Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Give up Dual 2ghz for PB?

Give up Dual 2ghz for PB?
blindemboss
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2005, 08:56 PM

I may have the opportunity to get a 15" PB through work. Problem is, I'd have to give up my Dual 2ghz G5 PowerMac.
Of course the G5 is more powerful plus it has 2gb of RAM. But I'd love to have a laptop at my disposal say on the weekend or god forbid, bring work home.

I'd mostly be using Illustrator and Quark. Occasionally dipping into Photoshop, but not any serious high rez retouching stuff. More for position only.

I have a large LCD so screen real estate is not an issue. I'm just wondering if a 1.5ghz G4 laptop can cut it in a real world design shop environment? Anyone?

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2005, 09:04 PM

It can def. cut it, it's just a matter of whether or not you want to give up a g5 for it.

osxisfun
Sep 13, 2005, 10:01 PM

No.

I went from a dual 2 g5 to a powerbook and now 4 months later I am back to a dual 2 g5.

just found that I wanted screens, storage and speed more than mobility...

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2005, 12:43 AM

it can definitely handle all design programs easily...but for long render times...the dual will kick its arse. i do lots of design work on my 12" 1GHz and it handles just fine, but on that note...id love a duallie for some of my larger files.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

blindemboss  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
No.

I went from a dual 2 g5 to a powerbook and now 4 months later I am back to a dual 2 g5.

just found that I wanted screens, storage and speed more than mobility...

As I mentioned, I have a large external LCD, so that's not the issue...plus we have wads of storage at work...it really boils down to speed.
As long as I'm not going to notice a big hit on speed, like duplicating or rotating group items in Illustrator, I'll be okay.

osxisfun
Sep 14, 2005, 11:53 AM

i switched back so i could hook up 2 dell 24" lcds. one lcd is not enough for me.

as for speed. there is a tremedous difference. at first i thought "this is ok" (powerbook) but the duals allow you to split tasks and results in a much much more responsive system.

next yearss intel powermacs should be nirvana.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2005, 02:43 PM

I wouldn't do it if it means you will be expected to do more work by working at home.

If you have a forward-looking employer that does not need the face time, it would let you work at home for mission-critical projects.

But even the best, fully loaded current laptop is most definitely not in the same class as a dual G5.

Can you borrow the powerbook for awhile to see how things go before you take the plunge?

blindemboss  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker
I wouldn't do it if it means you will be expected to do more work by working at home.

If you have a forward-looking employer that does not need the face time, it would let you work at home for mission-critical projects.

But even the best, fully loaded current laptop is most definitely not in the same class as a dual G5.

Can you borrow the powerbook for awhile to see how things go before you take the plunge?

Well the IT guy is placing the order so I think I've made my bed. He also warned me that it'll be half the speed. But hopefully the benefits of me having a portable for my own purposes (watching movies in bed, on my deck and at the coffee shops) will outweigh any slow down in my work.

It's a pretty cool company, plus I've always brought work home anyways on my iPod and then worked on it on my lowly iMac 700. So this laptop will be faster than that.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2005, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by blindemboss
Well the IT guy is placing the order so I think I've made my bed. He also warned me that it'll be half the speed. But hopefully the benefits of me having a portable for my own purposes (watching movies in bed, on my deck and at the coffee shops) will outweigh any slow down in my work.
you'll be fine. pbooks rule. i'll never be chained to a space hogging desktop again.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2005, 12:31 AM

I agree - if your 700 MHz iMac would serve your needs, the new PB will be great,

Get the extra RAM -- 2 GB if possible -- to keep OSX from using the hard drive, and you'll help with the speed loss.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2005, 02:08 AM

I say NO too.

I sold my 2.0ghz PowerMac and used my 1.5ghz PowerBook exclusively for a couple weeks. That was painful enough for me to buy a 2.7ghz PowerMac when it was released.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules