Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Buying Secondhand / Used / Pre-owned Things?

Buying Secondhand / Used / Pre-owned Things?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 11:24 AM

I like to scout the eBay auctions and Craigslist ads and Hoobly ads for things.

Anyone else know of any other really good sites for stuff?

I don't even know why I look on them, except that sometimes I see really great things dirt cheap. I just bought my son a brand new in-the-box toy that he's really wanted for a long time for only $50 when new it is $200. I think I should feel badly because I bought it from Craigslist and not at Target. It works perfectly, etc., it's just that she bought it and then realized that he wasn't old enough to use it (it's an electronic gadget) and she didn't want to store it.

Anyone else do the same?

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 16, 2005, 11:39 AM

If the price and condition are great I love buying second hand goods. I once bought a pair of sneakers at a market for 20 dollars and sold them on ebay for over 200. Way to go Cubeoid!

memento
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 12:10 PM

I sure do. Got a mint, working, eMate in the box with all SW nad accessories for $50. We just bought a $4000 antique french dining room set off eBay. Of course, they were within driving distance so we visited them and checked everything out thoroughly.

I regularly peruse ebay and just found craigslist. We have a local "want ad digest" that has a website. Do you have anything like that or a pennysaver? They will most likely have a site.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 12:13 PM

I really like your sig, memento.

I feel guilty about it. I feel like some binge eater or something when I visit Craigslist. I'm addicted to looking at it. I'm very secretive about it - I don't want my spouse seeing that I look there or shop there.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 12:16 PM

Audiogon.com for audio equipment.

In fact, I'm in the middle of a transaction there today.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 12:21 PM

I have always preferred to purchase new. Miss you Cody.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 12:27 PM

I like new things too.

But I have a part of me that LOVES getting something really great for a lot less.

It's like someone handing you the item - and a fistful of cash too. Especially when it comes to cars.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 01:20 PM

I like getting stuff used and in good condition. I'll go out of my way to do that, so I can save some money. I have a used car, used guitar (mind you, it's 41 years old and a classic), used computer (my old one from the office when I upgraded), etc.

But there are couple of things I try to buy new and from stores.

Books from living authors. Music from young musicians and bands. And shoes.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

memento
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I really like your sig, memento.

Danny Carey is the drummer from Tool. Very deep and moving lyrics on most of their stuff, but their last album was beyond description (IMHO). Lateralus.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2005, 02:53 PM

Not fond of buying used stuff, so only do it when absolutely required (i.e. stuff which they don't make any more).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 16, 2005, 03:02 PM

I like to scout the eBay auctions and Craigslist ads and Hoobly ads for things.

Anyone else know of any other really good sites for stuff?

I don't even know why I look on them, except that sometimes I see really great things dirt cheap. I just bought my son a brand new in-the-box toy that he's really wanted for a long time for only $50 when new it is $200. I think I should feel badly because I bought it from Craigslist and not at Target. It works perfectly, etc., it's just that she bought it and then realized that he wasn't old enough to use it (it's an electronic gadget) and she didn't want to store it.

Anyone else do the same?
I don't buy anything new. Most new products are built poorly, and they don't last long. They're also not exclusive. I find things made in the 20s-60s have much better build quality, better style, they're cheaper, and they're way more distinctive and exclusive. Hell, I even purchased my wife's engagement ring on ebay.

andi*pandi
Dec 16, 2005, 03:22 PM

I've got nothing against ebay or craigslist, or freecycle for that matter... I just don't have the patience for a lot of searching. ebay has a decent search so I use that most, for kids clothes, new and used, and other stuff I don't think I'd be able to find/get to a store for.

just about to do my first craigslist sale... if I'd thought ahead I would have bought there too, but thought I could sell the old item to the shop where I bought my new item.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 04:53 PM

I just bought my son a brand new in-the-box toy that he's really wanted for a long time for only $50 when new it is $200. I think I should feel badly because I bought it from Craigslist and not at Target.
Ahh, yes. Consumerism has gotten to you. Are you giving your son something he wants? Yes. Are you giving him something in a condition that you wouldn't be happy with for yourself? No.

