Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Strange name tags on folders!

Strange name tags on folders!
voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2008, 04:25 AM

Hi there,
Whilst checking through "/username/Library/Preferences/" for the "com.apple.iCal.plist" file in order to remove it (a fix) because of a small problem with the "Today" button being greyed out in 'iCal', I came across a bunch of folders with strange and random name tags - the sort I have never seen before! Here are just a few of the folder 'names' :
''ë†eìXøˇ–
Z†œ£Xøˇœ 迃døˇœêD@B
&°A†¯òøˇ«–迃døˇ»@D@B
&œ±†5XøˇŒ@迃døˇŒ∞D@B
=À!†¯òøˇ–
%À†5#Xøˇœ 迃døˇœêD@B
Ò°†¯òøˇ«–迃døˇ»@D@B
There are about 26 of them - all of the folders are empty ..
Could anyone out there throw some 'light' on this and let me know what they are, if they are important and what purpose they serve? And also could I safely trash them if they are not needed. As usual, any advice is received with grateful thanks!
voicebox
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2008, 06:09 AM

You can trash anything in the Preferences folder you want. The worst thing that happens is that application settings are set back to their defaults or you might have to reenter a registration code.

Those folders were probably created by an erratically behaving application. I would just trash them.

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
You can trash anything in the Preferences folder you want. The worst thing that happens is that application settings are set back to their defaults or you might have to reenter a registration code.

Those folders were probably created by an erratically behaving application. I would just trash them.
Thanks for your reply Tetenal.
I have moved all the folders into a separate folder ready for trashing.
How would I find out which application is behaving erratically by the way?
best
voicebox
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by voicebox View Post
Thanks for your reply Tetenal.
I have moved all the folders into a separate folder ready for trashing.
How would I find out which application is behaving erratically by the way?
best
voicebox
Check the creation and/or modification date on the folders. Unless you opened them and the FInder created some invisible .DS_Store file in them it will tell you when you ran the application that created them.

-

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Moonray View Post
Check the creation and/or modification date on the folders. Unless you opened them and the FInder created some invisible .DS_Store file in them it will tell you when you ran the application that created them.

-
Thanks Moonray - but they have gone .. straight to the trash ...
If they reappear, I will follow your advice ....
best
voicebos

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2008, 08:05 PM

You might also check your hard drive in Disk Utility. Sometimes weirdly named folders are symptoms of a messed-up file system.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2008, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You might also check your hard drive in Disk Utility. Sometimes weirdly named folders are symptoms of a messed-up file system.
Hi Chuckit,
Thanks for your reply.
I had the same thoughts exactly about possible messed-up files so I did indeed verify the disk and repair disk permissions. At the moment the offending files have not reappeared ......
best
voicebox

voicebox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post

Hi Tetenal,
An update ...
You were right! I have found the 'erratically behaving application' that is creating these odd files - Photoshop CS ..
The app creates an odd file every time I open it because it's a PPC application, and is not Universal.
On the other hand, P/shop CS does function OK when it is open, although when I close it down it does tend to crash!
Hey-ho, it looks as though I will be using Aperture from now on!
best
voicebox

Forum Links
Forum Rules