3G owners will get replacement iPods while others will only get replacement batteries:

A. Benefits for Class Members Who Purchased or Obtained a New Third Generation iPod
If you are a Class Member who purchased or obtained a new Third Generation iPod on or before May 31, 2004:
Apple will extend the one-year limited warranty on that iPod for one additional year solely to cover Battery Failures. If the iPod experiences or has experienced Battery Failure during the one-year extension period, and you submit a valid claim, you have the option of either:

returning the iPod to Apple, which will, in its sole discretion, send you either a battery replacement or a replacement iPod at no charge to you (except for shipping and handling fees applicable under Apple's iPod limited warranty, which will be paid by the Class Member); or
receiving a Store Credit in the amount of $50.00 by mail.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 07:19 AM

It is nice to see they recognise the problem, and even taking in to account the 'floodgates' argument, people have been caught out and should be reimbursed.

A recent holiday showed the problem very clearly for me... we took two iPods on holiday, a g2 10g and a g3 20 gig.

After upgrading from the 10 gig model, I gave it to my mother who has used it daily for over a year now (I used it for 9 or so months) making it about 2 years old, while my 20g is about 8 months old.

I charged my 20 gig model the night before I left, and turned it on at the start of the 2.5 hour flight. At the end of the flight I had 1/8th battery life left! All in all, I think I got 3.5 hours total out of the full charge! This was with just earbuds, no remote, backlight turned off etc.

My mother listened to her (much older and more used iPod) on the flight too, and for 2 hours the next day, and 2 hours the next day... and it still was no way near out of battery when she plugged it in to charge after 4 days!

Obviously my much newer 20 gig has a bit of a problem with it barely holding 3.5 hours charge... It has never been abused, overcharged, or even used that much, and I'd have no guilt in sending it back.

If only I wasn't in the UK :/

Any idea if this policy will stretch across the pond?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 08:44 AM

Not all iPods have crappy battery life. My new 3G 40GB is 18 months old and seems to last about 6 hours. Not great, but not too bad.

My wife's 3G 30GB refurb was getting 2.5 hours after 13 months. Sucks. I'm cashing in. (I replaced the battery and life jumped to 8 hours.)

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2005, 09:39 AM

As you say 1/8 battery. You are only looking at the indicator. That is software based and not acurate all the time. It can jump up and down depending on what the iPod's doing. If your scrolling around, advancing songs, games, it'll think that based on what's going on now, this is how much power you have left if this continued.

Check Apple's knowledge base on battery testing and run the test on a full charge, fully updated and with a test playlist of 4 min average songs. See how long it lasts.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 04:28 PM

I bought a new battery for $25 online and installed it myself. Honestly, $25 on a battery every two years isn't a bad deal. Though I'll gladly take $50 credit from Apple. Any day.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 06:12 PM

I just got the claim form in the mail. My 2nd generation iPod's battery died, but I don't have it any more and I never wrote down the serial number. It sucks because I can't claim anything with out the serial number. Should have saved it

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jun 7, 2005, 12:51 AM

My 1st gen iPod had problems with battery life because it drained too often. I realize batteries don't last for a lifetime. Although, they are marketed that way sometimes. I bought mine in February 2002 and it died in November 2003. Fortunetly I kept it in the box after it died a terrible death. It wasn't until August 2004 when I got the new 4G iPod. Great battery life and no complaints from me.
Still I welcome the $50 to knockoff the price of the iPod Shuffle for my Mom.

So far I have converted 6 people including me to the iPod in my family. Mom will be number 7.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
I just got the claim form in the mail. My 2nd generation iPod's battery died, but I don't have it any more and I never wrote down the serial number. It sucks because I can't claim anything with out the serial number. Should have saved it
If you still have the ipod and can prove that, do you have to provide the battery serial number? We had to replace it. Never occurred to me to write down the battery's number before disposing of it, either.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 06:23 PM

do we have to run any tests to get the credit/battery/new ipod, or is it up to the user on if the battery life is inadequate? i got my form, but my ipod is ok at around 5-6 hours, but if EQ, backlight, and shuffle is on...those numbers do drop dramatically.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by bbales
If you still have the ipod and can prove that, do you have to provide the battery serial number? We had to replace it. Never occurred to me to write down the battery's number before disposing of it, either.
The iPod had the serial number on the back, all iPods do.

The form that they mail you has instructions on how to test your iPod battery. The battery has to last under 4 hours to consider the battery dead.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 12:15 AM

And why AGAIN is this only for US people. I mean, even people outside of the US have bought 1/2/3G iPods. Yeah, I'm really sure!
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

+ spiral +
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2005, 02:26 AM

Does anyone know what i would get if i traded in my 30gb 3G ipod? the iPod photo is the only one in the 30gb flavor and it wouldn't be nice to get downgraded to the 20g. I'm hoping for the photo one, but was wondering if anyone knew for sure. thanks.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jerommeke
And why AGAIN is this only for US people. I mean, even people outside of the US have bought 1/2/3G iPods. Yeah, I'm really sure!
I would assume that only people in the US qualify for the settlement because it was a a class action law suit filed in US court. You would have to file suit in your own country, using your court system.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
It's not like LiOn batteries last indefinitely.
The issue here isn't that the batteries weren't lasting indefinitely, it's that their charge was dropping significantly before a year had passed.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jerommeke
Sometimes these things will spill out to other countries over time. Apple simply may not want to get swamped with claims from around the world all at once.

Take the iBook logic board recall, for example. Started out just covering the original iBooks and slowly expanded to cover the whole G3 line.

Sidenote: there are an awful lotta recalls/settlements at the bottom of Apple's homepage.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 09:16 PM

Has anybody received their settlement yet?

vinster
Senior User
Nov 14, 2005, 09:31 PM

Not yet. They confirmed that they've received my claim but no Apple Store voucher at this time.

damonledet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 03:43 PM

Just wondering. Has anybody received their settlement yet?
Damon Ledet
24in iMac 2.8, ipod 30 gig
http://www.damonledet.com

Kerry77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2006, 06:17 AM

How do you know if your i-pod falls into which generation....I have a Nano got it for xmas in '05. Does this mean mine is affected by this battery problem??

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2006, 02:01 PM

Kerry, I think claims had to be recieved by September or something. That would mean yours is not covered, I believe. I don't think nano's were affected anyways.

*eagerly awaits $50 apple credit* come on, mama needs a new mac mini.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by webcookie
*eagerly awaits $50 apple credit* come on, mama needs a new mac mini.

Yep - how damn long is this supposed to take?

Has anybody gotten paid yet?
cpac

vinster
Senior User
Apr 8, 2006, 02:19 PM

We should be getting e-mails with instructions on how to claim the $50 coupon this month. See the www.appleipodsettlement.com website for details.

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by vinster
We should be getting e-mails with instructions on how to claim the $50 coupon this month. See the www.appleipodsettlement.com website for details.
Excellent. Thank you.

(Per my other post, my shuffle just died, and should Apple choose not to replace it or fix it free, I'd like $50 off a nano...)
cpac

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by vinster
This is what I got off the above site this morning:

[[A) Approved Claim Submissions
Gen 1/2 and Gen 3 Store Credit claims

Fulfillment of approved claims for the $50 Store Credit will begin on April 7, 2006.
A Discount Code number and Instructions will be mailed to Claimants whose submissions were valid and complete. ]]

Someone post when they get their mail. It should be this week.

volcano
Senior User
Apr 9, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kerry77
How do you know if your i-pod falls into which generation....I have a Nano got it for xmas in '05. Does this mean mine is affected by this battery problem??
No, your Nano does not qualify.

"1st generation" means the first iPod model introduced by Apple in October 2001. Both 1st and 2nd generation iPods were large bricks that were only compatible with Macs - and they were only connectable via FireWire.

"3rd generation" refers to the iPod with a stationary touch wheel, with four buttons across the top. It was the first iPod to feature a dock connector - and thus, it was compatible with both USB 2.0 and FireWire.

The current iPod (with video capabilities) is considered the "5th generation" iPod, and your iPod Nano lacks a generation title, because it hasn't been updated or revised since its introduction in September 2005.

Zim
Senior User
Apr 10, 2006, 09:13 PM

My 3rd Gen $50 voucher showed up today in the mail. Mini will be on order tomorrow.

Mike

Edit: @#%@#%@@#$ you can't use this in conjuction with Educational/Partner store discount (Intel in my case). It does say the credit is transferrable... anyone wanna buy $50 credit for $40? (PM me)
( Last edited by Zim; Apr 11, 2006 at 12:45 PM. )

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Very interesting indeed. I'm surprised Apple caved on this one. Doesn't this set a very dangerous precedent that could expose Apple to liability over other claims of reduced battery life? It's not like LiOn batteries last indefinitely. In other words, doesn't this open the door to similar lawsuits against PBs and iBooks? The settlement is limited to 1-3G iPods, but I have to wonder if it would have extended to 4Gs had the suit been filed later on.

This settlement will cost Apple a significant chunk of change. But Interestingly, unlike so many other class action suits, this one will actually provide owners tangible returns. I too have to wonder how Apple makes the determination that some 3G owners will get replacement iPods while others will only get replacement batteries:

A. Benefits for Class Members Who Purchased or Obtained a New Third Generation iPod
If you are a Class Member who purchased or obtained a new Third Generation iPod on or before May 31, 2004:
Apple will extend the one-year limited warranty on that iPod for one additional year solely to cover Battery Failures. If the iPod experiences or has experienced Battery Failure during the one-year extension period, and you submit a valid claim, you have the option of either:

returning the iPod to Apple, which will, in its sole discretion, send you either a battery replacement or a replacement iPod at no charge to you (except for shipping and handling fees applicable under Apple's iPod limited warranty, which will be paid by the Class Member); or
receiving a Store Credit in the amount of $50.00 by mail.
What would people sue apple about the pb or ibook?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2006, 07:06 AM

I'm waiting for mine. Wonder when they will get to 'S'?

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 09:06 AM

I'm wondering if they're going by order received, or original purchase date or what. I'm an "O," despite my profile name -- I use two last names, which makes life somewhat confusing sometimes). I probably used "O" for all this stuff, instead of "B," and I have not yet received my $50 off coupon.

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2006, 09:46 AM

I recieved my coupon quite a few days ago.
Saving it for a new (well, refurb) Mac Mini.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

vinster
Senior User
Apr 24, 2006, 08:56 PM

I received mine today. Will use it to buy a new iPod as soon as a new model's released. I submitted my claim on September 8th, 2005.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2006, 09:39 PM

I got mine today, 50 clams for my 1st gen.

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 09:05 AM

I want mine...

SLiMeX
Senior User
Apr 25, 2006, 12:39 PM

i wish i know about this sooner!

my third gen holds a good 3 hour charge!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Donny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 11:32 AM

Got mine a week ago for my 1st gen.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Apr 28, 2006, 09:58 PM

Got mine today. Unfortunetly, I dont have the additional cash for the iPod video.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2006, 06:49 PM

I'm still waiting!!

kitcho
May 20, 2006, 04:55 PM

i think apple needs to stress the importance of proper charing cycles.It is in apple's intrest to not have easily replaceable batteries because many people will simply go out and buy new ipods rather than replacing the battery on an otherwise perfectly functional device. Good for apple, sucks for consumers. (not refering to settlement but rather refering to the hard-to-change batteries).

Stingrey
Forum Regular
May 23, 2006, 08:42 AM

did you guys get an e-mail first, or just a coupon in the mail?

Masters2010
May 23, 2006, 09:30 AM

So I have a gen 3 ipod with crappy battery life, and it looses its entire charge just being left off. Can I send it in and get a replacement?

bbales
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
I'm still waiting!!
As am I. So about 10 days ago I wrote the law firm (found it on the web site) and finally received a reply last night. I don't have it on this computer but will post it in a bit. It outlines the whole time line.

bbales
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 09:58 AM

Here's the e-mail on the settlement process.

[[Thank you for your email. Letters for the $50 Apple-store credit began going out April 7, 2006. The letters are going out in weekly batches and will continue to go out in the order that the claim forms were received by the Claims Administrators. When you will receive your letter depends on when you originally submitted your claim form as well as how many claim forms were sent in before yours.

I do have information that those who submitted their claim forms in early June 2005 have already received letters with the certificate codes. Additionally, the Claims Administrators anticipate that the $50 Apple-store credit codes will be sent for all valid and complete claims received as of December 31, 2005 by approximately July 2006. If your claim form was submitted earlier in 2005 you can expect to receive a letter sooner, but I do not have specific information concerning individual class members' statuses.

Battery/iPod Replacement claims deemed valid and complete by the claims administrator will also receive instructions for sending in their iPods in the order such claims were received (i.e., those claims received by the claims administrator first will receive instructions first.)

Apple began sending out instruction letters for obtaining battery/iPod replacement to those claimants who submitted valid claims in early May 2006. Apple anticipates that all claimants who submitted valid and completed claims by December 31, 2005 will receive instructions for obtaining battery/iPod replacement by approximately July 2006.

Apple anticipates sending out letters to claimants who submitted a deficient claim (i.e., no serial number, no proof of purchase, etc.) in approximately mid-May 2006. Claimants who receive a deficiency letter will have 60 days to attempt to correct and resubmit their claim.

In order to check the status of your claim, you need to call the Claims Administrator's office, as they are handling the processing of the claims. Our law firm does not have access to the claims so we cannot check on your status for you. If all representatives are busy you can leave a message and you should be contacted back by a specialist at the Claims Administrator's office.

For your convenience, that information is printed below. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

To reach a specialist at the Claims Administration office, dial 1-888-385-3085 and select option 4 (FAQs) and then option 19 (followed by the pound key). If no one is available to take your call you can leave a message to have someone call you back.

We will provide any updates regarding the benefit distribution process on our website at www.girardgibbs.com <http://www.girardgibbs.com/> .

We sincerely appreciate your patience during the claims fulfillment process.]]

Stingrey
Forum Regular
May 23, 2006, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! Just wanted to make sure I didn't kill my catch all on my e-mail address and thereby hose my chance of getting my rebate somehow. Seems like a noted e-mail address on the claim form may not play into this process at all, though, so I should be OK still.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2006, 07:59 AM

Claim update: I got two "you effed up your claim paperwork" notices on Friday. On one, they did not accept the printouts from my email as a receipt for the proof of purchase for the iPod. On the other, I apparantly forgot to check the box that said, "I certify..." blah blah blah.

So I dug out my CC paperwork to take care of the receipt one and checked the box on the other then signed them both. Hopefully, it won't take another 12 months to get the settlement.

bbales
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 09:04 AM

I got my letter Saturday, I think. It, too, informed that I'd forgotten to check some box certifying that I'd TRIED to deal with the battery problems. So I checked the box certifying that I had and the form is back on its way to the claims adjustor. I like how they do NOT provide an addressed envelope. It didn't stop me by any means, but it shows they're certainly not going to make it any easier to get your settlement.

Stingrey
Forum Regular
May 31, 2006, 09:40 AM

I got the "you forgot to check I certify" one as well. I submitted two, though, and have yet to hear back on the other one, so maybe I got one right :)

Dr.Michael
May 31, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Looks like Apple lost in court about its battery claims. If you have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Gen iPod and its battery went bad you can get $50 Credit, a replacement iPod, or $25.

http://www.appleipodsettlement.com/

I want to know if its a NEW iPod you'll be getting. That would be nice.
My 1rst gen iPod still runs 9 hours. WHAT A PITY .

chimericalone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 05:43 PM

Did anyone opt for the battery replacement instead of store credit? I've got the 3rd generation iPod.

Forum Links
Forum Rules