You don't have anything to feel guilty about. The purpose of a gift isn't to incur a cost to yourself, it's to give the other person something that they will be happy to receive. If you got a good deal, you could use it as an opportunity to give something else to your son, be it a physical item or a $150 contribution to his college fund.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 16, 2005, 05:07 PM

That's the other reason I enjoy getting used things: It ****s up consumerism.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 05:13 PM

What about cars? All of my cars have been used/pre-owned etc. That might have something to do with me liking classic cars of course, but I would never buy a new car in any case. You lose 30% of the purchase price the second you drive off the forecourt.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 16, 2005, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
What about cars? All of my cars have been used/pre-owned etc. That might have something to do with me liking classic cars of course, but I would never buy a new car in any case. You lose 30% of the purchase price the second you drive off the forecourt.
Exactly. Plus for the price of a new boring car you can get a used sweet car for less than half the price.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2005, 05:51 PM

I like purchasing items at a discount.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by MightyWinnebago
Buying used things is great if you're looking to save money, to "screw big businesses out of a dollar", or whatever reason you may have, but I don't see how it "****s up consumerism".

If consumerism is "the theory that an increasing consumption of goods is economically desirable" (per Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary) , wouldn't refusing to buy anything (new or used) actually be anti-consumerism?
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 06:16 PM

That's ridiculous.

The only good reason to do it is to save money for yourself and consider yourself "recycling" on a personal level. Not enough people buy things used to have it make a huge impact on anything but cars and books.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2005, 12:18 AM

Used just gets rid of that depreciation.... speaking of that... anyone need a snowblower, chainsaw, freezer, etc? I'm movin! Soorrryyy... BOT

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2005, 02:49 AM

but with the name mighty winnebago, i'm not sure.

the only thing i buy new are macs, and the last one was in '99?
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 17, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera
Buying used things is great if you're looking to save money, to "screw big businesses out of a dollar", or whatever reason you may have, but I don't see how it "****s up consumerism".

If consumerism is "the theory that an increasing consumption of goods is economically desirable" (per Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary) , wouldn't refusing to buy anything (new or used) actually be anti-consumerism?
Sorta. But to me consumerism is kinda the reasoning that most people have to constantly buy new stuff. I don't buy stuff that often. And when I do, I try to get it used first, or not from a big store. Seems to me I'm not supporting hte conglomerates that push consumerism on everybody, so by that rational I'm helping to not 'enforce' consumerism, because the small businesses I do spend money on don't advertise on TV, stuff like that.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 17, 2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by pathogen
That's ridiculous.

The only good reason to do it is to save money for yourself and consider yourself "recycling" on a personal level. Not enough people buy things used to have it make a huge impact on anything but cars and books.
I don't know. I've probably spent thousands of dollars on used goods that I would have had to have spent twice that to get everything new. >shrug<

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 02:39 PM

wallinbl
Are you giving your son something he wants? Yes. Are you giving him something in a condition that you wouldn't be happy with for yourself? No.

You don't have anything to feel guilty about. The purpose of a gift isn't to incur a cost to yourself, it's to give the other person something that they will be happy to receive. If you got a good deal, you could use it as an opportunity to give something else to your son, be it a physical item or a $150 contribution to his college fund.
Thanks! That was a GREAT post!

andi*pandi
Dec 17, 2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
Used just gets rid of that depreciation.... speaking of that... anyone need a snowblower, chainsaw, freezer, etc? I'm movin! Soorrryyy... BOT
hmm, what kind of chainsaw? what else ya got?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 03:12 PM

Yeah, let's start a MacNNList.org can we? Of course there will be a Mac column first and foremost.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2005, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
hmm, what kind of chainsaw? what else ya got?

I wish U could list and sell. Currently there is a pile of stuff for goodwill or Salvation Army...

but plenty of of sellable as well..

BTW
The chainsaw is a Poulan Wild Thing, used once.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 19, 2005, 06:50 AM

I don't mind buying used so long as I can return it if there's a problem. I usually end up buying refurb stuff online to save on the price. I prefer new, of course, but sometimes used will do. I recently bought a video card from a guy and it works perfectly well. He was just selling cause he bought a spiffy one and wanted to get rid of the less-than-spiffy one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules