Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safari losing WAN connectivity when IE doesn't!

Safari losing WAN connectivity when IE doesn't!
pdmarsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 01:58 AM

Over the past several months I've been having an annoying recurring issue of Safari/Mail/.Mac/iSync losing Internet connectivity every few days (2 - 7) when Internet Explorer doesn't. I'm wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this issue?

This is happening on two separate Macs, one a 1GHz G4 Tower (Sawtooth) and the other a 1GHz 17" LCD iMac. The old tower is running 10.2.8 with 896MB RAM and the iMac is running 10.3 with 768MB RAM. Both are configured for DHCP and get their IP addresses from a SpeedStream 5660 DSL Router on my home network. When Safari/et. al. lose connectivity to the Internet (and while IE continues to access the Internet just fine), they can still access everything else (printers, Windows PCs) locally.

I've held off reporting this because I thought it might be a Jaguar issue, but even with an Archive and Install setup in Panther on the iMac, the issue continues. A simple restart resolves the issue each time. However I've found with Panther that can take several minutes (as Mirror Agent fails to quit for iDisk synchronization, and I have to wait for connectivity to other AFP connections to be broken).

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I've tried simplifying by disabling iDisk, and turning off Sharing, but that didn't help, and I've also tried repairing permissions with Disk Utilities, to no avail. I'm running out of ideas to try.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2003, 08:19 AM

Yup, happening here too although it's only started happening in Panther. I find a quit of Safari fixes it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules