Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > iPhone interface hint at Illuminous UI?

iPhone interface hint at Illuminous UI?
G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 04:32 PM

Just wondering what people think about this...

R

siMac
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 04:38 PM

If so then colour me curious....

I like the iPhone interface but I'm not sure how well it would translate into a full-blown desktop GUI.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2007, 05:12 PM

I think it would look very nice. Anybody want to start working on a gui kit?
I think the icons look awesome. very clean. very polished.

gautch
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 06:13 PM

Im seeing hints of Vista... Im still on the fence about liking the iPhone or not...

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 07:18 PM

After seeing the iphone i will love anything else apple throws us.

vfunct
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 09:41 PM

I think actually this is pointing to a new direction in the design of Macs. Their laptops could easily be replaced with keyboards using a large touch sensor and where Dashboard widgets are placed. Wasn't there a recent patent from apple precisely about this? I think 2008 MWSF will bring those kinds of announcements. 17" MacBook Pro with touch sensor and 64GB flash-drive. Or a new Mac Pro keyboard.

I'm hoping some of the consistency in the iPhone UI goes into OS X real soon. A problem I see is their user interfaces changes are actually moving real fast. Their iPod interface is different from FrontRow which is different from iPhone which is different from OS X. They really should start to settle down on a consistent format across platforms, at least. The Dashboard-like format could be it.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 11:59 PM

I doubt so. iPhone's UI is designed with fingers in mind, not cursor or stylus pen. That's why everything is giant in iPhone so you can press them easily, just like Wii interface. It won't be easy to translate them to standard desktop and not make them look fisher-priceish.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 02:47 AM

OK... I watched the keynote... I listened REALLY closely. Here is what I think based on what I heard/saw.

This is the new interface for Leopard. After all, Steve said, the iPhone runs OSX!
Compared with what I saw and the rumors that are floating around, especially the "Shiny and Translucent" rumor... I would bet this is the new UI.

Judging how Apple made the the Aperture app's UI, I think that the entire OS is going to be really really sleek and sexy with shiny black trans. Bring it on baby...

R

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 02:49 AM

Actually.... The new Front Row interface has the shiny black selector bar and other elements from the iPhone. Look close; they are there...

I'm hoping some of the consistency in the iPhone UI goes into OS X real soon. A problem I see is their user interfaces changes are actually moving real fast. Their iPod interface is different from FrontRow which is different from iPhone which is different from OS X. They really should start to settle down on a consistent format across platforms, at least. The Dashboard-like format could be it.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 05:14 AM

Hmm. I noticed that Steve and the iPhone referred to a desktop picture as "wallpaper"...

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
Hmm. I noticed that Steve and the iPhone referred to a desktop picture as "wallpaper"...
Probably because every other phone calls it wallpaper. And because the iPhone doesn't have a desktop as such.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 11:29 PM

I thought this as well. haha.

Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
Probably because every other phone calls it wallpaper. And because the iPhone doesn't have a desktop as such.

Forum Links
Forum Rules